How should we comprehend the following sentence?

fansy

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:20 am
[The ascendant right] was libertarian in economics, traditional in values and confrontational in foreign policy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 662 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 12:43 pm
What don't you understand about it?
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:05 am
I don't quite understand "The Ascendant right"
The conservative era in US politics, which has coincided with my adult lifetime, came to an end two weeks ago. Though the seeds were sown by Barry Goldwater in 1964, this era truly began in 1980 when Ronald Reagan's election first brought the conservative movement to power. [The ascendant right] was libertarian in economics, traditional in values and confrontational in foreign policy.

I suppose this is a sentence with a reversed order: libertarian in economics, traditional in values and confrontational in foreigne policy were the ascendant right.

Right?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:39 am
I don't see what your problem is with that sentence. Are you quoting it from somewhere, or is it your own? What do the square brackets denote?

Why reverse the order? That just makes it sound like something a Jedi would say.

My dog is long of leg, black of coat, and alert of eye. A straightforward sentence stating that the subject (Towser) has a comma-separated list of qualities.

Or am I missing some political point here? (I'm not American.) If so, it shouldn't be in the English section.

Is English your first language?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:24 pm
Re: I don't quite understand "The Ascendant right"
fansy wrote:
The conservative era in US politics, which has coincided with my adult lifetime, came to an end two weeks ago. Though the seeds were sown by Barry Goldwater in 1964, this era truly began in 1980 when Ronald Reagan’s election first brought the conservative movement to power. [The ascendant right] was libertarian in economics, traditional in values and confrontational in foreign policy.

I suppose this is a sentence with a reversed order: libertarian in economics, traditional in values and confrontational in foreigne policy were the ascendant right.

Right?

I don't think it is reversed, fansy.

"The ascendant right" is the subject of the sentence.

Ascendant means rising.

Thus the sentence is referring to the right (wing of politics) who were gaining power, or rising above its opponents, at the time to which the author is referring.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:49 pm
Re: I don't quite understand "The Ascendant right"
dlowan wrote:

I don't think it is reversed, fansy.

You're right. I've got it now! Fansy, what threw me about your sentence was, you seemed to think it contains a question, "Were (or was) the ascendant right?" Well, dlowan has clarified the meaning of "the ascendant right", and I'll add that if it was a question, it should have one of these "?" at the end. The fact that, as you typed it, it has a period at the end, threw me off. Thanks, dlowan.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 03:07 pm
I didn't get meaning of right right, that's why...
Thank you all, you guys,
I didn't get the meaning of right right, that's why the stupid question.
Now I see it's about the rising right-wing in US politics which is libertarian, traditional and confrontational...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 03:11 pm
contrex wrote:
What don't you understand about it?

Yeah, I was reading this sentence last night and couldn't understand the confusion either.

So, it's that he didn't comprehend the word "right" was a noun in this instance?
0 Replies