EPA closing libraries and destroying documents.

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:28 am
The EPA has been closing it's libraries down. The contents within have been either destroyed or stored in warehouses where there is no access. The Union of Concerned Scientists has a good deccription (loaded with links) of what is happening HERE.

Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,148 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:39 am
Oh good grief!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:56 am
bookmark
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:04 am
http://static.flickr.com/22/32230918_effe6e0b35.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 06:56 pm
Bump
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 06:59 pm
And yet, they tell us we live in a free country.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:08 pm
I predict the Bush administration is going to sponsor a huge bon fire before they all check out. This is just the beginning.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:15 pm
Jesus.

Now why am I not surprised?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:07 pm
Time to write my congressperson. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/061218/18epa.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:34 pm
bump
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:50 pm
Furthering the legacy of the Reagan administration, and one-upping him to boot.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:07 pm
Not suprised.

Disgusted, but not suprised.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:10 pm
Librarians of the world, UNITE! How bloody apalling...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:31 pm
The librarians I've known as friends are pretty strong people. Would they could unite. I'm sure at least some of them have. Me, I'm pretty interested in this outcome.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:31 am
The Nazis didn't pussyfoot around. They knew what was bad and simply burned it.
'
http://tinyurl.com/vg8rz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:15 pm
I think the article states that the librarians did do something...... <sigh> I can't think with this cold.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 02:27 am
all it is is the New World Order Setting up.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 05:38 pm
More about outrageously politicized mismanagement at the EPA:

Quote:
EPA IN CRISIS

Tapped
February 27, 2008

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Barbara Boxer, Henry Waxman, and other congressional Democrats are challenging EPA administrator Stephen Johnson's decision to deny California and 16 other states a waiver to allow them to set their own standards for carbon dioxide emissions from automobiles, and had subpoenaed internal EPA documents on the matter. Yesterday the Environment and Public Works Committee released some of those documents, which show an EPA "in crisis," as Boxer put it in a press conference yesterday. As all accounts already indicated, the memos reveal that Johnson rejected the advice of EPA staffers and caved to the Bush administration's ideological stance against meaningful action on climate change. An excerpt from the advice given to him by staff members from the EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality:

From what I have read and the people I have talked to, it is obvious to me that there is no legal or technical justification for denying this. The law is very specific about what you are allowed to consider, and even if you adopt the alternative interpretations that have been suggested by the automakers, you still wind up in the same place.
The internal memos also revealed that staffers warned him of the risks of denying the waiver: "If you are asked to deny this waiver, I fear the credibility of the agency that we both love will be irreparably damaged." If he did deny the waiver, his staff advised him that he may have to resign from his post. This is just the latest instance of Johnson ignoring his staff and science in general to appease the Bush administration; asked in a hearing last month whether he thought climate change was a major crisis, Johnson retorted, "I don't know what you mean by major crisis."

His staffers were right on the California waiver; let's hope they're right about that resignation part. California is suing for the right to set tougher standards, and a Johnson-less EPA might make for an easier path for them and other states who want to take aggressive action on climate change.
0 Replies