What was your kids' favorite Christmas present?

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:41 am
As the saying goes it seems kids really like the box than the $500 gift inside. What surprise present did your kids like the best?

Mine - an ATM machine (8 year old) and an I Spy Go Fish card game (4 year old).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,064 • Replies: 18
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:44 am
My son: a book -- The Bad Beginning (Lemony Snicket)
My daughter: a 100 piece Spongebob Squarepants puzzle

Both of them got much bigger presents that they appreciate, like a bike and a scooter, but the weather hasn't been good enough to make use of them.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:11 pm
I'm in the process of determining this as we speak...still waiting on the verdict.

My husband always gave his 3 kids cash for Christmas. Out of sheer laziness. The kids were fine with it but coming from a gift-giving family, I started buying them gifts and after several years, have weaned them from the standard cash gift. This year, I ran out of time and we gave them gift cards. One kid can't decide which he likes better so, he's happy either way. The other two I haven't asked yet.

(I know that this isn't exactly what you mean Linkat but...)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:15 pm
Re: What was your kids' favorite Christmas present?
Linkat wrote:

Mine - an ATM machine (8 year old) and an I Spy Go Fish card game (4 year old).

Many adults consider an ATM their favorite toy too. So how is that a toy for an 8 year old? Do mommy and daddy put money in it so children think it's a bottomless pit or does it work like a piggy bank? (I'm hoping for the latter)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:25 pm
It works a bit like a piggy bank. You have an ATM card - you give it a secret code (just like mommy and daddy's), then you make a deposit. It does coins and dollars. It calculates your balance for you. My daughter loves this - she knows how much money she has saved so if there is some item she will want to buy, it helps her keep track of how close she is to obtaining that item.

I have been sworn to secrecy as I know the code.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:38 pm
My 14 year old daughter loves her digital camera(I got her a nice one and at a great sale price, but I plan on borrowing it for my trip to Europe because it's so small)

My 12 1/2 year old son loves his air soft rifle. He asked for a bb gun but I opted for the less dangerous version. He got eye protection to go with it and spent all afternoon yesterday shooting at cans in the back yard, of course wearing his eye protection and camo jacket.

He was so excited to see me try that I shot at a plastic container,hit it and the plastic bb bounced off and came right back at my face. And I wasn't wearing the eye protection. So he learned a very important lesson watching me do what I told him not to do. Embarrassed
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:01 pm
Beans favorite toy is the little plastic brown horse that came with the little people barn set.

Thats it.

Out of everything else.. she loves her "whooooo-rse "
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:07 pm
I thought about getting one of those, Linkat, they look cool. (The ATM.)

Sozlet's was probably the Webkinz that Santa brought her. She got one for her birthday (stuffed animal with code to "Webkinz World", Sims-type place where you create rooms, feed animals, earn money to do the first two, etc.) and decided it was lonely and really needed a friend. She was THRILLED.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:07 pm
I'm very much against gift cards. It's virtually the same as money; however you have restricted the recipient's spending to a specific store.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:42 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Beans favorite toy is the little plastic brown horse that came with the little people barn set.

Thats it.

Out of everything else.. she loves her "whooooo-rse "

I just love how kids love the smallest little item - not the high priced flashy stuff.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:44 pm
sozobe wrote:
I thought about getting one of those, Linkat, they look cool. (The ATM.)

Sozlet's was probably the Webkinz that Santa brought her. She got one for her birthday (stuffed animal with code to "Webkinz World", Sims-type place where you create rooms, feed animals, earn money to do the first two, etc.) and decided it was lonely and really needed a friend. She was THRILLED.

I haven't seen these - sounds like something my kids would like (and love anything with a teaching aspect) - will have to check them out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:48 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
I'm very much against gift cards. It's virtually the same as money; however you have restricted the recipient's spending to a specific store.

I like them especially when it is for a store, restaurant or spa that the recipient really loves, but would not normally foot the extra money for - kind of like giving them a luxury item - a nice restaurant that is expensive, a spa treatment, etc. If you simply gave them money, they may use it for a necessity or treat some one else (like I would envision my parents doing) rather than treating themselves.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:18 pm
So far, the favorite is the new dollhouse.

As for boxes, over this next year I'm going to literally give them some of those: How to build a cardboard castle.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:17 pm
DrewDad wrote:

As for boxes, over this next year I'm going to literally give them some of those: How to build a cardboard castle.

That looks like fun DD, but the best was finding a refrigerator box, getting into on your hands and knees and then making it roll forward like a tank.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:29 pm
My 11 year old got quite a bit this Christmas, as grandparents, godparents, and other relatives and friends all sent presents. She even received a digital camera, but her favorite is a book "How to draw anime characters" and since she loves to draw cartoons, it was just the perfect gift (from Mommy of course).

I like the ATM concept too, I would have liked that for myself when I was young.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 12:57 pm
12 year old SonofEva's big present was an iPod. He's wanted one for a very long time. He's been listening to it nonstop for three days so far. He's pretty thrilled with the lava lamp, too.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:28 pm
My daughter loved her nano so now I have her old shuffle. I love it for taking to the gym!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:00 am
My sis gives us American Express gift cards, because she lives on the other coast and doesn't have a clue to what we have already. My daughter bought a nice new winter coat, and I got a book, a santoku knife (gotta pay sis back for that) and a blues anthology CD. So gift cards don't have to be limited to one store at all... and if you don't know what to get, it's sometimes a nice choice.

Of course, we always write her a letter to thank her and let her know about our gifts!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:23 am
The best one of our godsons has got, was .... his own frontdoor key :wink:

http://i3.tinypic.com/4dgsvi0.jpg
0 Replies