Punctuation in a list of titles.

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:21 pm
Senior Vice-President of the Smithfield branch Lola Smix welcomed everyone in attendance and thanked members for their service.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 494 • Replies: 4
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:26 pm
Senior Vice-President of the Smithfield branch, Lola Smix, welcomed everyone in attendance and thanked members for their service.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:28 pm
Equally acceptable, I believe, would be:

Lola Smix, Senior Vice-President of the Smithfield branch, welcomed everyone in attendance and thanked members for their service.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:01 pm
1. Vice president isn't hyphenated, unless that's how the company handles it.
2. The only time you would capitalize the title is when you're referring to the person as Vice President Smix. Otherwise, it should be lowercase. There's one other exception: In a formal listing such as:

Joe Blow, Senior Vice President of A
Alice Somthing, Director of B.

But in a sentence, no capital.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:40 am
Quote:
Vice president isn't hyphenated, unless that's how the company handles it.

It depends where you are. In the UK we would normally hyphenate this and all equivalent expressions, although there seems to be a trend to use hyphens less and less in any circumstances these days (possibly because punctuation hasn't been taught properly in schools for a couple of decades and an awful lot of people aren't sure what a hyphen is or what it's for). To my English eyes, the title vice president looks distinctly louche.
0 Replies