All-Star Amazing Race

Tico

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:55 pm
Just when I was getting to like them ....

(Is it me, or is Rob toning down his abrasiveness?)

Still liking Danny & Oswald. Still intensely disliking Charla & Mirna.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:20 pm
Whoda thunk? Spelling did in Rob and Amber. (Trying not to snort.)

I still like Danny and Oswald.

Just one question. I know this is supposed to be the All Stars. I recognize everyone but the guy with the dark hair and the girl with the blonde hair (a couple). Who are these people?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:49 am
I was very disappointed in Rob.

After he failed his first try with the sign post, I figured he would give it
another shot then bag it and go for "Navigate." It wasn't like him to be so
unrealistic.

It's beyond me why anyone would not have done "Navigate."
C'mon, "due south"? Even I can do that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:16 am
I think Rob only thought he had to build a sign - didn't realize what else was involved.

Any how that couple never ran the race together - they were on different teams and then hooked up.

I like the old couple too, I don't mind the Barbies - I like competitive teams.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:11 am
Question: Why do Charla and Mirna talk to the locals in pidgen English with a slightl non-American accent? Does this make them easier to understand? Worth knowing for the next time I'm in Mozambique.

Love Danny and Oswald. I'm trying not to root too hard for them. Only once has a team that I rooted for won. Don't want to jinx anything.

I'm liking the older married couple more than I did the first time.

Team Guido is still Team from Hunger in my book.

One more question: Do you think that the "predetermined" nonelimination legs are in fact predetermined? Or do the producers decide at the moment whether they want a team to stay or not? I have my suspicions.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:36 am
Yeah, I've always had my suspicions about that, Roberta -- especially last season when the lovable Kentuckians won it, time after time. That, and the little extra emphasis on "predetermined" whenever it's said.

But, I'm glad Uchenna & Joyce (hey! I remembered their names!) got it last night. I like them a lot, even if I keep forgetting about them. That's probably because they're the most normal people in the show.

Did anyone catch the names of the landmine-sniffing rats? It dawned on me as an afterthought that they were each named for a protest leader.

[whispers: I'm with you on the Danny & Oswald thing, Roberta.]
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:04 am
Roberta wrote:
Question: Why do Charla and Mirna talk to the locals in pidgen English with a slightl non-American accent? Does this make them easier to understand? Worth knowing for the next time I'm in Mozambique...

Ha! Yeah, is that annoying or what?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:20 pm
The one thing I can say about last night was I laughed my a$$ off.

Not that I am a fan of the fake accent chicks - but it worked for them so what the heck can I say - they were in last - but came in first.

I loved how the older couple got to the wrong market place, but ended up in what third place - what a hoot! They only had to paint two pairs of hands.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 12:10 am
Charla and Mirna are playing a very smart game. I snorted only a little when neither of them knew what a catamaran was.

Why were the two people booted off the plane?

Ian made some bad decisions. Now he and the missus are gone.

Still liking Danny and Oswald. If they're not interested in the first place prizes for the different legs, why not stop and get a snack? They knew they wouldn't come in last.

Glad Uchenna and Joyce are still in it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 08:22 am
Gotta love D & O's nonchalance. Stopping to buy fruit! And the
wisecracks that go right over peoples' heads. I also enjoy Uchenna's
ability to live in the moment. No matter what happens, he'll always
treasure the time he got to jump with the Masai.

I'm gonna miss Ian's hat.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 04:17 pm
Roberta wrote:
Why were the two people booted off the plane?

They were on standby, and I guess the people who originally purchased those seats showed up.

Ditto to what both Roberta & George say -- glad Uchenna & Joyce are still in it, still liking Danny & Oswald best ("Make your wrist go limp. You know how," says Danny to Oswald throwing the club.)

Next to go -- the Guidos. For supposedly sharp businessmen, these two get rattled easily.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 11:51 pm
A double dose.

Congrats, tico, on your accurate prediction.

There were two priceless moments in this episode. One of the Guidos trying to flag down the plane with a pocket flashlight. Charla in armor.

Don't know why the first two teams decided to use the fast forward. They were in no danger of coming in last. But I enjoyed watching the two teams working together. How they arrived at the stairs total was a rational and intelligent approach.

I don't understand why the people in Poland were so unhelpful to Charla and Mirna. That seemed strange to me.

Not sure what the travel agent in Africa was thinking--hanging up on Uchenna and Joyce. Not that it would have mattered in the long run, but that was an unusual approach to customer service.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 05:07 pm
Well, my success at prediction is only luck. Dare I hope for Charla & Mirna next? Very Happy

Very good show last night. Auschlitz was extremely poignant. It was very satisfying to see how well Danny & Oswald worked with Uchenna & Joyce.

I almost felt sorry for Charla, falling twice while trying to lead the horse. But I could've lived happily never seeing the puking scene. I'm trying to decide if Poles are generally rude, or just very canny about the 'charms' of Mirna.

As for the African travel agent -- she didn't know any of the players and so had no vested emotions in any. But she had customers in front of her, before she took the phone call. I get upset when I'm being served in a store, and the clerk interrupts my service to take and fulfil a telephone order. I believe the travel agent made the right choice (also assuming that multi-tasking is not highly developed in Tanzania).
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:27 pm
Quote of the night:
"Ladies and Gentlemen -- Miss California!"
I laughed myself silly.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 09:19 pm
George, That was a good one.

Tico, You're probably right about the travel agent. I think I was annoyed with her because the people in her office were being so obnoxious.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:38 am
Very true, that. It's most probable that her reaction had nothing to do with etiquette, and everything to do with wanting to be rid of Mirna ASAP (which turned out to be, what, 7 hours?). Smile Because she was Tanzanian, and not Polish, she had no defences against Mirna.

I guffawed at the Miss California line, as well.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 09:33 pm
Sorry to see Joyce and Uchenna go. They knew they were taking a big chance. And they already won once.

No one got on my nerves this time, not even Charla and Mirna. Am I mellowing?

When will these people learn that looking for a needle in a haystack takes longer than most other things?

This is a very competitive group.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:48 am
Roberta wrote:
Sorry to see Joyce and Uchenna go. They knew they were taking a big chance. And they already won once.

No one got on my nerves this time, not even Charla and Mirna. Am I mellowing?

When will these people learn that looking for a needle in a haystack takes longer than most other things?

This is a very competitive group.

I didn't get annoyed either and believe it or not am beginning to like Charla and Mirna a bit. So what if they didn't allow the other two to use the computers - they were using and two working at the same is more efficient. Also yielding is part of the game - I am sure it s*cks to be the one yielded, but I understand using any sort of competitive edge you can.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 09:51 pm
So the beauty queens have become the villains. They sat at the airline desk for an hour and a half while the other teams used some initiative to get themselves on a plane. And they should be first???

Danny and Oswald are still my first choice. I hope they're able to accumulate some money. This could end up being a problem for them.

Have to admit (reluctantly) that Charla and Mirna are less distasteful than they used to be. They are tough.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 03:11 pm
Three teams left. Of the remaining three, I find myself rooting for Charla and Mirna. Stranger things have been known to happen.
0 Replies