What astonished, or took you quite by surprise, today?

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 01:44 am
Well, it didn't make me smile, nor did it make me grimace & grit my teeth, so .... a new thread! Very Happy

I hadn't been paying much attention to a (cherry) tomato plant that I'd planted a couple of months ago in a large pot, on my decking. On one of those wheelie thingies, so I could move it out of the way of the wind, into the sun .... you get the picture. Laughing

Anyway, it was doing rather poorly, I thought, then I got very busy, so I wasn't paying much attention ...

Today, taking a break from my my work, I noticed that it had developed. Boy, had it developed, it was now taller than me! Surprised Straggly bits all over the place that needed to be staked. But the good news is: flowers & fruit! Very Happy

Amazing what can be happening while you're not paying any attention!
I now have a triffid tomato plant! I just wish it would stop getting taller!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,870 • Replies: 279
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 01:46 am
So .... any surprises or astonishments in your life today?

Big or small, it doesn't matter.

Tell! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 06:37 am
I see you're all having a thoroughly predictable day today! :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 06:48 am
Cudgelling brains....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:04 am
During the dark time of the year I wish that all surprises were pleasant.

May your entire summer be like the stealth tomato plant.

How is the Noddy24 rose?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:28 am
msolga wrote:

And therein you found what astonished me...all though in fairness it was yesterday. I became predictable. Egads! I arose early as usual and puttered around a bit before the day got going. Then...and I can't create this one for anything...the telephone rang and I ignored it.
I checked the b.p. and it was holding steady. It was Saturday so I lazed around doing next to nothing (two doors over from anything and a full mile from every-other-thing). At 8:33-P.M. I returned the phone call to the person who had left three messages...predictable, since this is how I always handle him. Predictable right down to the time of day that I make that call.

By early today (when I awoke), I had forgotten which teams were opposing each other in the football games this afternoon...predictable. I still despised the Yankees management for bringing that scuzball Pettitte back (have they forgotten the Cleveland game already?)...predictable (I never liked Pettitte). I drank my coffee from the cup, holding the cup in my left hand...predictable. I headed to the bath for the morning shower...predictable. After that I gassed up the computer (yes, mine is powered by a tank of Sinclair) and read the NY Times...noticed that Troy Smith had won the Heisman...predictable. I had figured he would, and good for him that he did; but, predictable...they seem to do this award every year at this time. I checked for e-mails...predictable....

I must be getting old if I am becoming predictable...better do something about that. So, this morning I put the left sock on first...Hah! Now I am unpredictable again.

What has surprised me most this morning is the level of eerie quiet...not even the slightest sound of traffic wafting over the rooftop from the street.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:32 am
Little does she know I snuck in and replaced her poorly tomatoe with a good one from "up the country". Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:34 am
Sturgis wrote:
msolga wrote:

And therein you found what astonished me...all though in fairness it was yesterday. I became predictable. Egads! I arose early as usual and puttered around a bit before the day got going. Then...and I can't create this one for anything...the telephone rang and I ignored it.
I checked the b.p. and it was holding steady. It was Saturday so I lazed around doing next to nothing (two doors over from anything and a full mile from every-other-thing). At 8:33-P.M. I returned the phone call to the person who had left three messages...predictable, since this is how I always handle him. Predictable right down to the time of day that I make that call.

By early today (when I awoke), I had forgotten which teams were opposing each other in the football games this afternoon...predictable. I still despised the Yankees management for bringing that scuzball Pettitte back (have they forgotten the Cleveland game already?)...predictable (I never liked Pettitte). I drank my coffee from the cup, holding the cup in my left hand...predictable. I headed to the bath for the morning shower...predictable. After that I gassed up the computer (yes, mine is powered by a tank of Sinclair) and read the NY Times...noticed that Troy Smith had won the Heisman...predictable. I had figured he would, and good for him that he did; but, predictable...they seem to do this award every year at this time. I checked for e-mails...predictable....

I must be getting old if I am becoming predictable...better do something about that. So, this morning I put the left sock on first...Hah! Now I am unpredictable again.

What has surprised me most this morning is the level of eerie quiet...not even the slightest sound of traffic wafting over the rooftop from the street.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I bet that, somewhere, a dog barked, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:35 am
dadpad wrote:
Little does she know I snuck in and replaced her poorly tomatoe with a good one from "up the country". Cool

Shocked

You spell like a president.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:46 am
dlowan wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Shocked

Get yer facts straight, girl. That ewas a vice-president -- Dan Quaile, to be precise -- who misspelled 'potatoe.' He was only a wannabe president. After that gastronomical gaffe, even his fellow Republicans wouldn't vote for him.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:47 am
dlowan wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Shocked

vice president dan quayle (VP for GW's dad) was the infamous potatoe spelling idiot

although i doubt this president would get far in a spelling bee
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:34 am
Sturgis wrote:
msolga wrote:

And therein you found what astonished me...all though in fairness it was yesterday. I became predictable. Egads!

I refuse to accept this, Sturgis!
You are pulling me leg!
Good grief, man, you have Ukrainian ancestry! You have volatile & unpredictable genes!
Life is never dull for us, nor lacking in surprises!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:47 am
Noddy24 wrote:
During the dark time of the year I wish that all surprises were pleasant.

May your entire summer be like the stealth tomato plant.

How is the Noddy24 rose?

Yes, yes, I understand the desire surprises of the only good kind, Noddy.

Thank you for your wishes for my summer. May your winter be likewise.

Noddy 24 (planted in honour of the original Noddy 24! Very Happy ) is proving surprisingly resilient. She's standing up well, considering the less than encouraging weather conditions. Mind you, I have taken good care! Is today an "odds" (street number) day. That's when my side of the street is allowed to water. (Restrictions, understandably.) Yes, because yesterday my plants (in 42 + C conditions! Shocked ) took quite a beating, but I wasn't able to water them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:51 am
dadpad wrote:

Dream on, bumpkin! :wink:

Ha!

This plant has flourished through the ministrations of my very own green fingers! Or is that hands? Confused Whichever, I take full credit! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:57 am
I now look forward to other A2Ker's surprised reportings.

And your surprises need have absolutely nothing to do with plants!

Why, they could be about your mother-in-law, your drive to work, tonight's news .......
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:18 am
hiya, msolga. Wracking my rapidly deteriorating brain trying to come up with something that surprised me.

Not much. I haven't had much appetite lately, Haven't eaten much for about ten days. I was sitting around not doing much and then I noticed something unfamiliar. Hunger. That surprised me. I ate.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:00 pm
Roberta--

Take care that your obliviousness to hunger doesn't become usual.

Running errands today, three separate cars stopped to allow me to turn on the main road from three separate side streets. We have no snow, but courteous drivers are much more welcome in December.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:14 pm
msolga wrote:
So .... any surprises or astonishments in your life today?

Big or small, it doesn't matter.

Tell! Very Happy

Well, yesterday we had a power outage lasting several hours. Lotsa fun. Y'know, peanut butter and jam sandwiches for supper type fun.

Well, we've got some flashlights, but they're the usual type that sends out a beam of light straight out. I thought to myself, "Myself, wouldn't it be a lot better if one could use a lattern type of flashlight under these circumstances?"

So, the next day the next day I go lattern flashlight shopping. Of course, it seems like half of my city's population had the same idea.

A woman just in front of me literally got the last one off the shelf in this store. I felt like arm wrestling her for it. Mad

[size=7]Hmmm, I guess this wasn't really a "surprised post", but more of a sarcastic one.

Never mind....[/size]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 04:46 am
Roberta wrote:
... I haven't had much appetite lately, Haven't eaten much for about ten days. I was sitting around not doing much and then I noticed something unfamiliar. Hunger. That surprised me. I ate.

Good, very good ....
Now repeat this daily for the next 10 days, my dear! (Dr Olga has spoken. Sternly.)
You'll feel so much better, you'll surprise yourself! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 04:51 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Running errands today, three separate cars stopped to allow me to turn on the main road from three separate side streets. We have no snow, but courteous drivers are much more welcome in December.

Courteous drivers, did you say, Noddy? Three even! Surprised
I thought they were extinct!
(Well, where I live they are, that's for certain.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What astonished, or took you quite by surprise, today?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 01:35:18