"might" or "may" in conditionals

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:24 am
Hi. My question is: Can we use the auxiliary "might" in both first and second conditional sentences? If yes, imagine a student who should decide whether it is a first or second conditional when the "result clause" contain "might" but the "if clause" contains a blank to be filled with a suitable tense, present simple or past simple. What should s/he do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 920 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:06 am
Hmm... offhand, I don't see why one couldn't use "might" and first and second conditional sentences.

The simple past isn't often found in the "if clause" of conditional sentences. If the past tense appears at all in an "if clause," it is usually in the form of the perfect past or the simple past subjunctive.
0 Replies

khorrami

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:33 am
Wow, Shapeless, don't you want to stop this being silly, giving vague answers? We DO have simple past in the "if clause":
If I had more money, I would lend you some.
This sentence refers to a present situation, not at all to a past one.

Now could you please consider my own question above? THANKS
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 04:45 pm
khorrami wrote:
We DO have simple past in the "if clause":

In fact, the sentence refers to a conditional and/or improbable situation. Thus, the "if clause" in the above sentence isn't in the simple past at all, but the simple subjunctive past. I refer you here, particularly section 5.b.i.

It might not be the answer you wanted to hear, but by all means continue to call it silly if juvenile responses make you feel better.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:31 pm
khorrami wrote:
Hi. My question is: Can we use the auxiliary "might" in both first and second conditional sentences? If yes, imagine a student who should decide whether it is a first or second conditional when the "result clause" contain "might" but the "if clause" contains a blank to be filled with a suitable tense, present simple or past simple. What should s/he do?

Yes, you can use 'might'.

As to your second question, it's impossible to tell what "tense" should be used because we don't know the context that surrounds the situation. If a teacher is trying to make students decide without giving them enough info then that is unfair.

Let me use your example sentence from your next posting.

1. If I had more money, I might lend you some.

2. If I have more money, I might lend you some.

For #1 the meaning is [basically], "I don't have any more money, but if I did, there's a small chance that I would lend you some.

For #2 the meaning is [basically], "I may/might/could have some more money, and if I do, there's a small chance that I will/would lend you some.

You should always try to provide some example sentences if you can, Khorrami.

khorrami wrote:
Wow, Shapeless, don't you want to stop this being silly, giving vague answers? We DO have simple past in the "if clause":

Now could you please consider my own question above? THANKS

Khorrami, Shapeless was trying to help you with a difficult area of language and your remarks were, though you may not have realized it due to cultural differences, a bit too, shall we say, frank.

While grammars have not always been careful, the simple past is not actually used. The simple past FORM is used. I know the distinction may seem small but it is important.
0 Replies