UK finally pays off USA war debt.

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:34 pm
Sorry it took so long, chaps!

Britain will settle its World War II debts to the US and Canada when it pays two final instalments before the close of 2006, the Treasury has said.
The payments of $83.25m (£42.5m) to the US and US$22.7m (£11.6m) to Canada are the last of 50 instalments since 1950.

The amount paid back is nearly double that loaned in 1945 and 1946. "This week we finally honour in full our commitments to the US and Canada for the support they gave us 60 years ago," said Treasury Minister Ed Balls.

"It was vital support which helped Britain defeat Nazi Germany and secure peace and prosperity in the post-war period. We honour our commitments to them now as they honoured their commitments to us all those years ago," he added.

The last payments will be made on Friday, the final working day of the year.

Under the lend-lease programme, which began in March 1941, the then neutral US could provide countries fighting Adolf Hitler with war material.

The US joined the war soon after - in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbour - and the programme ended in 1945.

Equipment left over in Britain at the end of hostilities and still needed had to be paid for.

The US loaned $4.33bn (£2.2bn) to Britain in 1945, while Canada loaned US$1.19 bn (£607m) in 1946, at a rate of 2% annual interest.

Upon the final payments, the UK will have paid back a total of $7.5bn (£3.8bn) to the US and US$2 bn (£1bn) to Canada.

Despite the favourable rates there were six years in which Britain deferred payment because of economic or political crises.

There are still World War I debts owed to and by Britain. Since a moratorium on all debts from that conflict was agreed at the height of the Great Depression, no repayments have been made to or received from other nations since 1934.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6215847.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:37 pm
great and of course it will go directly into georges Iraq war chest..... good deal.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:37 pm
What about all the child support those damn Yankees owe?

x
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:38 pm
Oy, what about that five quid Poodle Blair suckered me for at the chipper last month, eh, eh?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:40 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
great and of course it will go directly into georges Iraq war chest..... good deal.

He's been getting it every year he's been in Office so far, Bear.

The good news is that he won't get any more!

Hoorah!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:41 pm
smorgs wrote:
What about all the child support those damn Yankees owe?

x

Didn't they pay that in nylons and choccies?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:42 pm
About freekin time limey. Now where did I put my US War Savings Stamps and Dominion of Canada War Savings Certificates circa 1944?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:44 pm
I don't think even the Yanks had access to choccies...

Gum, more like.

Still, they did give us MacDonalds!

x
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:55 pm
The "Yanks" had access to chocolates, chewing gum, nylon stockings and a whole host of other "inducements" . . .

For a fascinating look at Americans in England during the late unpleasantness, i recommend:

Rich Relations: The American Occupation of Britain, 1942-1945, David Reynolds.

Your boys used to say that the problem with Americans was that they were:

Overpaid
Oversexed
And over here . . .
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 03:02 pm
I just have to ask my Mum, set!

She's was always clad in nylons, dancing the night away to Glenn Miller at the Levenshulme Palais.

Come to think of it - she looks like she's chewing gum in every photo of her circa 1944.

My Mum won a Beauty Contest when she was younger (true).

And I think I have a look of Patton around the eyes...

x
0 Replies

giordansmith

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 02:11 am
So many questions ...
Doesn't it raise an awful lot of questions that Britain would be prepared to place itself in debt for over sixty years to destroy Germany?

What was REALLY at stake? The idea that Hitler had to be stopped is, at bottom, ludicrous - simply a propaganda scam like the ephemeral panics about Castro, Nasser, Gaddafi, Saddam, Chavez and Ahmadinejad that I have lived through in my lifetime. So what was WWII really about, for the British?

One possible explanation, I would suggest, is that a constantly indebted government can't afford much by way of social expenditure. The English ruling class has always loathed the idea of welfare, that is, of the people getting any of their taxes back in the form of social spending.

So the result was that, for most of the postwar period, most ordinary British people were living in semi-squalor. Certainly, Brits had it much worse that Danes, Swedes, Norwegians, Dutch, Germans etc. etc. (When I travelled around the UK for a year in the 70s and crossed the Channel and explored northern Europe, the difference in living standards was like that between night and day. It wasn't until I got to East Germany and Poland that I encountered comparably low living standards.)

Maybe the intention all along was to ensure that the British state never acquired enough surplus cash that it could afford to fund an adequate welfare state on Scandinavian lines.

Giordan Smith
http://holocaust-lies.blogspot.com/
0 Replies