How Should I Go About Getting an Ex Back?

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:09 am
Alright, Let me start by saying I would normally never do this. This being, be so desperate as to sign up to a message board, and ask help with my very personal problems from total strangers.
BUT!
Here's the thing, it seems that everyone I know, that I've tried to talk to about this, can't seem to help me. Either, they don't know, or they give really horrible advice, that even I know would just push him further away.
So here's the situation. We started dating the 12th of December of 2005, I met him online through a website called Myspace.com. He seemed really cool over the net, so he gave me his number, and I called him one night, and he asked me to come hang out with him. (really sketchy, yes i know) but it turned out great. We got along really well, and had a really good time. For the next several nights, we would spend hours, (literally 4-5 hours) on the phone everynight before we went to bed, talking about EVERYTHING.
For Christmas, he bought me a $100 dollar bottle of chanel perfume, (mind you we had only met two weeks or so earlier) (and no he isn't rich, wealthy, or well off), this obviously impressed me, and made me believe that he really did like me. Why else would a guy, you JUST met go and spend $100 on a bottle of perfume, when he could of went to a drug store and bought one for $5 and ripped the price tag off? lol. He also took me to his grandmothers on Christmas day to introduce me to his entire family, most of them seemed to like me alot, and i loved them all.

Anyway, we had a lot of great times, partying mostly, but when it was just me and him alone, I swear it was the best time of my life. I felt closer to him, than I've felt towards anyone else in my entire life. He made me feel safe, content, happy with my self (I have a really bad self-esteem issue, self-confidence also). He was also lifting my spirits and making me feel like there was no one above me.

After a while though, maybe in the end of January I found a message from a girl in his inbox on Myspace, (I guess they had met up and whatnot at a local mall and spent the day together) I confronted him about it, I was really upset and sad that he would do this to me. Although we had only been dating a month, I felt like he was the one. He apologized until his face turned blue...

He said, and I qoute, "Whenever I get something good in my life (ME), I always screw things up. Maybe I should just let you go and hope that you move on, because you deserve better than what I've been giving you. But, I don't want to lose you, I need you in my life."

I forgave him, and we were good for a long time. For V-day. I went all out, spent hundreds of dollars on him, buying balloons of all different sizes, shaped like hearts, some saying cute little phrases on them, ect. A dozen roses, a bear from Hallmark that was holding a red heart, and when you pressed his foot, he'd squeeze the heart and say, "Squeeze me, Hug me, Love me." I bought a pork roast and cooked him dinner and served it with a nice bottle of wine. After we ate, I told him we were going for a ride, but I couldn't say where, because it was a surprise.

We got into my car, and I blind folded him, (wove my hand infront of his face to be sure he wasn't peeking Razz) and we drove to a Hot Tub Spa. I had arranged that the day before, and gone there earlier in the day to set it all up. It was up on a roof top, candles and rose petals all over the place, around the hot tub, in the hot tub. A cd player playing soft music, ect.
He was astounded! Could barely speak, but was foreverly greatful and said that, that had been the best thing that ANYONE had ever done for him for any holiday or special occasion.

Moving on.....He is in the Army, and knew that he'd be shipping out to Iraq in June, and he said that he didn't want a girlfriend waiting back home for him, worrying constantly day after day if he was alright, and vice versa. So ...he broke up with him. Once again, here comes that horrible, terribly over used line, "I want to be with you in the future, just not at the moment. We'll see what happens when I come home."

I tried the whining, I tried the begging, I tried to talk it over with him, which always ended with me practically bawling my eyes out begging him to take me back..As if he was the center of my world the one thing that made my world go 'round. And at the time, he really was.
He was my savior, before him, I was in a horrible rut, always depressed. I had pushed all my friends away and started living a life of solitude, he sort of...Brought me back to the real world I guess you could say....

Anyway, It's a year later....He's back from Iraq, and my feelings for him, are still as strong as ever, we didn't end on mutual terms, I mean I understood his reasoning, and didn't put up a fight about it. Because I was positive that I would have him back in my arms when he came home. But I was wrong....
He has another girlfriend now....That I know he doesn't want to be with, I was told this by him personally. So i figured, this was my chance to try to get him back. Start talking to him slowly, say hi here and there....but from there...I have no idea what to do....

Can someone please give me advice?

-Ahri
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,247 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:20 am
Tell me, what did you marinate your pork loin with?

I like mine with raspberry dressing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:13 am
Ahri--

Welcome to A2K.

Time changes people.

Combat changes people.

Your choice of the phrase "get him back" troubles me. He's a man--a post combat vet--and he belongs to himself. You might love him dearly, but you can never presume to own him.

I also find it interesting that you described in detail your presents to him on Valentine's Day, 2006, but you gave us very little information about him as a person--although you did describe the $100 bottle of perfume.

Right now, if I were you, I'd go with the flow and play hard to get. He's adjusting to civilian life--and living with the uncertainity that civilian life may be a very temporary condition. The two of you have been officially separated for six months.

He has another girl/woman. You say that he doesn't want to be with her, but in the past he's had no trouble breaking off relationships that make him uncomfortable.

Go with the flow. Play hard to get. Think about developing your body, your mind and your spirit. Learn to live with memories without being tempted to renew them.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Ahrianna

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:28 am
He's a really sweet guy, very caring and was always there for me. Always into the "holding hands, cuddling, ect" stuff, and didn't care if he showed his emotions in front of other people, (friends, family, in public).
He was always there for me...

It's so weird....I haven't really thought about him....But when he got back in October from Iraq....It just, hit me like a ton of bricks.....I still love him, still care about him....
I never claimed to own him.. I didn't mean it like that, and i'm sorry that it sounded that way. I believe that every person is there own person, and that you shouldn't live for anyone but yourself....
Totally contradicting my last post but....I ....just don't know what to do. It's really hard for me, personally, to let go of things that I feel have been left unfinished....Really hard for me to move on, never forget, but move on....

It seems that i just can't...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:32 am
Chai Tea wrote:

Well, that was singularly unhelpful.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:02 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

Well, that was singularly unhelpful.

your valuable award....did it come from Italy by any chance?

it would have said "FRA GI LE" on it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:07 pm
Ahri--

"I can't" isn't the same as "I don't want to".

You can't control his behavior--but you can control your own.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 05:41 pm
Chai, I surprised at you. You usually get to the core of these issues with great advice and humor, even if it's with the subtilty of a freight train. Have you been hanging out with NickFun?

Ahrianna, as the saying goes -he's just not into you. He's already gone. He's not interested in having a future with you and he doesn't care that you feel there is still something unfinished. It's finished for him. Let him go. Better to know the truth now than after 7 years of marriage and two kids. It's time for you to find someone who loves and appreciates you. You're young and you will survive the heartache, and be better for it. Go get a facial, buy a new outfit, call up some girlfriends and go out and raise a little hell. Life goes on when you let it.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:59 pm
By the way, you say you were depressed before you met him. Could it be that he served as a temporary solution to your depression and that is why you are so reluctant to let him go? I've been in that place, and I can say for certain that no man can take away your depression. You have to find a way to live for yourself. Besides, it sounds like he was playing around with you a little.
0 Replies

vikasradhakrishnan

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:53 pm
well. i don't understand why he did not come back to u after he came back from Iraq.but whatever.try to look your best and remain calm.look out for other guys who may be interested.men cannot stand it .he might come back to u or who knows u may get along with other guys better.ultimately u may end up not needing your current guy at all.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 02:15 am
Just hang on and ride out this storm.

It seems pretty normal to me, that after seeing someone you have loved and shared with who went away to a war zone , to see him come back safe and sound...of course you are going to get strong feelings when you see him!
First, he's an Ex.
Second, there was a real possibility that he could have been harmed or not come home at all.

Now is definetly not the time to be thinking of being with him.
Believe me, the decision will be easier to make once the firecracker emotions calm down and you gather a little more information.

Sure, be happy and grateful that he is well, and that you once shared something special. That is good.

But Now is Now.
He has a gf. He is a war vet. He has probably changed a great deal, and is probably going through a lot that even he doesn't quite have a wrap on.
Not a time for drama or reliving the past.

You can still care about this man without being in a relationship with him, or feeling like you need to get him back.
I know I still care about my exs - from a distance, and as human beings first and foremost.

The key is to just get through this with your boots on and your life on track.
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:15 am
It sounds as tho you felt good when you were with him, but without him, you just don't feel the same pizzazz for life. I'd suggest letting sleeping dogs lie and focus your life on yourself. Take care of yourself and somehow enrich your life alone - without him. That enrichment can come in all sorts of ways - buy yourself something nice (flowers, perfume, music, a cat), do something lovely just for you that you wouldn't nomally do and hang out with friends who love you.

This fellow needs time alone to put his life back in order. He will have seen & heard things that might have changed him. He needs time. So do you. If he chooses to spend his time with someone else, let him do that.

I don't feel that you'll be adding to your life if you try to "get him back". Relationships end for a reason and unless that reason is fixed, then the relationship will end again if those same 2 people get back together ... it'll end for the same reason a second time. And a 3rd time. You don't want to end up on that messy emotional merry go round, do you?

Concentrate on how to control your own reactions instead of trying to control him or coerce him into thinking that he wants to be with you and not with his other girlfriend. He'll respect you for giving him space and my guess is that you'll probably respect yourself a lot more by letting go with grace and moving on.

Hope this helps Smile Good luck.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:44 am
Quote:
Either, they don't know, or they give really horrible advice,

This means you got the right answers along the way--it just was not the

One you WANTED to hear.

Use common sense--He's a cheat (caught and forgiven) self destructive and other undesirable things according to you..
Now if this is the kind of person you want--you need to work on why you are attracted to "Bad Boys" and fix it--No Good comes from this type of
relationship without divine intervention.
They call em X's for a reason.
0 Replies

SiriusLady

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 07:15 pm
duce wrote:
Quote:
Either, they don't know, or they give really horrible advice,

This means you got the right answers along the way--it just was not the

One you WANTED to hear..

This is probably more accurate.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:33 am
If he was that into you, then why has he got another girlfriend now?
0 Replies