Child nearly fainting - what is it?

riviere

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:10 am
Do you know the feeling of driving following a helicopter that carries an unconscious body of your child? If you do, I pray for what you went through. For the rest of you who imply that I don't care for my child - I have a question.

Did your kid ever go through an extensive evaluation including:

full body MRI - twice
spinal fluid test - twice
heart hooked up to a monitor - 60 hours
brain hooked up to a monitor - 60 hours
numerous blood tests - for all the possible general maladies and viruses
numerous urine tests
a full neurological assessment, with a 1-hour brain neuron test 7 days later
extensive histories discussed with both parents (including his dad's dizzy spells)

It was all happening in a hospital for sick children, the best in the area. They were not sure what caused his seizure, so they worked on all fronts. Their final conclusion was that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my child, and the seizure was a febrile seizure.

Are you telling me that all of you, not knowing my son or me, know better than the best ICU and pediatric doctors? Hmmmmm

Are you telling me that he may have developed a heart problem 3 months after that? I highly doubt it. There is such a thing as - I know my son. I feel his slightest deviations from a norm.

I will ask my doctor to check him out again.

It is going to happen on January 8, 2007.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:15 am
riviere wrote:
Do you know the feeling of driving following a helicopter that carries an unconscious body of your child? If you do, I pray for what you went through. For the rest of you who imply that I don't care for my child - I have a question.

Did your kid ever go through an extensive evaluation including:

full body MRI - twice
spinal fluid test - twice
heart hooked up to a monitor - 60 hours
brain hooked up to a monitor - 60 hours
numerous blood tests - for all the possible general maladies and viruses
numerous urine tests
a full neurological assessment, with a 1-hour brain neuron test 7 days later
extensive histories discussed with both parents (including his dad's dizzy spells)

It was all happening in a hospital for sick children, the best in the area. They were not sure what caused his seizure, so they worked on all fronts. Their final conclusion was that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my child, and the seizure was a febrile seizure.

Yes, to all of the above. That's not the point. The point people are trying to make is that the episodes of near fainting are probably unrelated to the febrile seizure and are possibly related to a life threatening situation. If the last episode was over a month ago and you didn't seek medical attention then, then why bring it up here now? You asked for opinions, you got opinions, you don't like the opinions you received, and you've gotten defensive.

If the dr has told you it's not an emergency situation, and that's what you want to hear, then go with his opinion. If your son has another episode between now and January 8th, I strongly advise you take him to the nearest emergency room and have him evaluated.

Quote:
Are you telling me that all of you, not knowing my son or me, know better than the best ICU and pediatric doctors? Hmmmmm

Are you telling me that he may have developed a heart problem 3 months after that? I highly doubt it. There is such a thing as - I know my son. I feel his slightest deviations from a norm.

I will ask my doctor to check him out again.

It is going to happen on January 8, 2007.

Yes and no, we're telling you that the information you presented indicated a critical situation and we've given you our opinions. That doesn't mean you have to take our advice, but again, we responded to the information you provided at the outset.

None of us know what is wrong with your son. None of us have indicated that we know more than anyone. We've all indicated we would have sought out medical attention during the other episodes and we all have suggested you do the same.

Best wishes to you and your son.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:19 am
Re: Child nearly fainting - what is it?
riviere wrote:
Hello all, glad to join this forum.

My son has a dr appointment in a couple of weeks (immunization) so I will ask the Dr. this question. But I'm wondering also if this happened to any other child.

My 23-month old son has had a few nearly fainting episodes, three to be exact in the last few months. The longest was about 5-6 minutes, we were at the cashier in a store, his face goes white with red spots, I'm asking him "Are you OK? Are you OK?" - I can see he hears me but does not react, as if he is under water or in slow motion. The best way I can explain it is that he comes VERY close to fainting but does not actually faint. At that store, the cashier's supervisor already started intercoming manager because I was asking for a medical help. Then my son "comes back". The other two episodes were shorter but the same scenario.

What could it be? Is it what they call "growing pains"? Is it something common or should we investigate it? My daughter never had this.

Thanks in advance!

What could it be.....not much of anything,or something quite serious.
Is it what they call "growing pains"?...NO
Is it something common or should we investigate it?...No, it's not common for a 23 month old so investigate ASAP!
My daughter never had this.....Neither did mine.

If you can't take the advice you came here looking for then don't torture us with your "Oh it can wait" attitude.

Did you even look at the links I posted??? What do you think is the commonality of responses here?

No one is questioning you love for your son.It's easy do deny that the ones we love are ailing

Working in the health care field myself, I take a lot of pride in providing the best care I can to all of my patients regardless of race,personality, prior history,income..etc...I have seen Down Syndrome toddlers having Cardiac Catheterization, I've seen normally healthy pre-teen having Electrophysiology tests and intervention. I've assisted in placing pacemakers,I've provided imaging during Brain surgery, I've directly assisted in repairs of abdominal aortic aneurysms, I can't count how many MRI and Cat scans I've performed,I've performed CPR on both survivers and people who have died. I've seen life and death, I've seen people saved from early detection and I've seen people who have denied their illnesses until it was too late to fix. I can't believe how many children I've performed procedures on who were sitting on their parents lap in the passanger seat during an automobile accident and had their faces crushed between the parent and the dashboard just from the attidute that"Oh we're safe drivers, it'll be fine just this once" Do you know first hand how difficult it is to take care of this child while the parent is standing by knowing that they made a very unfortunate choice??

Don't imply that some of us don't know what we are talking about. You got the advice you came here looking for so why are you rubbing it in our faces that you are not about to follow the advice given?

Doesn't make sense to me!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:41 am
I just noticed something....maybe it's nothing, but....

In R's first post back to me, she called me "Chai", not Chai Tea.

no one had referred to me prior to that in this thread, and the only other thread R participated in is one I haven't gone on.

Now it could be that R has been reading other threads and seen me called that, or she could have just taken a chance and dropped the Tea.

However, from past experience, it seems newcomers usually call others by their full name, not knowing our "nicknames" on here.

perhaps R is one of those people who has read threads for quite some time before ever posting......hmmmm......

just my usual skepticism folks.
0 Replies

riviere

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:49 am
Quote:
You got the advice you came here looking for so why are you rubbing it in our faces that you are not about to follow the advice given?

Marty -- as a person working in a medical field, you should know that the modern patient takes every advise with a grain of salt. I came here to hear opinions, I heard them, and I will make my own decision. It seems to me that you can't take me not taking your advise.

Marty, the majority of your links are about fainting - which never happened to my kid. The rest of them indicate that it is not life treatening and kids grow out of them. This was my initial feeling and thank you for providing support for it.

Merry Christmas to everyone and I will update on my son after his tests.
martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:45 pm
Working in the medical field I know that the patient is his own best advocate. Sometimes it take an extra push to get Doctors to run more tests. You know your son better than anyone else. All I can say is that everyone who responded seemed to have the same advice for you. Get your son seen. I am a very compasionate person and I especially have a soft spot for children. The symptoms you described are not normal, if it were me I'd have my son seen ASAP. I wouldn't take my doctors advice over the phone were he can't properly examine my child. But more so, I would have had my son seen when the symptoms occurred.

Did you read in the links were it said "When should I call my child's health care provider?
Call IMMEDIATELY if:

Your child faints. "

Quote:
Marty -- as a person working in a medical field, you should know that the modern patient takes every advise with a grain of salt. I came here to hear opinions, I heard them, and I will make my own decision. It seems to me that you can't take me not taking your advise.

I should know???? Yes, I do know that some do and some don't.

I have the feeling that you're at the point of thinking"I'll be damned if I take the advice of total strangers"

I'm confused as to why you posted here.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:23 pm
Any chance, since it's sporadic, that it could be allergy related?

I'm still catching up on this thread and haven't followed all of the links, but if you're not able or willing to get your son to the doctor before the 8th, maybe you could at least keep a pen and a pad of paper with you so that if/when this happens again you can write down everything that happened just before and after. I would think this information would be valuable to a doctor and with any luck could indicate a possible trigger for it. And of course, if it happens again before his next appointment, please take him directly to the emergency room.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 04:59 pm
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00216.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000696.htm

Here is some additional information you may also want to take with a grain of salt.
Quote:
I came here to hear opinions, I heard them, and I will make my own decision. It seems to me that you can't take me not taking your advise.

It's not that I can't take you not taking my advice. it's the fact that your child has displayed some abnormal symptoms and you are not addressing them right away. It's the child that I am concerned about, not your feelings.
I wish you and your family the best in luck and a happy,healthy New Year.
0 Replies

London42

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 01:57 pm
@riviere,
Hi Riviere ,
I have the hope that after few years you can read this post. My daughter is having the same episodes and doctors don't know what it is. Could you let me know what hapened to your child please??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 02:21 pm
@martybarker,
Years later, I'm posting to say I miss martybarker on a2k. This post by her in the early part of the thread made me remember -
http://able2know.org/reply/post-2449865

But, also, London, this post by JPB is very good too. Please listen to her.
Click on this -
http://able2know.org/topic/88854-3#post-2449751

Please keep us informed how things are going.

Osso
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 02:28 pm
@martybarker,
Years later, I'm posting to say I miss martybarker on a2k. This post by her in the early part of the thread made me remember -
http://able2know.org/reply/post-2449865

But, also, London, this post by JPB is very good.
Click on this -
http://able2know.org/topic/88854-3#post-2449751

Please keep us informed how things are going.

Osso
0 Replies