Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:13 pm
I don't know if you have Longs Drugs in NM but they have Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee for around $ 8.00
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:57 pm
growing up in germany , it was usually my dad who purchased the coffee . before the war he purchased almost always GREEN coffee beans and he was quite particular about the beans he would select .
i recall that ELEPHANT beans were one of his and mother's favourite - the beans were indeed quite large . since he had worked in the harbour since age 15 (eventually becoming an inspector for a large import-export firm) , he knew about the best coffees , teas etc. and was quite particular about these things - even in his old age .
while i never cared much for drinking coffee , i always enjoyed being allowed to be the CHIEF ROASTER . we had a special roasting drum that would be set on the kitchen stove and i eventually learned the job of roasting coffee to perfection - both the smell and the slight crackling sound would tell when the coffee had been roasted just right .
btw the green beans would always be sorted quite carefully to remove any beans that weren't absolutely perfect .
even today , i'm not much of a coffee drinker but the smell of coffee being roasted - we have a roaster downtown - gives me special SENSUAL pleasure Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

outaideas

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:48 am
jamaican blue................SO GOOD!!!! i actually used to get it seasonaly from caribou but they dont buy it anymore. Sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:25 pm
Its all marketing. Ill bet I make you five cups of five different (good) arabica coffees in a press and you wont be able to tell the diff.

We have a roaster in Chester County, and when were home we buy it whenever I make a trip to the city of West Chester, or to Crosskeys in Lanacater. Now, here in Maine, we drink a lot ofRooiboos teas mixed with bakers chocolate clump or two . GREEEEAAAT.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:18 pm
I can tell the difference between good and lousy coffee, especially
European vs. American - Kona is an exception. The roasting process is the key to it. Tomorrow morning I'll have some good German coffee.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:40 pm
Theres only 2 kinds of beans, arabica (low caffeine, higher flavored) and robusta(higher caffeine lesser flavor and subject to burning) Starbucks mixes robusta in its mix because it wants that burnt taste so youll buy its milky ****.

I like a coffe that rosted jus to the "first crack" stage, tahts when the flavor is mild yet roasted enough. Just stay away from robustas and your coffe will be good.

"American roasters" are what turned the world to make good coffees by technology. I havent tried that SUmatrabn Poopachino yet but Im not ure I want to.

I have a friend who has kona plantation, he only has 20 acres of coffee and hes considered a large plantation. I have alfalfa fieds bigger than that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:44 pm
Yeah, but he makes more money selling his Kona than you with your
Alfalfa kraut.

Well, whatever Starbucks uses, it's awful coffee to begin with.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:55 pm
Alfalfa is a metaphor
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:45 pm
We've been getting some good coffee from Venilale in East Timor lately as part of a volunteer friends group.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:55 pm
Alfalfa is a euphemism, is what it is.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:18 am
That too
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:23 am
And it's a dipolyphonism, too, I spect. What with it being repeated and all, like assassin. Which has distinctly normophemistic origins.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:36 am
Im wide awake cause we had a great lobster dinner and it wont let me sleep. You are apparently just trying to make an old man lift his OED to find all these words.

Wit is not the size of your tools, but in their use..

Course havin a biggun can help in a pinch.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:39 am
Huh, huh, big tool.

Most words over 8 letters are made up. By someone, anyhow.

Had a variety of ceviche's and a generous quantity of zin, myself. The effect's the same, here belching out nonsense when sensible folk have gone to bed and the real partakers aren't home yet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:45 am
what kinda Walleye do you use fer your ceviche? Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:46 am
It's hornyhead chub.

It ain't Friday, after all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:49 am
CHUB??? good gawd, can you eat them things? They live near the outfalls of pulp mills and power plants around here
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:55 am
You wouldn't believe what people fish for here.

There's a little creek that runs between the veterinary school and the university motor pool. People fish just downstream.

Thankfully I've never actually seen any fish in this thing. Even the cleaner water's loaded with fecal coliforms. I know because I cultured them myself. Millions and millions to the milliliter.

Can't say I'd eat anything out of the local local waters, though the stuff upstate (upwatershed of the cows and the towns) supposedly ain't too bad.

Had to pay a pretty penny for fresh seafood. But I lived on the coast for so long that I feel the need to do that every now and then. Can't beat cold-water fish.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:00 am
YEh, I caught a small (50 lb) tuna this week and weve been gnoshing on it and had enough to give to the neighbors. Well, Im gonna get some sack time. Good speaking with you this cool evening. Its 55 here in Maine tonight.

of course thats F
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:30 am
That's Fing beautiful.

Getting muggy after good T-storms here.
0 Replies