Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:31 am
Ok so I took out a 2nd mortgage on the house and ordered a lb of Jamaican Blue mountain coffee. The problem is the coffee arrived yesterday and I really want to make a pot but I know I have to keep it in the freezer and use it only for special occassions. I think tomorrow, being saturday, will be a special occassion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,854 • Replies: 61
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:16 pm
Ok so the jamaican coffee arrive yesterday however, unknown to me, is that the lady Diane had also ordered some coffee. She had ordered a pound from one of those organic/worker friendly plantations so when she opened the package containing jamaican blue mountain she assumed it was sent in error and was going to return it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:18 pm
Jamaca blue mountain who?

Link please
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:30 pm
Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is a classification of coffee grown in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The best lots of Blue Mountain coffee are noted for their mild flavor and lack of bitterness. Over the last several decades, this coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought-after coffees in the world.

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is protected worldwide as a certification trademark meaning that only coffee certified by the Coffee Industry Board of Jamaica can be labeled as such. It comes from a recognized growing region in the Blue Mountain region of Jamaica and its cultivation is monitored by the Coffee Industry Board of Jamaica.

The Blue Mountains are generally located between Kingston to the south and Port Maria to the north. Rising to 7500 feet, they are some of the highest mountains in the Caribbean. The climate of the region is cool and misty with high rainfall. The soil is rich with excellent drainage. This combination of climate and soil is considered ideal for coffee.

Additionally, only coffee grown at elevations between 3,000 and 5,500 feet may be called Jamaica Blue Mountain. Coffee grown at elevations between 1,500 and 3,000 feet is called Jamaica High Mountain, and coffee grown below 1,500 foot elevation is called Jamaica Supreme or Jamaica Low Mountain. (All land in Jamaica above 5,500 feet is a forest preserve, so no coffee is grown there.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:38 pm
Finding tea (spit) totally and utterly repulsive, I consider myself a true afficionado of coffee, and can vouch that Blue Mountain is the second best coffee in the world.

Recently, I was turned onto "Machu Picchu" blend coffee, from Cafe Direct (one of those sandal wearing, hippie fair trade coffee producers that the Lady Diane would appear to prefer).

It is better than Blue Mountain, IMO.

There, I've said it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
I did a google search for "Machu Picchu" and found the only vendor to be in the UK.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:47 pm
Love love love this coffee. In my younger days, I wasn't much of a coffee drinker. My friend heard I was going to Jamicia - she mentioned how much she loved the coffee. I was like - whatever.

Being on vacation and staying up into the wee hours each night at breakfast I did order coffee and it was incredible - I brought suitcases full of coffee back - while others try to smuggle drugs; I smuggled blue mountain coffee.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:48 pm
Who was the vendor for Jamaica Blue Mountain, Dys? That store in Old Town? (And, save me a cup of that... I've never tried it.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:49 pm
I actually have had Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, and I have to say
that I prefer Kona from Hawaii.

Aside from that, Austrian (Viennese) coffee is the best in my view..aehm taste.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:58 pm
I read an article in the LA Times not long ago by Russ Parsons on how to brew the perfect cup of coffee. I only have one page of that saved and the article would require a fee to read at this point.

Anyway, he said that it didn't matter if you had jamaica blue mountain if it was roasted poorly and not fresh..

I remembered that a favorite coffee purveyor of mine, Peet's, used to have JBM on their shop's blackboard, and I like their roasting 'philosophy' and the freshness of their coffees. So, I looked up JBM there, and they are out of it right now, but made suggestions for others, one of them being Kona, CJane.
Another was Panama Esmerelda..

Gag, the prices -
This is one page of their fairly extensive website:
http://www.peets.com/site/search.asp?search=jamaica%20blue%20mountain
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:00 pm
LOL LordE, yes, I prefer the sandal-wearing hippies who are honestly trying To help native workers get a fair wage for their labor. I admit, there are hippies that are just as dishonest as the Shrub, but most of the organizations are well monitored and quite open about their policy, expense breakdown, and local connections. OxFam is one that comes to mind.

Osso emailed me with the article about the necessity of high quality roasting. It made perfect sense--as any of us know, once something is burned, the taste is forever tainted, no matter what you do.

CJ--I have had Kona coffee--it's wonderful, but how do you know where to buy a good quality product? Do you have a link?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:10 pm
Diane, I was in Hawaii in October and loaded up on coffee there Wink

You might want to try here

Coffeemans King Kona Coffee
200 3rd St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102

if their Kona is good enough.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:24 pm
Thanks, CJ! We'll try it next time we need to stock up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:26 pm
Oh, I tried that Kona coffee. 5/11 coffee is about the same

That's 7/11 coffee at 10:55.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:34 pm
Diane and Dys and I need to find someone here who roasts their own coffee fresh and well.

I know that Peet's Kona and my local grocer's beans are apt to be two different animals.

The expensive prices on that Peet's link are for the Reserves - I'll have to read more about what that means.

JLN mentioned buying the Mexican mix 9or some name like that) at Sunflower and liking it for various reasons.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:37 pm
four years ago, long before the cancer pinchered him, Gary offered me the last of the Jamaican Blue Coffee he had in his freezer. We made it up in a french press he had in great big white mugs.

There were bagels and I made my scrambled eggs,

scrambled eggs youu should know by now are less than cooked eggs with milk and more like custard

with just a little fresh ground tellicherry pepper ground fresh over them.

The coffee tasted like coffee.

but then I think this is music click

Joe(pass the apple butter)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:46 pm
Here's the first page of the LA Times article. Alas, I haven't yet imbedded in my mind that if I want to save their articles, I need to convert them to Single Page.

I've tended to like his articles (I should check them more often).

The new coffee connoisseur

Think you know how to make a great cup of coffee? Think again. It's all about the best beans, a careful roast and optimal brewing.Begin with the beans
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:48 pm
I once bought a two pound sack of Starbuck's dark roast (forget which) beans at Costco. They were all clumped together with burnies...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:53 pm
Exactly osso!

Since I use whole beans for my italian coffeemachine, it made some weird noises and stopped grinding after I poured some Starbucks beans into
it. That stuff is nasty and I won't buy anything Starbucks any longer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
And there may be places better than Peet's, but a lot of connisseur types of my acquaintance prefer it. I'm ready to learn about more good suppliers with good "principles" like Peet's, or local roasters.

I like the Bird friendly coffee growers' coffee that was packaged from my area in north northern California, but I haven't bought it that much for reasons related to my wallet.
0 Replies