Due to botched execution of Angel Diaz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,049 • Replies: 30
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:50 pm
Where do you get that news from, Roxanne?

I failed to get that when I searched.

I do get that there is a petition to stop them:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005861562

Edit:

Oops...I am wrong:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/15/diaz.execution.ap/
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:56 pm
I am against the death penalty, however, they were killing the guy & they're worried about hurting him?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:58 pm
No friends for dinner for Jeb for awhile.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:09 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I am against the death penalty, however, they were killing the guy & they're worried about hurting him?

I happen to be FOR the death penalty, but I seem to remember something in the Constitution about "cruel and unusual punishment". I think that what happend to that bastard could reasonably be labeled as "cruel".
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:16 pm
Quote:
In halting the signing of any more death warrants, the governor said he wants to ensure the process does not constitute cruel and unusual punishment, as some death penalty foes argued bitterly after Wednesday's execution.

How long has Florida been doing lethal injections, seems they were stilll using "Old Sparky" until recently.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:26 pm
Quote:
It was the sole means of execution in Florida from 1924 until 2000, when the Florida legislature under pressure from the U.S. Supreme Court replaced it with lethal injection. Florida death row inmates now may be executed in the electric chair only if they choose it. It was located in Florida State Prison in the north Florida town of Starke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Sparky

When I was driving back and forth from NY to Florida, there is an area where you cut across from I-95 to get to I-75 on the west coast. You go through Route 301 (made notorious by the AAA for its speed traps in three small towns.)

Anyhow, we stopped to rest in Starke, a town of which we had never heard until then. It is the largest place in an area of sad, old little Florida towns, which looked like they had never seen better days, and were quite ramschackle.

Most of the motels in the area were poor little mom and pop joints, advertising clean sheets and TV. All of a sudden, we found a large chain motel, with a restaurant connected to it. We could not believe our eyes.

We checked in, and questioned the clerk as to what was this place doing in the middle of nowhere. She explained that the state prison was just out of town, and the reporters stayed in the motel every time there was an execution! Shocked
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:42 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

I happen to be FOR the death penalty, but I seem to remember something in the Constitution about "cruel and unusual punishment". I think that what happend to that bastard could reasonably be labeled as "cruel".

I believe the cruel & unsuual punishment in the Bill of Rights mean intentional cruel & unusual punishment.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:45 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

The guillotine is relatively quick and painless.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:54 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

'Relatively' being the operative word; 6-10 seconds of consciousness is about the max, I believe.

I guess it's not humane, but the air-hammer used to kill cows in meat processing plants puts their lights out damn near instantly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 07:14 pm
Federal judge rules lethal injection 'unconstitutional'

RAW STORY
Published: Friday December 15, 2006

A federal judge in California has ruled the state's execution by lethal injection to be unconstitutional, according to an Associated Press report.

"U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel ruled in San Jose that California's 'implementation of lethal injection is broken,'" writes the AP, adding Fogel's remark that "t can be fixed."

The ruling follows an earlier development in Florida, where Gov. Jeb Bush (R) halted all further executions after a botched injection on a convicted murderer.

The Los Angeles Times today reported that "executions in the U.S. declined to their lowest level in a decade this year," per a recent study by an anti-capital punishment organization.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 07:33 am
I think that the press is having a field day with this one. I think that death by lethal injection ought to continue. What the state needs are a few technicians who know how the hell to put in an IV correctly. The problem here was the incompetence of the technician, not the method of execution.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 07:50 am
I hope these inquiries help raise public conscience levels enough to question the use of the death penalty. It's time we used our brains, not emotions in such matters.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 07:57 am
I really become angry when people advocate on the part of murderers and rapists, and apparently forget about the victims. I really believe that there are some people who do not deserve to live, and that capital punishment, meted out fairly and humanely, is a method of ridding society of individuals who have stepped way over the lines of decency and civility.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:00 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "the" guillotine. I remember reading contemporary accounts from the French Revolution; the guiloutines used there were not quick and painless at all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:03 am
Thomas. I am sure that a guillotine could be constructed that would do the job nicely. Problem is, it is a bit dramatic, and has a lot of historical baggage, that might not sit well with some people.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:06 am
Most methods of execution, including lethal injections, have quite a bit of historical baggage. IMHO.
0 Replies

Thomas

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I really become angry when people advocate on the part of murderers and rapists, and apparently forget about the victims.

Then presumably you would also prefer them to be denied a lawyer at trial? These people advocate on the part of murderers and rapists for a living. It's part of what we call "due process". Most people consider due process a good thing -- including, and perhaps especially, libertarians.

Phoenix wrote:
I really believe that there are some people who do not deserve to live, and that capital punishment, meted out fairly and humanely, is a method of ridding society of individuals who have stepped way over the lines of decency and civility.

So is life-long imprisonment. Why, in your opinion, is the latter preferrable over the former?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

I also become angry when people advocate on the part of murderers and rapists. I become angrier still, when people push the death penalty against all logic. There are dozens of arguments pro and con death penalty, just on a2k. I will not restate my reasoning here, as all members have had the opportunity before, if really interested. I believe revenge, and not law and order, drives the death penalty, overriding the good reasoning against it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:17 am
Quote:
Then presumably you would also prefer them to be denied a lawyer at trial? These people advocate on the part of murderers and rapists for a living. It's part of what we call "due process". Most people consider due process a good thing -- including, and perhaps especially, libertarians

Thomas- That was not what I meant. I am certainly all for due process. I also believe that the death penalty needs to be used only for the most heinous of crimes, (serial killers, rape-murders, torture murders, murders of children) where the guilt is beyond a shadow of a doubt.

What I was referring to, is that people apparently are getting their knickers in a twist about executing criminals, but you rarely hear about the havoc that these criminals have caused to the victims and their loved ones.

Quote:
So is life-long imprisonment. Why, in your opinion, is the latter preferrable over the former?

Thomas- To me, the kinds of criminals that I have described above, are beyond any sort of rehabilitation. They have caused immense suffering to their victims, and, IMO do not deserve any consideration. I have a problem with taxpayers having to pay to keep these monsters alive. The sooner that they are no longer in existence, the easier it will be for the loved ones of the victim to gain some closure.
0 Replies