Ideas for celebrating 25

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:42 am
Hi everyone. My lovely wife will have put up with me for 25 years come June 2007. My plans for a week secluded in a mountain cabin have gone up in smoke because she started a new job this month and won't yet have enough vacation time. Thus, I am looking for some unique ideas to celebrate this anniversary. Thought this would be fun to throw out here on A2K and see what y'all might come up with that I can use that might be different (after 24 years, I'm about tapped out of new ideas to surprise her with).

So, anyone have any thoughts? Grand prize for most unique idea that I use will be a one week, no expense paid trip to Raccoon Creek, Arkansas, the home of Prof. BillyBob and the one and only world famous Critter Festival.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,180 • Replies: 18
No top replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:45 am
My brother and his wife are celebrating their 25th next year and taking their first cruise.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:52 am
Re: Ideas for celebrating 25
CoastalRat wrote:
Hi everyone. My lovely wife will have put up with me for 25 years come June 2007. My plans for a week secluded in a mountain cabin have gone up in smoke because she started a new job this month and won't yet have enough vacation time. Thus, I am looking for some unique ideas to celebrate this anniversary. Thought this would be fun to throw out here on A2K and see what y'all might come up with that I can use that might be different (after 24 years, I'm about tapped out of new ideas to surprise her with).

So, anyone have any thoughts? Grand prize for most unique idea that I use will be a one week, no expense paid trip to Raccoon Creek, Arkansas, the home of Prof. BillyBob and the one and only world famous Critter Festival.

Any possibility of her taking a week off without pay and continuing on with the mountain cabin idea? If not, how about moving it up a bit early and making a longer Memorial Day weekend at the end of May? She should have one or two personal days accrued by then.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:54 am
We did the cruise thing for our 20th. We enjoyed it tremendously, but when we talked about what to do next year, she didn't want a cruise. (Plus, with the new job, the cruise would be out the window unless it was a weekend one)

I think your brother will really enjoy the cruise. I highly recommend them. We left out of Tampa and went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel and then up to New Orleans. Had a grand time. We hope to do one again, it just won't be for our 25th.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:56 am
Re: Ideas for celebrating 25
Butrflynet wrote:

Any possibility of her taking a week off without pay and continuing on with the mountain cabin idea? If not, how about moving it up a bit early and making a longer Memorial Day weekend at the end of May? She should have one or two personal days accrued by then.

I'd thought about doing that, and still may. I think 2 days is just about what she will have accrued by then. So that is a possibility.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:19 am
25 years is so special. I think it stinks that she can't take a few days off for you to celebrate such a milestone. Are you all absolutely sure that her new employee won't make allowances considering that this is a once in a lifetime event?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:23 am
Do something for her or with her for 25 days in a row

Send flowers one day

schedule a massage the next

go out to dinner at a new restaurant

surprise her with a gift

go for a long walk in a new park

... you get the idea. Smile
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:28 am
eoe wrote:
25 years is so special. I think it stinks that she can't take a few days off for you to celebrate such a milestone. Are you all absolutely sure that her new employee won't make allowances considering that this is a once in a lifetime event?

I'm somewhat sure she could get the time off without pay (although even that is hard to say...she works for an army contractor), but since she and I are both greedy republicans who can't stand the idea of walking away from money, we are loathe to go that route. Laughing
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:30 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Do something for her or with her for 25 days in a row

Send flowers one day

schedule a massage the next

go out to dinner at a new restaurant

surprise her with a gift

go for a long walk in a new park

... you get the idea. Smile

Actually, that sounds like a novel idea. I've not done anything like that in the past. Hmmm, I think you really want that trip to Raccoon Creek.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:35 am
My wife and I have been married for 56 years would like nothing better than going to Las Vegas and being able to play the slots and play the slots and play the slots. You get the idea.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:49 am
Ok here's my fantasy Coastal. I would love a weekend away with my hubby at an beautiful local resort/hotel where I could relax, eat good food, sit in a hot tub, make love, go for walks, get a facial, maybe see a show or just chat with other guests in a lounge. Meanwhile back at home- a professional house cleaning crew would be hard at work scrubbing the bathrooms, dusting the dog hair out of the corners, washing the baseboards, shaking out the carpets etc. I would come home relaxed and happy to a house that sparkled.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:27 am
Piggybacking on Shewolf's idea of 25 days of celebration, check out these ideas for hiding love notes around the house. You could use some of these to hide a bunch of gift certificates such as a candlelight dinner, a foot massage, a night of dancing, couple's cooking lessons, Merry Maids for a day of cleaning, tickets to a favorite sport, play, music concert, etc.

http://marriage.about.com/od/loveandromance/ss/leavelovenotes.htm

Here are some 25th anniversary celebration ideas. I like the Wish Tree one. It would fall in line with the 25 days of celebration and gift certificate ideas too.

http://marriage.about.com/od/25thweddinganniversary/p/25anniv.htm
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:06 pm
I like Green Witch's idea also. Hmmm, Butrflynet's is a pretty good twist on Shewolf's. Wow, I may have to give each of you the no-expense paid trip to Raccoon Creek. Lot's to think about. Probably a good thing I posted this so far in advance of the date (June 12th). I'll need time to organize.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:35 pm
HEY!!

i won that trip fair and square! Cool
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:46 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
HEY!!

i won that trip fair and square! Cool

True, I would still have to say that it belongs to you. But the deadline for bright ideas has just this instant been established as Dec. 31. So there is still time to win the trip and influence the celebration of my 25th anniversary. Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:50 pm
Do You Love Me?
From the Fiddler on the Roof

"Golde, I have decided to give Perchik permission to become engaged to our daughter, Hodel."

(Golde)
"What??? He's poor! He has nothing, absolutely nothing!"

(Tevye)
"He's a good man, Golde.
I like him. And what's more important, Hodel likes him. Hodel loves him.
So what can we do?
It's a new world... A new world. Love. Golde..."

Do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I what?

(Tevye)
Do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I love you?
With our daughters getting married
And this trouble in the town
You're upset, you're worn out
Go inside, go lie down!
Maybe it's indigestion

(Tevye)
"Golde I'm asking you a question..."

Do you love me?

(Golde)
You're a fool

(Tevye)
"I know..."

But do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I love you?
For twenty-five years I've washed your clothes
Cooked your meals, cleaned your house
Given you children, milked the cow
After twenty-five years, why talk about love right now?

(Tevye)
Golde, The first time I met you
Was on our wedding day
I was scared

(Golde)
I was shy

(Tevye)
I was nervous

(Golde)
So was I

(Tevye)
But my father and my mother
Said we'd learn to love each other
And now I'm asking, Golde
Do you love me?

(Golde)
I'm your wife

(Tevye)
"I know..."
But do you love me?

(Golde)
Do I love him?
For twenty-five years I've lived with him
Fought him, starved with him
Twenty-five years my bed is his
If that's not love, what is?

(Tevye)
Then you love me?

(Golde)
I suppose I do

(Tevye)
And I suppose I love you too

(Both)
It change a thing
But even so
After twenty-five years
It's nice to know
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 01:16 am
I love shewolf's idea.

And since the 25th anniversary is the silver anniversay, what about a personalize bit of silver on the actual day? You've got plenty of time. You could design something, have something made, or have something written on the whateveritis.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:38 am
Hey, just thought I would get back and let y'all know what I decided to do. I decided that each month leading up to our 25th anniversary in June, on (or around) the twelfth, I would do or give her something to surprise her. On January 12 I left a gift on the front seat of her car for her to discover when she went to work.

In February, when she arrives home from work on the 9th, she will find a poetic note instructing her to pack an overnight bag and drive to a local Inn (The Inn at Middleton Place, Charleston, SC) where the desk clerk will hand her another poetic note sending her to our room where I will quickly prepare a relaxing bubble bath for her. Then it is dinner at the Middleton Inn Restaurant and an evening away from the kids.

I already have plans for April and have purchased a really nice gift for May. Still working on March since it looks like she will be on a one month deployment, but I'll figure a way around that somehow. And to top it all off, the 25 days prior to June 12th I will be hiding little things around the house for her to find, love notes, little thinking about you gifts, that type of thing along the lines of Butrflynet's suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Take care.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:06 am
Sounds wonderful. Smile
0 Replies