I got dressed to go to the gym...

George

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 02:34 pm
Noddy, what do you do during a session?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 03:41 pm
Always the treadmill and the arm machine because I don't have the equipment at home.

Then a series with rubber balls and rubber bands designed to empower my thighs.

Leg lifts: Front, back and sideways. Full legs, half legs, kick, kick, kick.

Modified sit-ups.

Balance exercises: Flat floor, quiver cushion, one foot, foot-over-foot.

My goal is better balance, more stamina, more leg strength and possibly a smaller waistline.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 11:55 pm
Great job, this is good motivation for me. I didn't get out of work early enough to go tonight but will try to make spin class again tomorrow night.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:12 am
Marty--

Thinking of how much good the exercise will do doesn't really work for me. Thinking of the Rehab Center as Sanctuary where my daily problems aren't welcome, does.

Mr. Noddy needs the car this morning, so I'll be exercising at home. The only "machines" I have are an exercycle and one of those damnable exercise wheels, but I understand this is known as "cross-training".
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:48 am
Exercise is a great stress reducer.

I once worked at a place that was close to a gym that not only had
relatively low membership, but our med insurance rebated some of it.
So I joined.

They had a heavy bag and a speed bag at the gym.
GREAT for stress reduction.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 12:47 pm
I can always use stress reduction! Swam for 30 minutes today and plan on a 3 mile run tomorrow!

I'm wondering how Kicky's running is going.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 03:29 pm
mac11 wrote:
Before I got sick 2+ weeks ago, I was in a great groove for exercise. I'm having trouble getting there again.

Water aerobics is definitely out since I'm trying to get over a bad cold followed by a sinus infection - might try back to it on Saturday if the weather cooperates. I was alternating that 3 days/week with treadmill/exercise bike/resistance machines the other 4 days.

I can't seem to get into the gym every day. It's daunting. I think I'm going to try to build back up to every day by going 4 days this week for a start. There, I've written it down. I'm committed.

I've exercised every day since I posted that commitment. Five days last week, seven days straight (so far)! I even got back to water aerobics last nite. (brrrr)
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 03:54 pm
mac11,
I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 04:30 pm
Mac--

Good for you. I was priding myself on getting to the Rehab Center three times this week and riding the exercycle in between.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 04:35 pm
George wrote:
mac11,
I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.

Ditto!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 09:10 pm
Thanks guys. Very Happy

Noddy, you're doing great!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 09:16 pm
Joining the genuflecting!

Parking is continuing to kick my butt. Talking to personal trainer about stuff I can do at home. Heartrate monitors are ~$40 at Amazon, may get one. (Way cheaper than parking... grumble.) Also have feelers out at a couple of entirely different gyms, this one's cheap per month but membership fee + parking is more expensive than the membership fee most other gyms (that have free parking).

Overall I've been doing major recalibrations (one completely unexpected, job out of nowhere that I'd applied for months ago) and probably good to not be trying for another big thing in the midst of everything else. Starting to get settled in new busier schedule, ready for more soon.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 09:25 am
At least parking is not a problem out here - downtown is only a mile down Main Street from my house, so it's not a problem to simply walk to the gym and back. I've been lifting weights for a half hour before 25 minutes on the eliptical machine, but I've had to try to go from four days to week to daily to tell much difference. I seem to be getting in a bit better shape, but weight is seriously hard to lose at my age. To my surprise, I now have seventeen-inch biceps, though!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 11:25 am
The modern world is very peculiar. I think most of us have to drive to exercise.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:45 pm
Help! I'm being a slacker!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:48 pm
hey!

cut that out!

get to the gym!

<did>
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:16 pm
Well, did you get there marty?

I walked (outdoors!) this morning for a little over an hour. It was lovely - except for the sunburn I have tonite.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:21 pm
Thass kinda funny, mac.

I walked for about an hour and a half on Friday after work - walked with E (my main NYC travel pal) to Spadina- then up Spadina into the Annex to meet BrendaLee (my other NYC travel pal) to have soup and go to a concert of women chanting. I thought my knees were frozen by the time we met in the bookstore.

Frostbite/sunburn. Two sides of February in North America.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:28 pm
Yeah, I feel pretty stupid. I wore a hat and sunglasses and put sunscreen on my face, but didn't think about my neck.

This is why I prefer the gym. There are very few days in Houston when I would consider an extended outdoor walk.

Sorry about your near frostbite, though!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:34 pm
I blame my near frostbite on too many episodes of What Not to Wear.

Those freakin' straight leg pants - to balance top and bottom and all that - they let the wind right up your legs

brrrrrrrrrr

(not funny that you got sunburn - funny that you're getting burnt while I'm getting bit)
0 Replies