Mitt Romney Is Looking Good

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 05:21 pm
On at least on one issue. He has issued an order for Mass State Police to arrest illegal aliens when confronted with them, such as in a traffic stop.
Imagine that, a governor actually giving an order to uphold the law.

http://controlcongress.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,593 • Replies: 30
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 05:50 pm
You are obviously not from Massachusetts. Romney is showing great weakness with several inconsistancies in his record that will make both Republican moderates and the Republican right wing unhappy.

1) He is clamping down on illegal immigrants most recently by giving the police authority to make immigration related arrests (against the wishes of most police chiefs) -- but it turns that some of the landscapers, that he made a public spectacle that he said "Buenos dias" (which is Spanish for good day) to as they worked on his lawn, were illegal immigrants. There is some question on whether he should have checked...

Not only is he pissing of the pro-immigrant moderate Republicans with his idiotic grandstanding. He is pissing off the right wing with his apparent hypocrisy.

2) He is making a big stink about gay marriage. But not only is he losing, but it is also coming to light that his stance on gay rights have been shifting to the right as he has come closer to a possible presidential campaign.

Recentally letters from an Earlier campaign (this time for the Senate where he lost to Ted Kennedy) surfaced where he was exclaiming how as a moderate he would be a better champion for gay rights.

Moderate Republicans are upset at the extent he will curry to the right wing-- even dredging up a 1913 law designed to stop the spread of inter-racial marriage.

Right wing Republicans are upset that he has clearly changed is position-- apparently for the sole purpose of winning their votes.

-----

I think Romney is a non-starter because he will fail to attract either the moderates or the right-wingers. This is combined with the fact that many of the good evangelical Christians who make the Republican base think that Romney, as a Mormon, is condemned to Hell with the atheists (and thus not worthy of their vote).

The best bet for Conservative Republicans is Tancredo! You should throw your complete support behind him.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
Ya know brown, i used to read you posts with interest & even some admiration, that's finished. Since you demand back up for some things I say & then you won't even acknowledge when back up is asked of you, your comments mean little to me anymore.
One doesn't need to be from Mass to see the illegal aliens as a problem for this entire nation, including national security.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:09 pm
Yes, Brown. An intelligent response to a point made by LSM is never respected. Once over lightly is her approach...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:48 pm
Her singular charm is affecting many similarly. It is a pervasive stench that rises from her every post.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:51 pm
ebrown - didn't romney have an abortion flip-flop too?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:08 pm
brown, as usual, scoots away.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:11 pm
snood wrote:
Her singular charm is affecting many similarly. It is a pervasive stench that rises from her every post.

At least I'm not pretending to be a member of the military.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:13 pm
Dartagnan wrote:
Yes, Brown. An intelligent response to a point made by LSM is never respected. Once over lightly is her approach...

Still spouting ignorance I see. I'm almost embarrassed for you.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:15 pm
Quote:
He is clamping down on illegal immigrants most recently by giving the police authority to make immigration related arrests (against the wishes of most police chiefs)

This is a rather odd statement. What does it say about the cops in Massuchusetts if they are against arresting criminals?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:16 pm
Moderate Republicans are upset at the extent he will curry to the right wing-- even dredging up a 1913 law designed to stop the spread of inter-racial marriage.

What?????????
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:16 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
snood wrote:

Oooooh! Now you done it! Very Happy
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:18 pm
I have to agree with Ebrown again (not that I don't usually, on immigration issues). Romney strikes me as a non-starter for the reasons he mentioned. Even if he started gaining steam; he'd get chewed up and spit out during the primaries.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
Agree.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:33 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I have to agree with Ebrown again (not that I don't usually, on immigration issues). Romney strikes me as a non-starter for the reasons he mentioned. Even if he started gaining steam; he'd get chewed up and spit out during the primaries.

Because he's upholding immigration laws?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:34 pm
squinney wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
snood wrote:

Oooooh! Now you done it! Very Happy

I don't understand how anybody that claims they're military can post that much. They can only get so much leave time when PCSing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:42 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

No. Because he's a flip-flopping Mormon. Read Ebrown's post.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:51 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

No. Because he's a flip-flopping Mormon. Read Ebrown's post.

Like I said, browns posts hold no interest for me anymore
That being said, at least on this issue was my statement & because of his upholding US Immigration Laws I will keep watch & pay attention to him, not some poster that believes that our laws aren't important.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:59 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Like I said, browns posts hold no interest for me anymore
That being said, at least on this issue was my statement & because of his upholding US Immigration Laws I will keep watch & pay attention to him, not some poster that believes that our laws aren't important.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings Madam. I enjoy reading and responding to your posts, in fact one of the reasons I like A2K is because it is a place where I can both bump heads, and exchange ideas with people from the other side of the political spectrum.

I would be interested in knowing who's posts do hold interest for you... but I am what I am and I am sorry if that offends you.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:02 pm
Atavistic wrote:
Quote:
He is clamping down on illegal immigrants most recently by giving the police authority to make immigration related arrests (against the wishes of most police chiefs)

This is a rather odd statement. What does it say about the cops in Massuchusetts if they are against arresting criminals?

Atavastic. There are many police departments from accross the country who feel that enforcing immigration law will hurt their ability to do the work they feel is most important-- that of protecting and serving their local community.

I am not looking for an argument about whether police chiefs who feel this way are right or not, I am simply pointing out that there are many police chiefs who feel this way.

You of course are free to judge them if you like.
0 Replies