Cold Turkey

hebba

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:05 am
Where does the phrase "cold turkey" come from?
Any help out there kind wise people?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,717 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:29 am
Well, it's not a "famous American bird in an ice-block"
http://www.coldturkey.org.uk/turkey_3.jpg
or a film
http://www.kinoposters.com/assets/images/img/cr185.jpg
And it's not only a Edinburgh based environmentally-friendly, GM-free 5-piece band who perform an eclectic envelope of covers; basically good well known songs that are slightly off the beaten track.

Yahoo gives some answers to your question
"What is the origin of the phrase "cold turkey"?"

I'm not talking turkey, but I admire evreyone, who stays clean after having gone through a cold turkey!

BTW: our "own"
Online Etymology Dictionary says:
Quote:

cold turkey - "without preparation," 1910; narrower sense of "withdrawal from an addictive substance" (originally heroin) first recorded 1921. Cold turkey is a food that requires little preparation, so "to quit like cold turkey" is to do so suddenly and without preparation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:32 am
when i was in college and low in funds it was Cold Duck...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:18 am
And when somebody says, "you turkey," they mean you have a small brain. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:24 am
Cold Duck - OMG - is that stuff still sold?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:57 pm
college was a long long time ago
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:01 pm
A listener's question about the expression cold turkey inspired us to head straight for our slang files. Here's what we dug up about the term that means "an abrupt complete cessation of the use of an addictive drug; the symptoms experienced by a person undergoing withdrawal from a drug; or, without a period of gradual adjustment, adaptation, or withdrawal."

One theory speculates that "cold turkey may derive from the cold, clammy feel of the skin during withdrawal, like a turkey that has been refrigerated." Columnist Herb Caen dished up this tasty morsel on cold turkey: "It derives from the hideous combination of goosepimples and what William Burroughs calls 'the cold burn' that addicts suffer as they kick the habit."

These explanations may sound plausible, but our commitment to the truth forces us to dispose of these theories cold turkey. Why? Because the phrase cold turkey did not originate in the drug culture. When cold turkey was first found in print in 1910, it was synonymous with outright, as in, "I'd lost five thousand dollars cold turkey." The first use of the expression in connection with drug withdrawal was not recorded until 1921.

So when did the idea of cold turkey first get cooked up? No one knows for sure, but since folks have been talking turkey -- that is, speaking frankly and without reserve -- since at least the early 1900s, etymologists speculate that the "all at once" sense of cold turkey developed sometime after that, before being borrowed into the drug culture.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:07 pm
Jones
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:55 pm
Outside of the small town I grew up in there was a place known as Duck Lake Yacht Club, which was really more of a private bar. They always had Cold Duck on hand. Too funny.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:12 pm
Cold Duck, Bali Hai, Boones Farm, Double Barrel, we used to use that cheap wine and ice cream and acid to make Trippy-High milkshakes, then as we started to get off, we would go out and have egg tosses.

It will probably be no surprise to you that the group I hung with were much more the Kesey Prankster types than the Leary contemplative trippers.

You're either on the bus or off the bus.......... :wink: Cool
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 07:08 pm
Don't any of you remember Ripple? It was the cheapest and the best of the worst!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 07:18 pm
Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain,
That was not made by the hands of men.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:02 pm
Ripple....poor man's Bali Hai....tasted the same on the way back pretty much...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:11 pm
Mad Dog 20/20

Schlitz Malt Liquor

Southern Comfort

Not just for breakfast any more.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:29 pm
I almost died laughing when I saw a Ripple bottle go at an antique auction for about $40... The same bottle was available, full, for about $4!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:57 am
back in high school the guys used to call md 20/20 mad dog quinney/quinney.

I was honored of course.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:02 am
Thankyou all for the enlightening responses.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:56 pm
Happy to assist Hebba. How's Denmark. I used to pass through it on my way to Sweden. I have family in Sweden and Finland.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:59 pm
Hey there, furniture-lookin'-gennelman . . .

Long time, no scie . . . (a little joke for the froggy talkers)
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:41 am
Denmark is still gorgeous bob.Hot too these days-ahhhh.
Setanta,you´re a new dog every time I log in!
0 Replies