Military Meets, Exceeds Goals

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 12:10 pm
Army private Steve Green who instigated the rape of a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and the murder of her family would not have been admitted to the peacetime army because of his record of mental instability.

I don't deny his patriotism--but I'm saddened that he now represents America and the all-volunteer army to many Arabs.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 01:21 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
You are twisting the issue.

The issue is that the military preys on many kids who are in poverty or in a difficult situation. This is why the majority of new recruits come from lower-class neighborhoods, and minorities are represented in the military ranks at a far greater percentage that would be expected if all Americans were equally "patriotic".

There are many people who were compelled to join for patriotism. Many of these people (like Webb's) are now disillusioned and bitter toward the military.

The topic is recruitment and the question is who are the people being recruited now and what tactics are being used to recruit them.

When did Webbs son say that he was dissilusioned & bitter toward the military? I'd have to see that or hear it to believe it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 01:46 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

The issue is that the military preys on many kids who are in poverty or in a difficult situation. This is why the majority of new recruits come from lower-class neighborhoods, and minorities are represented in the military ranks at a far greater percentage that would be expected if all Americans were equally "patriotic".

There are many people who were compelled to join for patriotism. Many of these people (like Webb's) are now disillusioned and bitter toward the military.

The topic is recruitment and the question is who are the people being recruited now and what tactics are being used to recruit them.

When did Webbs son say that he was dissilusioned & bitter toward the military? I'd have to see that or hear it to believe it.

I agree with you LSM. I haven't heard that at all. In fact I'm happy with the way things have gone on my deployment. I'm looking forward to my 2nd deployment when it happens in a few years. I'm also hoping that it runs in line with my reenlistment so that I can get my reenlistment bonus tax free. If it doesn't then I'm still going to reenlist because I don't do this for the money. I like getting paid but my enlistment at the age of 30 was purely for patriotic reasons.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:00 pm
"Poverty is largely seen as a way to reach recruitment goals for many military recruiters. Kids who haven't succeeded in high school and don't have good employment prospects are seen as targets because recruiters know they don't hve many other opportunities.

Don't play the head-in-the-sand patriotism card Coastal. The majority of the kids signing up aren't the kids of Wealthy Americans (or Congress members). Or are you saying kids from lower class neighborhoods are more patriotic than your kids? "

So what is wrong with giving these kids an opportunity to gain valuable skills while providing a valuable service to their nation?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's odd that our Military Academies have never had any problem recruiting the best and the brightest. Odd.

That's because they're being prepared for careers as officers who send the grunts to die not go in themselves so much.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:20 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
It's odd that our Military Academies have never had any problem recruiting the best and the brightest. Odd.

That's because they're being prepared for careers as officers who send the grunts to die not go in themselves so much.

Very few line officers, and that's what graduates will be, don't serve on the front lines with the enlisted personnel. Even fewer graduate and get promoted to General.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:20 pm
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

I agree with you LSM. I haven't heard that at all. In fact I'm happy with the way things have gone on my deployment. I'm looking forward to my 2nd deployment when it happens in a few years. I'm also hoping that it runs in line with my reenlistment so that I can get my reenlistment bonus tax free. If it doesn't then I'm still going to reenlist because I don't do this for the money. I like getting paid but my enlistment at the age of 30 was purely for patriotic reasons.

Thanks for your service. My husband is a retired 22 year AF vet, I get really angry when people, ESPECIALLY Americans say such things (scraping the bottom of the barrel) about our military personnel. It shows a blatant hate & ignorance on their part. Our military comes from our society 7 i refuse to believe that there are more bad people than good.
My husband is also a Vietnam vet, all this filth being said about our military now has been said before, they never learn.
Good luck with the bonus, God speed on your deployment, stay safe.
Our grandson is in Afghanistan.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:23 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Very few line officers, and that's what graduates will be, don't serve on the front lines with the enlisted personnel. Even fewer graduate and get promoted to General.

You also have to remember that there are dangerous jobs that only officers do. Flying for instance is an officers job. It could be fixed wing or rotorary wing aircraft. While most of them are Warrant Officers they are officers none the less. My Platoon leader was a graduate of the Air Force Academy and opted to join the Army after school and had been flying helicopters ever sense.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:35 pm
After 22 years in the service and touring Viet Nam this guy is married to LSM? Jesus hasn't his life been hard enough? Razz
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:38 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
After 22 years in the service and touring Viet Nam this guy is married to LSM? Jesus hasn't his life been hard enough? Razz

Oh please. Someone married you didn't they?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
Baldimo wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

You also have to remember that there are dangerous jobs that only officers do. Flying for instance is an officers job. It could be fixed wing or rotorary wing aircraft. While most of them are Warrant Officers they are officers none the less. My Platoon leader was a graduate of the Air Force Academy and opted to join the Army after school and had been flying helicopters ever sense.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that three Lt Cols got killed in Iraq? I don't believe that the terrorists are picky about which American military or coalition troops they kill. Then too, no front lines exist in Iraq, right?
My husband was a pilot, flew F-4s over N. Vietnam, 133 missions.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

They did???? Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:50 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yeah go figure. A rather nice person at that. Hard to believe sometimes that someone with so much sense would attach themselves to a bear.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:55 pm
McGentrix wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yeah go figure. A rather nice person at that. Hard to believe sometimes that someone with so much sense would attach themselves to a bear.

The spouse must be a saint, no other explanation could explain it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
She is....
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 04:03 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
She is....

I am happy that you think that of your wife, says a lot about you....seriously.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 04:09 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
She is....

Yep, and imagine how you would react if someone came on A2K and said some real stupid shite about her? Even in jest.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 04:16 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
She is....

Yep, and imagine how you would react if someone came on A2K and said some real stupid shite about her? Even in jest.

Probably about the same way you would if someone came on and made some slutty remark about Mrs. Bigfoot I'm guessing....
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:11 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Thanks for your service. My husband is a retired 22 year AF vet, I get really angry when people, ESPECIALLY Americans say such things (scraping the bottom of the barrel) about our military personnel. It shows a blatant hate & ignorance on their part. Our military comes from our society 7 i refuse to believe that there are more bad people than good.
My husband is also a Vietnam vet, all this filth being said about our military now has been said before, they never learn.
Good luck with the bonus, God speed on your deployment, stay safe.
Our grandson is in Afghanistan.

Did you serve?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:51 pm
No, I did not serve. Did you?
Why do you ask if I served?
0 Replies