Speaking of wrong numbers.

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 12:58 pm
So I'm sitting in my chair waiting for Roger to show up to get the bag he left here last visit when the phone rings.
"Mr dyslexia?"
Yes
"I'd like to invite you to an open forum we are having for "republicans to return government to bible based governance"
I just said "Boy, you got the wrong number."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,373 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 01:11 pm
Re: Speaking of wrong numbers.
dyslexia wrote:
So I'm sitting in my chair waiting for Roger to show up to get the bag he left here last visit when the phone rings.
"Mr dyslexia?"
Yes
"I'd like to invite you to an open forum we are having for "republicans to return government to bible based governance"

That is to funny. So are you going to go and sign one of those oaths of alligence.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 01:24 pm
I'd be tempted to go just out of curiosity.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 01:27 pm
Bible-based? Old or New Testament?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 01:53 pm
plainoldme wrote:

I would guess NT. The OT isn't really followed by most Christians because of when Jesus came. He told his followers not to follow the Mosiac (Moses) Law.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:13 pm
But Baldimo, if you look at dyslexia's first post, you don't see any mention of Christianity there.

For all we know, this could be a group of Republican Jews looking to promote a movement of government by Talmud.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:26 pm
In fact, there's even a popular crime mystery book about it. It's entitled, "Friday The Supreme Court Slept Late".
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:38 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
But Baldimo, if you look at dyslexia's first post, you don't see any mention of Christianity there.

For all we know, this could be a group of Republican Jews looking to promote a movement of government by Talmud.

If that were so then they wouldn't call it a Bible, they would have said the Tora
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
That Republican plan is Old Testament governance. "The Despoiling of America"

How George W. Bush became the head of the new American Dominionist Church/State link
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:58 pm
Re: Speaking of wrong numbers.
dyslexia wrote:
"Mr dyslexia?"
Yes

Why is it the wrong number?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 04:57 pm
Baldimo wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

I would guess NT. The OT isn't really followed by most Christians because of when Jesus came. He told his followers not to follow the Mosiac (Moses) Law.

No, it is definately the Old Testament law they want to follow.

The New Testament talks about forgiveness, helping the poor, turning the other cheek, blessing peacmakers, and loving your neighbor.

There is not a single Republican who wants to follow the New Testament.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 05:06 pm
Really? I don't follow these matters that closely. And mostly what I ever understood, to the extent I did, which wasn't nothing - was Catholicism. Which, as taught to me, didn't ever criticize the old testament, but didn't emphasize it. And, there are plenty of Catholic Republicans, I'd bet.

So, dys, were they talking about this re New Mexico or the US or what?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:19 pm
Does this sound like a Republican to you?

Jesus said even though he never wrote:

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.

You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'

But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?

And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:33 pm
BTW I have always thought it telling that it is the 10 Commandments that Conservative Judges and public officials want to hang in public places and courtrooms. (The 10 Commandments are from the Old Testament).

I have suggested in the past that perhaps a compromise would be to allow the Beatitudes -- i.e. "Blessed are the Merciful for they shall receive Mercy" to be hung prominantly in court rooms on placards behind judges.

I don't understand why no judge has chosen the words of Jesus to take a stand on instead of strict Old Testament laws.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:49 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
BTW I have always thought it telling that it is the 10 Commandments that Conservative Judges and public officials want to hang in public places and courtrooms. (The 10 Commandments are from the Old Testament).

I have suggested in the past that perhaps a compromise would be to allow the Beatitudes -- i.e. "Blessed are the Merciful for they shall receive Mercy" to be hung prominantly in court rooms on placards behind judges.

I don't understand why no judge has chosen the words of Jesus to take a stand on instead of strict Old Testament laws.

Entirely too christian an idea there e, we will support none of that.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:54 pm
dyslexia wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Entirely too christian an idea there e, we will support none of that.

Speaking of the 10 Commandments.

The 10 Commandments are Everything the United States is NOT
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:20 pm
Speaking of wrong numbers. One time when I was in college I was awoken at 6:30 AM by some guy looking for Barabara. I said to myself, "Barbara? Who the hell is Barbara?" But I said to him "Barbara's still asleep, who's this?"

"This is Tony her boyfriend! Who's this??!!"

I replied, "oh ****. Hi Tony. I'll have Barbara call you in a little while"

Tony was flustered. "I'm gonna kick your ass!"

"Just try it you little wimp!" I shouted as I slammed down the reciever.

He never called me back. And I hope Barbara explained things to him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
I'll just ask, tell me what the point of the call was?

Sorry to be dense but I tend to do escape stuff when I see these posts...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:37 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'll just ask, tell me what the point of the call was?

Sorry to be dense but I tend to do escape stuff when I see these posts...

The caller wanted me to attend a community conference with the topic " bringing bible based governace back into the republican party"
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:42 pm
I would have called them a bunch of sick f*cks. I may have reminded them of the 1st Amendment which is supposed to separate church and state. Then I would have blown a big fart into the receiver. Then I would have hung up.
0 Replies