Dr. Michael DeBakey, 97, Saved by Operation he Developed

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 06:41 am
Now here's a "feel good" story. Some of us older folks will remember the name Michael DeBakey. He was the doctor who was at the forefront of many of the breakthrough heart operations that has saved countless lives over the years.

Quote:

Link to Article

What I find very interesting, is that there are many doctors who are loath to operate on very elderly patients, even if they are in reasonably good health. True, Dr. DeBakey got the best of care. But his success needs to be a wake-up call for doctors, who may have given up on patients, when an intervention could have saved some lives.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,076 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:32 pm
It apears that his wife was very instrumental in convincing the physicians to perform the surgery.

Did you notice that most of the anesthesiologists contacted, didn't want to be involved with the procedure?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:15 pm
I certainly did. I have heard of some lousy experiences of people that I know, whose doctors would not perform certain procedures on people who were elderly, but otherwise healthy. I could start a thread just on that subject!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:46 pm
Phoenix--

Glad you're back to see out the old year.

My first mother-in-law lied to the plastic surgeon, lowering her age from 85 to 75 because she wanted a face lift.

He's the one who would have been eternally marked had she died on his operating table.

She didn't.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:35 pm
Noddy- Good for her!

I think that doctors are so afraid of malpractice suits, that many of their decisions are based on how it would affect THEM, rather than the patient, if a procedure went awry.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 02:45 pm
Phoenix--

She nearly died on the operating table and her quality of life was greatly reduced.

Of course, she was not my favorite person--in part because of her little habit of lying for her own convenience.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 03:38 pm
Noddy-

But it WAS her choice.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 03:52 pm
Phoenix--

Yes, but surely the doctor is entitled to choose not to operate on high risk patients?

Doctors have choices, too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:01 pm
Yeah, you ARE right. I am just angry through a recent experience.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 08:59 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Phoenix--

Yes, but surely the doctor is entitled to choose not to operate on high risk patients?

Doctors have choices, too.

They're always worrying about lawsuits and losing their malpractice coverage.

In the case of a man of age 97-98, I'd be interested in knowing if his health insurance paid for the procedure.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 09:00 am
Miller- I believe that I read that DeBakey was given the operation gratis.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 09:01 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Miller- I believe that I read that DeBakey was given the operation gratis.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 09:04 am
Quote:
The costs of Dr. DeBakey's care easily exceeded $1 million. Methodist Hospital and his doctors say they have not charged Dr. DeBakey. His hospitalizations were under pseudonyms to help protect his privacy, which could make collecting insurance difficult. Methodist Hospital declined to say what the costs were or discuss the case further. Dr. DeBakey says he thinks the hospital should not have been secretive about his illness.

This was from the original article that I posted at the beginning of this thread. IMO, it was the least that they could do, considering the good that Dr. DeBakey has done.
0 Replies