Privacy alert!!!

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:30 pm
When I came in the three of them were already working hard at attaching the living room camera.
"Uh, hello??" I said.
"Hiyah," replied the one in the green tee-shirt. "Dis won't take too long. Be outta here in an hour tops."
"What are you doing?" I asked looking at the tall one string wire down my hallway.
"Oh! Jeez. Al! C'm'ere, here another one that ain't heard the news."
Al breathed a long sigh and dropped the stapler he was holding and reached into his rear jeans pocket. As he came over to me he unfolded the four or five pages of paper and smoothed them on his belly. "By order of the Office of Homeland Security, the US government is installing cameras in every room in every house, apartment, business...."
"Every dog house, outhouse, cat house.."chuckled green teeshirt.
"Shut up, Jerome, " said Al, " Sorry about that. Where was I.. oh, in order than all persons of the USA remain secure in their persons, homes, papers and effects." He smiled and went back to stapling the wires into the kitchen.
"But this is my home, what about my privacy?"
"I don't know babe, but the Constitution don't say the word 'privacy', but it does say 'secure' and Mr. Ashcroft wants to be able to look in on you and make sure you are secure every moment of the day or night."

==
Jerome was right, they were gone in forty minutes. The new white wires clashed with the just off white of the walls. I could hear the camera mount
motors being tested in the bedroom and bath, then all was quiet. I sat down on the sofa and stared at the black tv screen, it stared back.

Joe
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:38 pm
Joe,

Funny thing is, most people who have installed their own cameras for security use wireless systems that a 5 year old could penetrate.

That would be more in keeping with the subject of the thread.

Many people install cameras in their homes (to watch babysitters or whatever) and then leave it on a frequency that is publically accessible....

Legal too.

But if you really want to get paranoid about privacy let's talk illegal ways..

If you are talking in a room with a window a lazer can be aimed at the window that measures the vibrations in the glass. Thereby letting the person with the lazer kisten in on your conversation.

Teachnology that is currently available to everyone also allows you to park your car next to a house and see everything that is displayed on a computer screen in the hosue. With no wiring etc...

But then again we all knew that if one is willing to break the law privacy can be breached.

What I'm talking about is when people list their information publically and then scream that the sky is falling.

Actually, in my experience it has mainly been people who do not publically list their info screaming about otehrs who do.

It's kinda like seeing a lost dog notice on a telephone pole and freaking out because privacy has been breached.

After all, these days your phone number could even end up on a telephone pole!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:39 pm
Who can it be knocking at my door?
Go 'way, don't come 'round here no more.
Can't you see that it's late at night?
I'm very tired, and I'm not feeling right.
All I wish is to be alone;
Stay away, don't you invade my home.
Best off if you hang outside,
Don't come in - I'll only run and hide.

Who can it be now?
Who can it be now?
Who can it be now?
Who can it be now?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:39 pm
Wait,

that was supposed to go on the Supreme Court string....well, never mind.... I feel better now......I think I will go lay down and have a nap.. I feel better every day now......

Did you know that they are going to make all the people like the same music and dance to it while listening to the news?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:46 pm
Yes, Joe. They'll start out with Ashcroft's theme song...

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you...

Damn, I was really having a good time with this thread until it became real. (shiver)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:01 pm
Eva: that power plant post was hysterical Cool I'm stealing it right now because you don't have any right to ---- wait, this is the funny thread right? um

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:22 pm
Get out the tinfoil hats, quick! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:26 pm
:-) You know how they say "You are what you eat"? Well, it seems like a lot of people have been eating a lot of things for quite some time now. You would think that we've been at it long enough, so that for some of us, you know, it would be time.

Well I saw on the news the other day that this boy went missing. They couldn't explain it, and displayed his picture as his parents talked about how upset and distraught they were. I couldn't figure it out why everyone was so confused though, except maybe they just hadn't been around the same places I've been.

If they'd just gone to the grocery store, I'm sure they would have seen him on the shelf, and realized that yeah, he finally did got milk.

------
Eeeeewwwwww.........

Ok, no more weirdness! This is a serious thread about serious worries!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:44 pm
Y'know, I was looking outside the other day and I couldn't help but notice that when it gets hot but you can still see the sun, most of the neighborhood windows are closed, and you can hear a loud whirring sound coming from the neighbors'. I investigated and found square devices in their windows, which occasionally dripped slight bits of water.

Then the temperature cooled down and the whirring stopped. My neighbors' windows opened. It was amazing. And frightening.

Then the heat returned, and with it the mysterious whirring noise.

I don't get it, but I'm scared.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:49 pm
And every time you had a grocery clerk a credit card, he immediately knows each and every thing about you, including your underwear size. Have you ever noticed the peculiar looks that you get every time that you swipe your credit card? THEY KNOW ALL.

They attempt to be polite by muttering inanities like "have a nice day", but do you know what they are REALLY thinking? They can't wait to get home and tell their friends what they just learned about you. Be very afraid!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 02:16 pm
I didn't realize until I got home and checked the receipt. I searched through all the bags, but they must have forgotten to put it in too. But apparently I bought 5% of the tax!

Do you have any idea who got the rest of it? I hope they don't mind that I got 5% of theirs and can't even find what happened to it either.

I got pretty worried that maybe they'd get mad, and track me down by the receipt. So I taped it to my neighbors door and just waited.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:06 pm
Didja ever notice how sometimes you can walk across a room and touch a doorknob and see a spark? Or you take a perfectly normal-looking shirt out of the closet and it sparks when you put it on? Ever wonder where all that electricity came from?

Go check all your receptacles. I'll bet one of them is uncovered. That lets the electricity leak out into the air.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:42 pm
I don't know if anyone here has noticed, but the newspaper always has the correct date at the top of the front page! It doesn't matter which newspaper you get, or if you buy it at the newsstand or get it delivered. The day's always right!

How do they all know?

I bet it's a conspiracy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:46 pm
Countin' Crows, that's the only answer for it . . .

D'jou ever notice how, when yer adrivin' down the road, all them fellers comin' from the other direction is always alookin' atcha? Why don't they pay attention to their drivin', an' watch the road. It's just plain creepy . . .
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:11 pm
http://www.anywho.com/qry/wp_fap?lastname=Bush&firstname=George&street=&city=&state=CA&zip=&btnsubmit.x=17&btnsubmit.y=13

Bush, George W

1251 Sky Crest Glen
ESCONDIDO, CA 92029
760-738-4649

Maps & Directions | Did you go to school with George W Bush?
Find More on George W Bush
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:56 pm
Thanks Techno, I wrote this GW Bush to complain that he should be living IN the White House, seeing as how I am PAYING for it. He has not yet replied.

(Please folks, this is a JOKE !!
Do not write or email this poor schmuck in
ESCONDIDO, CA 92029 . HEY this means you! )

Okay....go ahead but be original......
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:46 pm
Actually, I have quite often been led astray by Mapquest. I carefully print out their directions, only to find that they give me twenty extra turns and fifteen minutes longer to get to the starting point I want. From there, it's anybody's guess.

I don't have a little box in the window anymore, jespah. Now we have a big thing in a closet, and we have a bonus in that everytime it rains we can hear the pitter patter on its outside vent. Maybe it's a tapping code - who knows?

Anyway, this thread, and what you all are talking about, has given me new thoughts on privacy. Anybody who reads mysteries has long known that social security numbers were an open sesame, but that, for a sum of money, you can always get a different one. So maybe everybody should have at least two social security identities to foil identity theft.

And this is an open forum - so big brother is probably out there. I just know I've heard some of the posts here repeated on the media! No one's safe.
0 Replies