ALERT! Google can list your name, address & map via phone #

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:00 am
Google now can list your name, home address & a map to find you

Google has implemented a new feature where you can type someone's telephone
number into the search bar and hit enter and their name will appear. Then, if you click on the Mapquest or Yahoo icon shown, you will be given a map to their house.

I thought it must be a hoax, but checked it out myself and was astonished that it is not. I did check it out the phone numbers of family and friends. It included their full name and address---IF THEY HAVE DIRECTORY LISTED TELEPHONE NUMBERS.
ANOTHER REASON TO HAVE UNLISTED PHONE NUMBERS.

When I clicked on the mapquest and yahoo links, both gave me a map to their house!

Check it out if this concerns you, too!

I find this extremely alarming.

1) If your child gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually now look it up to find out WHERE you live AND get driving instructions to GET there.

2) If you are employed in any position where your "customers or clients" might want to track you down, this enables them to do that.

3) If you purchase a large ticket item and have to give your phone number, this enables someone to get a good tip on a possible home burglary target.

4) Battered women will have a harder time escaping and beginning a new life, if aware of how to "fix" this.

5) Other reasons for how this can be misused exist-just use your imagination.

Most people would only use this feature for reasonable purposes. My concern is with those people who would not. There are always the scum of society who well know how to manipulate the "system" to achieve their ends. I am concerned about a feature which makes it that much easier for them.

Results are given for both Yahoo and Mapquest, which actually put a star on the house, on the street, if there is an address listed with the public listing. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, type your number in the search bar of www.google.com with the dashes (eg.310-XXX-XXXX) and hit enter.

If your phone number is not publicly listed, you should be fine. For those of you wishing to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information click on the telephone icon to the left of your phone number after it locates you and you will see a link where you are allowed to REMOVE yourself from Google's database.

-----BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,477 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:04 am
Hmh. As far as I know, some online maps did so since some time - you even can see the house, when there is an aerial photo avalable.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:15 am
Yeah, you can already view an areal photo of most people's houses online.

BBB,

Google is just adding phone and map data that is already on the internet to its search database.

It never ceases to amaze me that people with publically listed info on the net act surprised. If they don't want it there don't put it there.

Google is a search engine that gives access to publically accessible data. If you want the info to be kept private then don't make it public.

Easy solution.

Now I wish there was an easy solution to get people to stop spreading overhyped emails to everyone they know.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 04:35 am
The reason people choose to have their phone number listed is ... to have their phone information publicly listed.

Fifteen years ago, anyone could buy the national phone book on a CD-ROM and do any type of search based on name, address, phone number, town, etc. When google takes this best-selling CD-ROM and puts it online, then link over to mapquest.com, they haven't actually done anything new. Darn!

--- B U T ---

Beware when you move. If you file the "Change of Address" form with the post office, your magazines will automatically be forwarded to your new home. This is public data that businesses subscribe to, so the entire world suddenly knows your new address!

If you really want to peek at somebody, trying looking up their birthday and zipcode history at www.anybirthday.com and then their entire history of property ownership and court cases at www.knowx.com or www.ussearch.com

Or, most county civil courts have all their case data online now. Their property tax records too, with owners name, address, parcel number, and dollar value of the property. You can go to each county website and search in just a few minutes.

Also check the local newspapers online. Most have every article from the last few years instantly searchable -- birth announcements, sports team rosters and results, school science fairs, business statements, auction announcements, any newsworthy tidbit is right there.

I discovered my car mechanic has a history of customer lawsuits against him!

Also, that he incorporated three other businesses, two of which went bankrupt, that he was divorced last year and the wife (her name and age) was awarded $150,000, he has two kids (names and ages), but he still owns a $320,000 house at a specific address three towns away from his business. He was a Eucharist Minister at a particular church on Easter. Then a few months after his DUI, two banks sued him for non-payment of credit card loans. The local BMW Motorcycle Club welcomed him by publishing his name in their newsletter (posted to the web), right next to their calendar of rides for the next six months.

I did nothing special to get this data. All I started with was his first and last name, and didn't even pay the $49 for the professional credit report and full background check.

Isn't the internet FUN ? :-) It's got your number!

-----
PS -- The fire department website even posted 52 photos of a call they made to his place of business, with detailed description of how they fought the fire. Apparently, my mechanic set fire to the building and was never seen again. And look! My car! My poor car is in the third photo! It's on the internet!

PPS -- *This* is why identity fraud is the fastest growing crime in America. If my mechanic ever buys another home in the United States, he will have quite a few people knocking on his door as soon as the papers go through.

But with a new identity, possibly lifted straight from his business files ...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:26 am
Thanks for the 411, everyone.

I some time ago removed myself from Google's database.

Code's information is mostly new to me...and fascinating.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:38 am
PDiddie, How do you remove yourself from Google?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:09 am
BBB

Germany has extremely strict privacy laws: the supreme court has acknowledged a right to "informational self-determination" and everyone storing personal data about others has to obtain consent from these persons, has to allow them access to their records, and can use the data only for the purpose they were originally collected for.
The federal government, all states, most counties and cities/towns have privacy ombudsmen or -women, who take citizen's complaints and make sure that the privacy laws are enforced and extended where appropriate. We Germans value our privacy highly and essentially everybody agrees with these laws.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:45 am
Swimpy wrote:
PDiddie, How do you remove yourself from Google?

Instructions are at the very end of Bumble's post above.

(edited for clarity's sake)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 11:53 am
I checked my phone number. The "subscriber" was correct, but I live on a Rural Route. Google listed an obsolete route number AND confessed that it was impossible to spot my house.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:08 pm
You can also be listed in the Yahoo Directory, even if you have an unlisted phone number. Yahoo also publishes your age and it also gives a stranger an opportunity to find out other relevant information about you.
By searching Yahoo, I actually found out that a friend of mine had prostate cancer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:20 pm
Giving such data of me to the public (when I disapproved it) could give someone a nice time: up to 3 years in prison (up to 5 years for civil servants etc).
0 Replies