WHEN IN FRANCE ... MIND YOUR MANNERS !

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:26 pm
"Mastering French manners, the hard way " , that's what happened to a BBC reporter who hadn't mastered the french manners before setting foot on the continent !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For this season of festive meals can be a minefield for those uneducated in French ways.

Oh, if only I had read their advice before venturing out to my first Parisian dinner party.

I had arrived punctually at the chic Parisian flat on the Left Bank, on the dot of eight o'clock in the evening, as per the invitation, bearing flowers for my hostess.

I wondered why she seemed slightly put out. I realised, when the other guests - politicians, a philosopher, a banker or two and their wives - finally arrived an hour later.

The conversation was in rapid-fire French, no allowances made for the only foreigner in the room.

So, to make myself feel more at ease, I reached over to a bottle of wine, to pour myself a second glass.

The entire table suddenly fell silent as the wine emerged loudly, and in slow motion, into my glass.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
better read on so you won't make a fool of yourself ... !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...MIND YOUR MANNERS !...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 646 • Replies: 6
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 04:41 pm
I'll keep that in mind. I'll be in Paris for 4 days thisSpring
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 04:49 pm
People have said "bon appetit" to me in France before. Maybe it's something only waiters are supposed to say! Or maybe Parisian waitstaff was just trying to be rude...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:44 pm
I saw that article this morning, enjoyed it...
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 05:27 am
All that etiquette and rules of "polite society" were made up by bored prudish matrons who didn't have anything better to do than complicate the lives of others. In France the rules of social intercourse are used more than in the less formal anglo-saxon cultures (see their uncertainty avoidance score in the Hofstede system of cultural dimensions), but nowadays most French people are and open-minded enough to allow foreigners their share of faux pas. I take the article as an example of stereotypical British "humour at the expense of the French".
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:41 am
Paaskynen wrote:
In France the rules of social intercourse are used more than in the less formal anglo-saxon cultures .

Not to speak about the actual intercourse..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:49 am
"...Not to speak about the actual intercourse.. "

we sure are glad to hear from our residential citizen expert Shocked Very Happy
expert advice beats opinion every time .
hbg
0 Replies