USA turn to Taliban?

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 09:03 am
*Asia Times" reported on Jun 14, 2003 (!)
US turns to the Taliban

Since their hasn't been any comment in the international papers about this, I'm glad to have found this one online:
Caving In - Guess who's appeasing the Taliban now?

Just wondering, if we will here any news about this 'rumour' this week.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 815 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:25 am
Very intersting, Walter. Thank you for posting this. I had not seen it elsewhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:39 am
Blimey.

An "exit strategy"?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:43 am
As Blackadder's mum said, when she believed she had found him in bed with a sheep, "It's not the sheep I mind so much, darling, it's the deception..."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:38 am
Seems to be "kind of true" - at least, I heard a radio reporter (from Afghanistan) saying similar today.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:32 am
Bookmark
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:42 am
Walter - i found links to the same two articles at http://www.tompaine.com/blog.cfm/ID/8172

Looks like the bloggers have been following this.

(i was there for this article -
Quote:
A Five-Year Cakewalk link
In an Associated Press article announcing the creation of an Iraqi army (reprinted by Salon.com), we find this quote:

"I don't think the American people fully appreciate just how long we are going to be committed here and what the overall cost will be," said Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., after meeting the head of the civil administration, L. Paul Bremer. "I predict as much as five years," added Richard Lugar, R-Ind., the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Is anyone else surprised to hear GOP lawmakers say this with such certainty? It's high time for the Bush administration to 'fess up that they've botched this operation entirely, and do what they should have done from the beginning. That is, first, show a little respect and humility. Then work through the United Nations, which is still willing to help clean up the mess it warned would result from this folly.
June 24, 2003 | 11:51AM
)
0 Replies