Neo culpa....the full Vanity Fair piece

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:00 am
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/01/neocons200701?printable=true&currentPage=all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 784 • Replies: 12
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:24 am
This should make the lefties happy, not only have they been granted a chance to make everything rosy in the US, they will now be able to stop payment on the check that the US has written to pay for Iraq, right? They do control the purse strings in Congress, they do have the power to now cut & run. I expect all of our troops will be home NLT Frb, right?
Vanity Fair should have demanded that the leftists now step up to the plate & bring 'em home.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:41 am
Well, forgive "the left" for believing that these are American people in Iraq, fighting a war that has made little sense from it's inception. Forgive "the left" for realizing that some battles are worth fighting and some never were to begin with.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:44 am
candidone1 wrote:
Well, forgive "the left" for believing that these are American people in Iraq, fighting a war that has made little sense from it's inception. Forgive "the left" for realizing that some battles are worth fighting and some never were to begin with.

Huh?

I guess we should also forgive the left for:
1. Providing GW with a blanlet authorization to use force.
2. Complaining ever since they provided such authorization
3. Never providing viable alternatives
4. Currently doing nothing to change the "course"

Stop apologizing for the hypocracy of either political party.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 09:04 am
candidone1 wrote:

Are you agreeing that the left has the power to stop the war?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 09:06 am
woiyo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Huh?

& now they can stop by simply cutting off the funding, they did it with Vietnam, nothing stopping them from doing it for Iraq. They might do that too....just in time for the 2008 elections.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 09:20 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
woiyo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Huh?

& now they can stop by simply cutting off the funding, they did it with Vietnam, nothing stopping them from doing it for Iraq. They might do that too....just in time for the 2008 elections.

Their "majority" is not THAT strong. Plus, it would be political suicide as the Republicans can use that against them in 08.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:56 am
woiyo wrote:
Huh?

I never said that "the left" should be forgiven for this. I do, however, realize that the democrats who voted for the war did so based on the (can I call it flawed?) intel provided to them by the Bush administration. There was overwhelming bipartisan support for the war based on this flawed intel. so, the left should should be held partially accountable for not digging in their heels and demanding more reliable intel before propelling a few hundred thousand Americans into this conflict.

woiyo wrote:

The democrats have seized control of the House and the Senate. You act as though they should weild the same dictatorial sword as Bush....and seem to believe they they even can. There are alternatives being explored, which, in the last month, is more than Bush even remotely considered in 3 years of this grotesque debacle.

I am hardly apologizing. I was simply making the point that this war began on false pretenses and Americans are dying for it.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 12:46 pm
People conveniently forget what the political climate was in 2002-2003. we were still a nation that was suffering from mass-PTSD from 9/11. Bush even had me convinced that the invasion might be justified.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 12:47 pm
Quote:
[Richard] Perle goes as far as to say that, if he had his time over, he would not advocate an invasion of Iraq: "I think if I had been delphic, and had seen where we are today, and people had said, 'Should we go into Iraq?,' I think now I probably would have said, 'No, let's consider other strategies for dealing with the thing that concerns us most, which is Saddam supplying weapons of mass destruction to terrorists.'..."

Quote:
Now [Kenneth Adelman] says, "I am extremely disappointed by the outcome in Iraq, because I just presumed that what I considered to be the most competent national-security team since Truman was indeed going to be competent. They turned out to be among the most incompetent teams in the postwar era. Not only did each of them, individually, have enormous flaws, but together they were deadly, dysfunctional."

Quote:

There were many, many people in 2002 and 2003 who saw exactly what these shapers of American policy were too wilfully blind or just plain too stupid to see: that the war would turn into a disaster. The article says less about their change in perspective in 2006 than their startling, murderous incompetence in 2003.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 01:17 pm
woiyo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
woiyo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Huh?

Their "majority" is not THAT strong. Plus, it would be political suicide as the Republicans can use that against them in 08.

Nor was the republicans that strong but it didn't stop the dems from demanding that the troops be brought home. Now the dems have the ball, they should play by the same rules they expected the repubs to play by.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:28 am
I don't understand the statement "nor was the Republicans that strong".
In the first 2/3 of Bush's tenure, he effectively ensured republican control of the House, the Senate, the executive and the judicial branch of government.

How can that be construed as "not strong".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:27 pm
Thanks Blatham, I was wondering when this artice was going to appear.
0 Replies