Europe hits back at Bush in GM row

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:11 pm
au1929 wrote:
I should remind you the Africa was split up and raped by the nations of Europe. And if there is any blame to be assigned it belongs to them.

May I kindly remind you, au, that the colonisation of Africa by Europe was already completely finished, when the USA started their expansation?
And this certainly was caused by the fact that the USA had been a European colony as well.

Britain, btw, is generally been seen as a European country and member of the EU.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:44 pm
Walter
May I kindly remind you, au, that the colonization of Africa by Europe was already completely finished, when the USA started their expansion?
And this certainly was caused by the fact that the USA had been a European colony as well.

Do not understand what you are driving at. The damage done by colonization was done by the European Powers.
Yes, I know that Briton belongs to the UN. I am sure that there are enough other members to allow for British non participation.
The fact remains if anyone should be helping it is the responsible nations of Europe. It is time for them to get off the soap box and do something constructive
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:44 pm
English Nature has warned ministers to prepare for the "worst case" scenario if they press ahead with proposals to grow GM crops. If the worst case becomes reality, the agency fears that farmers could turn to highly toxic and old-fashioned weedkillers such as Paraquat and 2,4-D because they will be faced with GM "superweeds" that can resist most modern weedkillers.

These superweeds will emerge because it is "inevitable" that weedkiller-tolerant genes will escape from GM crops such as sugar beet, maize and oilseed rape into normal plants, English Nature states. The dangerous genes will be carried by the pollen of GM crops, spread by the wind, by insects and by farmers moving between fields.

GM threatens a superweed catastrophe
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:49 pm
au1929 wrote:
Walter
May I kindly remind you, au, that the colonization of Africa by Europe was already completely finished, when the USA started their expansion?

Do not understand what you are driving at. The damage done by colonization was done by the European Powers.
Yes, I know that Briton belongs to the UN. I am sure that there are enough other members to allow for British non participation.
The fact remains if anyone should be helping it is the responsible nations of Europe. It is time for them to get off the soap box and do something constructive

Where were all those abducted africans working? What is more devestating for a continent than to lose most of its young and vital people?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:54 am
Around 30 people have staged a naked protest against GM food today in the UK.
The protesters spelled out "NO GM" with their bodies in a meadow at Forest Row, East Sussex.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/60391.jpg

GM protesters bare all
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 09:27 am
frolic

Quote:
Where were all those abducted Africans working? What is more devastating for a continent than to lose most of its young and vital people?

The answer the entire so called new world including north and South America.

Who may I ask abducted them and sold them into slavery. Their own people or the competing tribes who were fighting and killing each other. {Much the same as today}. Who were the principle slave traders. The Arabs.
Those facts are completely disregarded and all the blame is placed on those at the end of the chain.

Oh I forgot it's only fashionable to blame whites for all the ills of the world. In particular American white people.

A large segment of which whose ancestors were not even in the US when slavery was in force
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 09:36 am
au
Does that mean American whites should be held blameless?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 09:37 am
au1929 wrote:

A large segment of which whose ancestors were not even in the US when slavery was in force

It's interesting to follow your argumentation, au, because when you attack Europe (Europeans), you are arguing the other way round.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 10:01 am
edgarblythe

Did I say that? What I did say that in the long chain of slavery the Whites in the US probably were the least to blame. I should note that slavery was not something invented with the discovery of the Americas but has been a human condition from time immemorial. Before you misconstrue I did not say I favor slavery.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 10:05 am
Walter

Quote:
It's interesting to follow your argumentation, au, because when you attack Europe (Europeans), you are arguing the other way round.

Please explain.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
au1929 wrote:
Who may I ask abducted them and sold them into slavery. Their own people or the competing tribes who were fighting and killing each other. {Much the same as today}. Who were the principle slave traders. The Arabs.
Those facts are completely disregarded and all the blame is placed on those at the end of the chain.

au1929 - i'm sure you're familiar with the famous saying "the buck stops here". Responsibility comes with that buck. If there wasn't a market for slaves, the slave traders would have found another source of income.

Someone has money and wants a new liver? They can get one. Someone has money and wants slaves? There's a more than decent chance that slaves of one sort or another will be provided. The end of the chain can fairly be blamed, in my opinion.

In the same way, the 'end of the chain' can be credited with many things. The U.S. wanted a space program. They had the money for it. Many things were invented for the space program that the world has benefitted from.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:29 pm
ehBeth
Quote:
au1929 -- I'm sure you're familiar with the famous saying "the buck stops here." Responsibility comes with that buck. If there wasn't a market for slaves, the slave traders would have found another source of income.

I could say the same thing if there weren't any slaves to be bought there wouldn't have been any to buy. I am sure you have heard the question what came first the chicken or the egg?
I don't condone the age old practice of slavery but I also don't look at yesterday's practice through today's eyes.
The fact remains one hears very little about the complicity and large part played by the Arabs and Africans in the slave trade. They seem to be immune from criticism. Could it be because they couldn't care less and would not react if confronted. Or there is nothing to be gotten from them if the slavery issue is brought up.
May I also note that slavery is still in vogue in parts of the Arab world?
0 Replies