Abundant energy supplies off-limits

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:18 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What's wrong with both? You haven't discussed any logical problems with our position.

You seem to believe that it is ridiculous to think we should spend more money on alternative fuels before we go to war or drill up all our public lands. How do you defend your position that this is ridiculous?

Cycloptichorn

Main problem: We need oil at this point in time. We need to secure our own oil which we have but the Greens won't let us drill for. WE HAVE OUR OWN OIL.

The point of the article was that we have oil and the means to drill it in a clean way thanks to modern drilling equipment and technology. The Feds won't release the land for drilling because of the Green movement in our country.

The problem I see is that the same people who accuse the US of going to war for oil are the same people who won't let the govt release land for drilling of our own oil. We could solve the war and oil issue by drilling our own oil but they won't let us. They want expensive energy at the cost of everyone else. What is it going to cost to push our economy into a non-oil one? It is going to cost billions and most of it is going to come out of the private sector because they own the infrastructer.

How many cars are made right now that run on hydrogen? How many gas stations have filling stations for those types of cars? When it becomes more previlent we will do it. Right now it takes twice as much hydrogen to get around as it does gas. These are all problems that need to be fixed before we move to renewable energy. Until then we need oil because this change isn't going to take place overnight. Where do we get the oil?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:31 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What's wrong with both? You haven't discussed any logical problems with our position.

You seem to believe that it is ridiculous to think we should spend more money on alternative fuels before we go to war or drill up all our public lands. How do you defend your position that this is ridiculous?

Cycloptichorn

Main problem: We need oil at this point in time.

We don't need it so bad that we could do research to do away with burning it up just to move around. We will always need oil, but we don't need to waste it the way we do today - and pollute heavily in the process.

Quote:
We need to secure our own oil which we have but the Greens won't let us drill for. WE HAVE OUR OWN OIL.

The point of the article was that we have oil and the means to drill it in a clean way thanks to modern drilling equipment and technology. The Feds won't release the land for drilling because of the Green movement in our country.

Rightly so. A short-term increase in the amount of oil available does nothing to solve the problem.

Quote:
The problem I see is that the same people who accuse the US of going to war for oil are the same people who won't let the govt release land for drilling of our own oil. We could solve the war and oil issue by drilling our own oil but they won't let us.

This is a false argument. The same people who complain that the gov't does nothing to get off of oil dependency, don't support it when the government takes steps to secure themselves to that same dependency. There is no discrepancy in these two arguments.

You are assuming that the proper solution is to get more oil, no matter where it comes from; this is false. The correct solution is to stop using it as much as possible.

Quote:
They want expensive energy at the cost of everyone else.

Close; we want a clean and sustainable environment, at the cost of everything else.

Quote:
What is it going to cost to push our economy into a non-oil one? It is going to cost billions and most of it is going to come out of the private sector because they own the infrastructer.

Billions? How many billions?

Say, 400 or so billions? That's how much we've spent in Iraq these last few years.

Quote:
How many cars are made right now that run on hydrogen? How many gas stations have filling stations for those types of cars? When it becomes more previlent we will do it. Right now it takes twice as much hydrogen to get around as it does gas. These are all problems that need to be fixed before we move to renewable energy. Until then we need oil because this change isn't going to take place overnight. Where do we get the oil?

The change isn't even starting, becuase those who run our society don't want to switch away from oil and certainly aren't spending any money to do so.

More expensive oil = net positive for America. I know you big business types have a hard time understanding this fact, but it is true.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:04 pm
Baldimo wrote:
We have been trying to drill in ANWR for years but the greenies won't let the US do it. These are the same people who complain about the war in Iraq being for oil but they lobby hard against the drilling at home.

Fact check:

Quote:
The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, on Alaska's North Slope, is the new hope. The Prudhoe Bay oil field, one of the world's biggest reservoirs, is just sixty miles west of the refuge. Surveys carried out by the U.S. Geological Survey suggest that anwr may contain about ten billion barrels of recoverable oil. If this estimate turns out to be reliable, and if exploration starts next year, in 2025 anwr could be generating about a million barrels of oil a day.

This is a lot of fuel, but it dwindles next to our energy requirements. By 2025, according to the Department of Energy, Americans will be consuming almost thirty million barrels a day. With luck, an anwr oil field operating at full capacity could satisfy perhaps three or four per cent of that total, meaning that most of the oil we use would still have to be imported.

Source: The New Yorker
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:52 pm
Anyway, not to worry. At the right price, drilling permits will be issued for Yosemite National Park.

On royalties, Squinney, you're probably thinking of Native American mineral rights, though I forget whether the culprit was BIA or Dept. of Interior.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:32 am
Cycloptichorn:

Quote:
We don't need it so bad that we could do research to do away with burning it up just to move around. We will always need oil, but we don't need to waste it the way we do today - and pollute heavily in the process.

I know my state is being aggressive in putting in a rail system. It's called Light Rail. It is spreading and I support the spread of Light Rail. The problem is it isn't everywhere quite yet and even if were it won't be where I need it. Its great for getting down town and to the Bronco games but to use it for work isn't useful.

Quote:
Rightly so. A short-term increase in the amount of oil available does nothing to solve the problem.

It would make a huge difference. With our own oil resources in play while we develop alternate fuels it will go a long way to ridding ourselves of foreign oil dependence. That is part of the larger issue isn't it. Our govt "being in the pocket of the Saudi's" is a big issue and has been for several years. I know some people think our policy's are dictated by this connection and we could change a whole lot of our policies if this were the case.

Quote:
This is a false argument. The same people who complain that the gov't does nothing to get off of oil dependency, don't support it when the government takes steps to secure themselves to that same dependency. There is no discrepancy in these two arguments.

Sure there is. You want instant independency over night and it isn't going to happen. We must move away from the foreign oil and at the same time develop new sources of energy but what do we do in the mean time? Do we stay with the dependence and develop our own?

Quote:
You are assuming that the proper solution is to get more oil, no matter where it comes from; this is false. The correct solution is to stop using it as much as possible.

Once again how do we do this? What I suggest is moving to our own supplies. This will cheapen gas and other oil products and at the same time enable more money to be spent on the creation of something more like a hydrogen supply for vehicles. We need money to spend money. You keep bringing up the amount of money we spend in Iraq but that money is from a different source. Most of the research that is going to be done in the area of alternate sources like hydrogen is going to be done by private companies and not the govt. They can supply money for some research but over all the private companies are going to be the leaders in this. I would rather private companies do the research because they are going to put their research money into something that is going to be of use. Govt money on these issues is going to wasted because the govt is going to throw money in every direction including on pipe dreams that will lead no where.

Quote:
Close; we want a clean and sustainable environment, at the cost of everything else.

Once again how are you going to do this? Everything takes money and time.

Quote:
Billions? How many billions?

Say, 400 or so billions? That's how much we've spent in Iraq these last few years.

Read above.

Quote:
The change isn't even starting, becuase those who run our society don't want to switch away from oil and certainly aren't spending any money to do so.

How many hybrid cars are on the road? How many different car companies are making hybrids? I know the govt has issued grants for hydrogen research. It isn't going to be a govt backed issue. This is going to be driven by private industry because there is money involved and money to be made. The only thing the govt can do is to create laws against fuel cars and to increase pollution standards. This will push the auto makers into the alternative fuels.

Quote:
More expensive oil = net positive for America. I know you big business types have a hard time understanding this fact, but it is true.

You want more expensive oil but are you willing to put the pinch on the average American for higher gas prices? You can't tell me you were happy to see gas at around $3.00 or more a gallon. I'm sure you were complaining and wanting the govt to do something to get the price to drop. You can't have your cake and eat it to.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:39 am
NickFun wrote:
So you are suggesting that we kill off every creature on Earth because oil for our comfort is more important? Are you also suggesting that alternative fuels do not exist?

no, only liberals and people with brown skin. :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:41 am
Quote:

You want more expensive oil but are you willing to put the pinch on the average American for higher gas prices? You can't tell me you were happy to see gas at around $3.00 or more a gallon. I'm sure you were complaining and wanting the govt to do something to get the price to drop. You can't have your cake and eat it to.

Actually, I was just fine with 3.00 oil; I sold my car two years ago and now ride bicycles and public tran. to get around.

I'll respond to the rest later...

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:12 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I was just fine with 3.00 oil; I sold my car two years ago and now ride bicycles and public tran. to get around.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn

I guess as long as you are comfortable we can disregard the millions of Americans that must use their auto's for transportation to and get to their jobs. These people are bleeding.
In addition being self sufficient or at least being able to cut back on the need for imported energy will help reduce the deficit, borrowing from foreign nations and reduce our balance of payment gap.
In addition it will stop feeding the coffers of nation that hate and would do all the can to destroy the US.

Should we stop there? Of course not. The government should fund in a big way research into alternate forms of energy. Increase cafe standards [gpm] and impose conservation measures. As an example why not require that all new housing [in areas of the nation where appropriate] be solar energy equipped.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:21 am
au1929 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cheers

Cycloptichorn

I guess as long as you are comfortable we can disregard the millions of Americans that must use their auto's for transportation to and get to their jobs. These people are bleeding.

Situations demanding change often bring about uncomfortable transitions to those who are comfortable and used to the current situation. This has nothing to do whatsoever with the validity of the change.

I won't say that it hasn't been inconveinent at times, cold as hell at times, wet, whatever, riding a bike everywhere... you just gotta suck it up.

I realize that many older folks and those who are disabled couldn't ride a bike, but that doesn't mean that we couldn't address their needs as much as possible. The fact is that there is no chance oil will stay as cheap as it has in the long run, because it is a limited commodity and there is no theoretical limit to how much we can use; therefore it is foolish not to plan for it running out accordingly.

Quote:
In addition being self sufficient or at least being able to cut back on the need for imported energy will help reduce the deficit, borrowing from foreign nations and reduce our balance of payment gap.
In addition it will stop feeding the coffers of nation that hate and would do all the can to destroy the US.

Drilling in the US won't make a dent in the amount of oil we use. ANWAR would add how much to the total? Even if the total percentage from US oil reserves added 15-20%, it wouldn't get us off of foreign oil. And it isn't a good long-term solution.

Quote:
Should we stop there? Of course not. The government should fund in a big way research into alternate forms of energy. Increase cafe standards [gpm] and impose conservation measures. As an example why not require that all new housing [in areas of the nation where appropriate] be solar energy equipped.

I agree. Solar shutters, solar shingles, solar gutters...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:41 am
Cycloptichorn

Quote:
Drilling in the US won't make a dent in the amount of oil we use. ANWAR would add how much to the total? Even if the total percentage from US oil reserves added 15-20%, it wouldn't get us off of foreign oil. And it isn't a good long-term solution.

Why are you stuck on ANWAR? Have you read the article? There is plenty of oil to be found in and around the US. In addition natural gas is in plentiful supply and that is what heats many homes in the US. It is time the government got off it's duff and instead of talking about research into alternate forms of energy do something meaningful. And in the mean time they should stop feeding those who would bury us.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:41 am
Actually, what I referenced on page one has to do with companies drilling on public land, not reservations. The oil companies are already taking advantage to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars AND they were GIVEN money in last years budget despite record profits!

From one of the links I provided:

Quote:

And, some want to give them MORE access to federal land???

I don't think so!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:55 am
squinney
Who and what is responsible for the give away to the energy companies. Drilling for oil and gas or the idiocy of government agreements. The giveaway should be corrected by a change in contractual agreement policy. Admittedly it would require the bought and paid for congress to act in the interest of the people instead of their pocketbooks. But that is another issue.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 04:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Drilling in the US won't make a dent in the amount of oil we use. ANWAR would add how much to the total?

Three or four per cent of what Americans will be consuming by 2025:

nimh wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
We have been trying to drill in ANWR for years but the greenies won't let the US do it. These are the same people who complain about the war in Iraq being for oil but they lobby hard against the drilling at home.

Fact check:

Quote:
The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, on Alaska's North Slope, is the new hope. The Prudhoe Bay oil field, one of the world's biggest reservoirs, is just sixty miles west of the refuge. Surveys carried out by the U.S. Geological Survey suggest that anwr may contain about ten billion barrels of recoverable oil. If this estimate turns out to be reliable, and if exploration starts next year, in 2025 anwr could be generating about a million barrels of oil a day.

This is a lot of fuel, but it dwindles next to our energy requirements. By 2025, according to the Department of Energy, Americans will be consuming almost thirty million barrels a day. With luck, an anwr oil field operating at full capacity could satisfy perhaps three or four per cent of that total, meaning that most of the oil we use would still have to be imported.

Source: The New Yorker
0 Replies