What astonished, or took you quite by surprise, today?

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:38 am
walter wrote :

"It just surprised me that some, who usually are the first to send a card for any occasion, missed that this year at all.

(I peronally don't mind at all.) "

sorry , walter !
if i'd known earlier , i would have sent a couple of dozens .
30 - 40 years ago we'd sent and receive probably close to a 100 christmas cards (postage was 3 cents - special rate for christmas cards !) . now we are down to about 15 cards (postage rate for canada is 51 cents - overseas over a dollar - it's cheaper to phone , and also nicer to chat a bit) .

http://www.salzburgeradvent.at/components/com_phpshop/shop_image/product/02c70666366224a056eb81cbe08f13d7.jpg

trying to make up for the missing christmas-cards !
merry christmas to walter and his family !
the hamburgers
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 01:26 am
Nothing remotely astonishing or surprising to report today.
Just an uneventful, peaceful, post-Chrstmas day.
No complaints here. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 08:29 pm
Just went out to my post box & surprise!
What do I find but an invitation to sign up for a gold card with American Express. Now my other credit card is about to expire, any minute now. I'm rather surprised at American Express' remarkable timing! I mean, do they have some sort of telepathy concerning expiring credit cards, or something?

(No, I'm not taking up the offer.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:05 am
This post is not so much about being astonished or surprised. It's an update on that triffid tomato plant, the one I began this tread with. I think it's cursed. Its tentacles keep growing upward & outward, smacking me in the face as I try to walk past it. It fell off its wheelie thing in the wind, as I mentioned earlier. Then I had to add stronger & higher stakes because it kept growing & growing (it looks ridiculous! Laughing ) .... and tonight, as a wild wind ripped through Melbourne (cool change!), I had to drag the damned thing into a sheltered spot to avoid the unthinkable. Why couldn't it have just been a normal, nice little tomato plant like it was supposed to be?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:20 am
Eh, nice and normal is boring.

How do the tomatoes taste?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:26 am
msolga wrote:
This post is not so much about being astonished or surprised. It's an update on that triffid tomato plant, the one I began this tread with. I think it's cursed. Its tentacles keep growing upward & outward, smacking me in the face as I try to walk past it. It fell off its wheelie thing in the wind, as I mentioned earlier. Then I had to add stronger & higher stakes because it kept growing & growing (it looks ridiculous! Laughing ) .... and tonight, as a wild wind ripped through Melbourne (cool change!), I had to drag the damned thing into a sheltered spot to avoid the unthinkable. Why couldn't it have just been a normal, nice little tomato plant like it was supposed to be?

Sounds like Little Shop of Horrors, or maybe Jack and the Beanstalk. Watch out the monster tomato doesn't get Poppy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:10 pm
Msolga--

This summer something was scheduled to go completely cattywampus in your life.

The Goddess looked at the requirements of Fate and decreed, "Let this "something" be Msolga's tomato plant". Let lesser women have deceptive lovers or intestinal polyps or expensive car trouble. Msolga deserves only a cattywampus tomato plant. I have spoken."

Blessings arrive in very peculiar shapes. At least you know because of the time restrictions that you aren't dealing with a reincarnation of Saddam Hussein.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:27 pm
It's seventy-two f*cking degrees today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:31 pm
Kicky- What the hell should I say? In my neck of the woods, it was 81 this afternoon. I really would appreciate a little bit of cool before I have to face another long, hot summer! Rolling Eyes

It's the hair spray kids, the hairspray! :wink: Go tell them that in Colorado!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:36 pm
Macclesfield losing to Chelsea
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:47 am
sozobe wrote:
Eh, nice and normal is boring.

How do the tomatoes taste?

Very good, soz!

Smallish, about the size of grapes, but sweet, with pleasingly thin skins, compared to the bought varieties of cherry tomatoes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:50 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Kicky- What the hell should I say? In my neck of the woods, it was 81 this afternoon. I really would appreciate a little bit of cool before I have to face another long, hot summer! Rolling Eyes

It's the hair spray kids, the hairspray! :wink: Go tell them that in Colorado!

I miss Florida. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:51 am
Roberta wrote:
Sounds like Little Shop of Horrors, or maybe Jack and the Beanstalk. Watch out the monster tomato doesn't get Poppy.

She's safe, Roberta.
She keeps well clear of the beast!
It's me who has to wrestle with it on a daily basis. If it would only stop growing!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:59 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Msolga--

This summer something was scheduled to go completely cattywampus in your life.

The Goddess looked at the requirements of Fate and decreed, "Let this "something" be Msolga's tomato plant". Let lesser women have deceptive lovers or intestinal polyps or expensive car trouble. Msolga deserves only a cattywampus tomato plant. I have spoken."

Blessings arrive in very peculiar shapes. At least you know because of the time restrictions that you aren't dealing with a reincarnation of Saddam Hussein.

You are incredibly wise, Noddy. Always.
Now it's quite clear to me. Things could have been far, far worse!
One tomato/triffid plant is a blessing, really .... just imagine if I'd planted six of them! Shocked

I see your point & I will overcome this minor challenge by a mere plant!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 03:35 pm
Msolga--

Thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:28 pm
All true! Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:53 pm
msolga, I knew there was something about this tomato plant that bothered me.

The Day of the Triffids (1962)
A shower of meteorites produces a glow that blinds anyone that looks at it. As it was such a beautiful sight, most people were watching, and as a consequence, 99% of the population go blind. This chaos results in the escape of some Triffids: experimental plants that are capable of moving themselves around and attacking people.(summary from IMDB)

I'm glad Poppy is safe, but what about you? Oy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:09 am
Thank you for your timely concern, Roberta.

This particular tomato plant is clearly some sort of aberration from the norm!

It continues to grow (wildly, insanely!) but I have taken precautions to protect Ms Poppy & myself from the worst of its excesses. I think we now have it under control. Sort of ...

For the moment we are safe.

But later ... who knows?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:03 am
It's back! I can't believe it! My darling hubby FOUND IT!!!!!

About a year ago, I was given a remarkable family heirloom. It was Eva's diamond ring. (The original Eva...see profile.) The diamonds in the ring came from her mother's (my grandmother's) wedding brooch. It was given to me so I could one day hand it down to my son and it would stay in the family. No one else has children.

I was awed. I wore the ring proudly for six whole days before it disappeared. Embarrassed

I was beside myself. I was absolutely sure I'd put it on my nightstand before I went to sleep, but it wasn't there in the morning. I thought one of the cats had probably played with it and pushed it under something. I literally tore the house apart. Several times. So did hubby. So did the lady who cleans my house. I was mortified. I broke out in a cold sweat every time I thought of it this past year.

Of course, I couldn't bring myself to tell Eva's daughter, who gave it to me. She had trusted me to make sure it was preserved for future generations. What kind of idiot would misplace something that precious?! I have made up all kinds of excuses not to tell her.

Yesterday hubby was working on an electrical problem in my car (the guy loves to fix things) and saw something shiny wedged under the driver's seat next to the heater...way back in there. It was Eva's ring. Apparently it came off my finger when I removed my gloves in the car last winter.

You should have seen his face when he gave it back to me.

I love that guy. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:30 am
So, Eva. I don't suppose my having found your umbrella in my car will be anything of the ring proportion. Razz
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 11:44:49