What A2Kers Have You Met In Person?

margo

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:06 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

one of the other people waiting was wearing a Blue Man Group tee shirt.

Yes - but did you ask where they were playing - and how to get there???
roger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 03:09 am
@margo,
No. I wanted to ask "What time is the Duck Tour, and where is the Hatch Shell". I was barely able to restrain myself.

I told Osso about a series of emails I had had with a young lady on Abuzz about the Blue Man Group. She was nice, and quite a bit brighter than she had sounded on forum. I felt like a heel for my derisive comments about the group.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 06:24 pm
I now add to cicerone imposter to my list.
We had a fine day visiting different parts of Mexico City,
A very nice guy, he is, and incredibly energetic.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 06:32 pm
@fbaezer,
That's all true..

So where'd you see?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 06:36 pm
I met ceili just over a week ago.

It was wonderful. She's bright and beautiful and a great hugger. Sooooooo nice to meet her. Definitely one of the people I've always wanted to meet. I'd like to have more time with her - maybe go somewhere we can enjoy some music together.

There's a good chance that Set and I will be meeting Gracie Grace and her twin sister when they're in town in the summer. Sadly she'll be leaving just before Thomas and MAB are supposed to be arriving for the fair.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
We took a stroll down Colonia Juárez, visited Museo Soumaya (c.i. is particularly interested in the impressionists), had a beer nearby, then went to Ciudad Universitaria (had lunch there), and back to his hotel thorough Coyoacán.

And it was a hot day, according to me (not that hot, according to c.i, since he was in Havana the days before).
JLNobody

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 02:37 pm
@fbaezer,
I've met Osso, Dyslexia, Diane, Walter (on the phone), Francis (in Europe), Ticomaya just the other day,
Me gustaria mucho conocerte en persona.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 02:41 pm
@JLNobody,
I didn't remember that you met Francis. Lucky guy! Well, two lucky guys.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 04:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I met Francis and Calamity Jane in San Francisco at a luncheon hosted by c.i. and georgeo'b at george's club (The St. Francis Yacht Club on the waterfront, near the Golden Gate). Francis and C.J. had come up from L.A. together on the same flight. Coupl'a years ago.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 04:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I remember that. I was envious, natch.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 05:56 pm
@JLNobody,
I met Asherman about 6 years ago, and he graciously hosted me at his home, Corazon, during my move to the desert. I met Cowdoc and Miz Cowdoc about 3-4 years ago, and JLNobody recently, as he mentioned.

Rockhead I met about 35 years ago, give or take.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 08:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
I just returned from Mexico City just a few hours ago. I met fbaezer yesterday, and he was a great host and guide who took me to Carlos Slim's museum, UNAM, and to see Trotsky's and Frieda Kahlo's homes (we drove by for pictures). I'll be posting on my travelblog in about one week or so with pictures.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 11:06 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I've met Osso, Dyslexia, Diane, Walter (on the phone), Francis (in Europe), Ticomaya just the other day,
That has been THE phone call, I'll always remember Wink

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 11:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I've met Francis a couple of times - a lot easier here in Europe Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 05:55 pm
@JLNobody,
Anytime. Come back and visit your old -and new- Mexico City, JL.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 08:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ah, that sounds like a great experience. My wife is from Mexico City and she is very much afraid of returning there because of the violence. One day we'll overcome that fear and visit fbaezer. That would be wonderful.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 10:51 pm
@JLNobody,
JLN, Your wife should have no fear in Mexico City; especially in the Centro-Historico-Reforma (Zocalo) area where I stay most of the time. There are police everywhere, and I see young girls/women walking alone at night. I'm sure the penalty for crime in Mexico City prevents most crimes.

Be forewarned, however, because city maps are deceiving. What seems like just a few blocks can be miles away. Mexico City is huge with a population of over 20-million people, and probably over 20 districts.

What I find Mexico City so fascinating are their architecture, sculptures, museums, restaurants, music, bars, and of coarse the people (most are friendly). Even in hotel elevators, most say "buenos dias."

Let me know if you have any questions.

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:45 am
@cicerone imposter,

I've not met anyone for quite a time, the last time being in Hamburg with Walter, Mrs Walter, c.i. and not forgetting FionaB who I brought with me.

That was a nice time, and we had a few adventures. I think I've got a photo somewhere (and probably published it earlier on this thread!)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/Hamburg/002.jpg
fbaezer

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:35 pm
@JLNobody,
The fear about violence in Mexico City is plain nonsense.

The homicide rate here is 10.2 per 100,000 per year.
That is less than the rate in cities like Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston or Chicago.
It's almost half the rate of Washington and less than half the rate of Miami or Baltimore, not to speak about Detroit or New Orleans.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2013/01/gun-violence-us-cities-compared-deadliest-nations-world/4412/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:12 pm
@McTag,
No doubt I replied earlier on this thread with a list -
but recently I've met CowDoc a couple of times (he's a walking talking scene by himself, wonderful man) and his wife, who puts up with him apparently very fondly while giving him whatfor; I've met Walter lots of times, but not all that long ago met his wife too; she and Diane and I took a trip to Santa Fe that was a great pleasure (at an extremely hard time in Dys and Diane's lives). I like her.
Very recently I got to meet Free Duck a couple of times, both fairly short, with her two great children.
0 Replies