Effects of Stroke

Noddy24

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:57 am
Phoenix--

One of the most wonderful news stories I've ever read in my life was when a conference of oncologists announced officially that Chemobrain was an established fact.

Not only do the useful toxic chemical interfere with memory--they make new learning very difficult. I was undergoing chemo when I got my first computer....

The other "secret" is that recovery from Chemobrain takes at least two years--and frequently much longer.

Spread the word, Baby.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:20 pm
Noddy- For the longest time, it was believed that chemo never crossed the blood/brain barrier, but now I think that doctors are beginnning to understand the neurological ramifications of chemical treatments.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:59 pm
Phoenix--

They actually 'fessed up in public.

Chemo attacks all new, proliferating growth including new neural branching in the human brain.

Not only does your hair fall out, but so does your access to recent information.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 05:14 pm
Chemobrain makes a lot of sense - it's not that dissimilar from pregnancy brain. Changes in body chemistry, whether naturally-induced or not, are going to have all sorts of impacts.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:57 pm
Those of you who have had a debilitating experience resulting in a certain amount of brain damage or memory loss, are living proof of what has come down to the simple premise that your loss is of the greatest importance to you, but hardly noticable to others. To see it first hand, to read the well thought out posts makes it clear that the loss does not take away who you are. With JPB, Margo, Phoenix and Noddy, the first impression of these women is one of intelligence.

BBB, ever since I've read about the changes going on in teenage brains, it has become clear that they should not be tried as adults. I'm glad that was mentioned in the article.I think it will also be a comfort to the parents that this too shall pass.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:03 pm
Diane wrote:
TWith JPB, Margo, Phoenix and Noddy, the first impression of these women is one of intelligence.

That's only a first impression! After a few minutes you start to hear :"Who let that bloody stupid old tart in here?"

And some people are even unkind! Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:06 pm
Diane wrote:
To see it first hand, to read the well thought out posts makes it clear that the loss does not take away who you are. With JPB, Margo, Phoenix and Noddy, the first impression of these women is one of intelligence.

Yes, if anything, from that sample one would be tempted to conclude that debilitating experiences are extremely beneficial to overall intelligence and communication skills!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:22 am
Soz, sooo true!

Margo, be quiet, we all know you lie. lol.
0 Replies