Bloomberg for President?

nimh

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 05:43 pm
There's been talk, on and off, of the prospect of New York mayor Michael Bloomberg waging a run for President in 2008. As Independent.

It's not been taken all too seriously by all too many people yet - but as the below snippet shows, he's not exactly eager to dispel the speculation.

In the still unlikely case that he were to run, what would you think? Personally, of him? And about the impact on the Democratic and Republican campaigns?

Bloomberg formally won his office as the Republican candidate, but appears to be somewhere to the left of Lincoln Chafee. My guess is that any run of his, even if it would just gather a few percentage points, would be to the detriment of the Democrat.

Here's the entertaining little, highly lighthearted snippet:

Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 549 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:40 am
His success or failure as a Presidential candidate would hinge entirely on the person/s running against him. As a mayor he is something different, not exactly the warmest or most accessible character, but good with management skills which to some degree is what New York City needed when he stepped in and still needs now. Is this management style suited for the National front? I do not believe so. Bloomberg, similar to his predecessor Rudolph Giuliani is not known for working with others. He is the power and expects all to bow at his knees and acknowledge him as ruler (or at least supreme leader of the region), The city of New York is in many ways better due to the governing style of both Bloomberg and Giuliani but not necessarily happier. Neither man has the needed component for Presidency which is flexibility...an ability to work well with others and listen to their ideas openly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:16 am
Sturgis wrote:
Neither man has the needed component for Presidency which is flexibility...an ability to work well with others and listen to their ideas openly.

Well, Bush won two elections without showing any of that skill..
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 01:29 pm
Nothing in the poll fits me, so I will say, as an American that votes for the person, not the party, that i would never vote for Bloomberg. He has shown a willingness to be discriminatory, & has done so.
Even if he wasn't a bigot I'd never vote for him, he's waaaay too liberal for this conservative.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:30 pm
Are you registered to vote, LSM?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:49 pm
I think Sturgis has posted very cogently--Mayor is not an office which gives credibility for the type of leadership needed at the national level. Governors do best, by far, of all of those who run for the office of President. They have some claim to management experience, and dealing with and reconciling political opponents. Mayors, once in office, are in most cases, beyond the reach of political parties until they are obliged to run again.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:03 pm
nimh wrote:
Are you registered to vote, LSM?

Yes, in Texas, one does not have to register with a political party.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:20 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

OK, gotcha.

You dont consider yourself a Republican? Nor an independent?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:36 pm
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

OK, gotcha.

You dont consider yourself a Republican? Nor an independent?

No, I'm an American.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:21 pm
Umm.. Republicans are Americans too, last I checked.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:37 pm
I rather like Bloomberg, but I don't know the breadth of his points of view.

I thought Sturgis' post was helpful.
0 Replies