steissd

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:12 pm
CdK, this is the first time our approaches coincide. I also consider borders of 1967 (not including on this particular stage Golan Heights, until the Syrian threat is eliminated) to be a reasonable compromised.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:58 pm
I agree. Even about Golan. But that's the easy part. The part where we disagree is that I think Abu needs to give a truce a chance before Isreal decides to be "his wings". Then there are others. But yes, the basis is something I think many agree on. That is why I say I could solve this conflict in a year (from the position of US president). I see it as a problem with obvious solutions but with people who disagree vehemently about how to reach them.

And of course idiots who don't want peace at all.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:30 pm
steissd
What problem will the Israeli government run into when and if they attempt to shut down well established settlements on the West bank. Those which are outside the 67 borders. In addition I understand that some of the settlements are on land purchased from the original Palestinian owners. Why must they be dismantled It would seem that they should have as much right to remain as the Palestinians living as citizens in Israel do?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:39 pm
The few, and it's few, people who paid could be reimbursed by anyone from Isreal to the US if a deal is brokered. I do not equate Palestinian immigrants to Isreal with strategic settlement activity. I do think that Isreal is far more tolerant of Palestinian immigrants than Palestinians are of Israeli settlers and it's apples and oranges.

In any case, the only Israelis willing to excersise their right to live on the wrong end of a border would face danger, and all for some misguided goals. I'd say reimburse them for the land in the rare case that it was bought but recall them along with the majority, who did not buy the land and settled it strategically to deprive the other side of choice territory.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:37 pm
raven
I did not for one second believe that Israeli's or Jews would want to remain in PA territory. I was just making the point that they could not even if they chose to. While Palestinians could live in Israel as citizens.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 06:11 pm
au,

I know. Even if unrelated it's a point favorable to Isreal until you put it in better perspective.

"As citizens" is the operative clause, as opposed to "as settlers".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:17 pm
quick little visit just to make mention of Philip Roth's notion that Jews really ought to return to their true cultural homeland - Europe. But please, go on without me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:49 pm
Well, wherever whoever thinks Jewish people should be, or not be, a fair whack of 'em are in Israel - and it would be a lot better if people just got on with it.

Blatham - I take it your little comment about Roth's beliefs is to nudge people into considering how we would react if all the past century's European diaspora Jews were to wish to have all their land and property back in Europe - or to wish to set up a Jewish homeland there?
0 Replies