What astonished, or took you quite by surprise, today?

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 08:06 pm
Went to see my Mum today in the Care Home.

She's extremely frail now and not very well at the moment, and once again, didn't know who I was for most of the visit.
As she can play the organ, they persuaded her to go over and knock out a few tunes for the other ladies to sing along with. I almost had to carry her over to the organ, but as soon as she sat down she started belting out old wartime numbers, note perfect. That's what amazed me.
She can't recognise her own son, but can remember song after song, playing them perfectly.

I stayed for quite a while with her today, as I'm pretty certain that this will be her last christmas, and wanted to make sure she was having a good time. She was.

I was very proud of her and posted a bit on A2K about it, on the dreaded Brit thread but obviously didn't go into much detail, and did it in my usual humorous/silly style.
I thought it would go down well and raise the odd smile, but for some reason it was almost turned into one of those boring and tedious North South slanging matches, which took the edge off things in a big way.
So that's another thing that amazed me.......why the hell do I keep going back in there? One minute I'm feeling all Christmassy and happy, the next I'm left scratching my head. Personally, I hate all this clannish stuff.
It's OK when it's done as an obvious joke, but when it goes on and on.....OI!

Well, I'll try to avoid the bloody thing in future, until next time.

That's my "amazed" story, followed by a bit of a rant.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Well done, Mum.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 08:12 pm
Yeah, good on ya mum! You've done well! Very Happy

And good on ya, Ellpus, too! You've done extra well with your mum. I know how difficult it's been for you. You've been fantastic!

Sorry to hear about the reaction on the Brit thread.
I'm guessing: the usual suspects?
<sigh>
Sorry that happened, Ellpus.
You didn't need that.

Why do you keep going back there?

Coz your British, dammit! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 08:32 pm
Nah, it wasn't just the post about my Mum....it just seems that a certain person doesn't like me, or doesn't like me taking some of the limelight.
Funny though, when this North South thing rears it's head, it nearly always comes from a Northerner.

Of course, it's only done in jest most of the time, but when it's done in a certain way, one that is intended to rile, you don't see many other Northerners speaking against it for long. They usually end up joining in and reinforcing the whole thing.

Funny bunch, when it comes to territory. I sort of wonder why it's actually called the "British" thread sometimes. Very Happy

Personally, I love Britain as a whole. I don't distinguish between regions or countries within Britain. It's a sort of micro racism in a way, IMO, all this regional cr*p....when it's done seriously.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 08:46 pm
Surprised The north/south thing?

Folk are still on about that?

And on Christmas Eve, fer god's sake!

Pay no attention, Ellpus (if you can manage it).

That's just mean-spirited & downright stoopid!

Chin up! You're British, remember?

If you can survive the Blitz you can survive this! :wink:

(ps ... perhaps the offending party will migrate? And will have to find another thread? Sadly, I believe Oz is full at the moment, though. Perhaps Canada? :wink:)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:14 pm
<last post before I head off to brave the shops>

Damn!

My jumbo tomato plant just got blown over in the wind! Shocked Evil or Very Mad

(It's in a big pot, on one of those wheelie things, you see.)

I've just gone out & rescued it. Set its stems right & brushed it off a bit.

And astonishingly, it looks to continue to spread its tentacles up, out, north, east & west!

This plant doesn't know when enough is enough!

I won't be able to get out the backdoor soon! :wink:
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:20 pm
i'll have to post a pic of my tomatoes after their planted in a week or so

all 150,000+
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:25 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i'll have to post a pic of my tomatoes after their planted in a week or so

all 150,000+

What does 150,000+ mean, djjd?

(Isn't it rather cold for tomato planting in Canada right now? You have a green house?)

Whatever, I firmly believe my solitary triffid tomato cannot be beaten! Something of a world record I have, out there on my decking!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:28 pm
work at a ten acre greenhouse, we're planting 6 acres of tomatoes around new years
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:32 pm
Ah, I see.

I suppose a person could plant other things there, too?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:53 pm
Ah, well, Ellpus, I gave up on that one and a batch of other threads. I don't have the patience, and finally the interest - but the same would irritate me if it was set in my environs.

Hmmm, what are my environs? Despite my new mexican hat, I am from California. Lotta north south stuff going on there too.

Meantime, much pleasant to you all...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:14 pm
L.E., Glad to hear that your Mum is hanging in. What you described reminded me vividly of my own mother toward the end. She had no idea who I was, but she participated in spelling bees and won them all. She could still play the piano. Different parts of the brain, I guess.

I remember the nurses complaining that during the spelling bees she shouted out the answers even when it wasn't her turn. Part of her illness--not remembering the rules? I assured them that she would have done the same thing when she was in her prime. Some things don't change.

I understand how hard it must be for you to see her the way she is now. My thoughts are with you.

Enjoy the holiday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:24 pm
Ratchetting myself back from holiday wishing,

I remember the not-knowing all so well. Hugs to you, Ellpus, your mom, your wife; Roberta, your mom; my mom, myself.

And all other posters here.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:40 am
Mornin', all you nice people.

What has amazed me this morning?

The sound of aircraft flying overhead!

HEATHROW MUST HAVE RE-OPENED!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:45 am
Clear skies above?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:54 am
Almost!

There are definitely planes up there, and they're all pretty low so I assume that they are from Heathrow.
I'll check the news........

If it IS Heathrow, then we're in for a noisy day today, as they try to clear the backlog.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 01:14 am
Yep, back to normal.

Funny, i didn't hear any planes yesterday. Maybe they were going out in another direction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6207287.stm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 01:33 am
It surprised my a lot who didn't send Christmas cards this year.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 01:55 am
Aw, you want more cards, Walter?

I'll send you one if you like! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 01:59 am
It just surprised me that some, who usually are the first to send a card for any occasion, missed that this year at all.

(I peronally don't mind at all.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 02:00 am
Maybe they're busier than usual this year, Walter? You might receive their cards after Christmas.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 11:43:55