SUPPORT GENETIC RESEARCH ? SUPPORT HUMAN CLONING ?

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 11:29 pm
To my mind, the most offensive aspect of W 's filosofy
is his opposition to such genetic research
as stem cell research.

I support freedom of scientific research,
including cloning, including HUMAN cloning,
and including effecting genetic improvements
such as additional longevity n additional strength.
If its better than we r now
n we can successfully impliment the improvement,
then I am for it.

If I were going to become a parent,
I 'd be very interested in selecting
the myriad attributes of my progeny.
I regard that as being a personal right
( meaning that government has no authority to interfere ).

It is held in some quarters
that what the mind can concieve,
it can achieve.

W may have slown down progress
in genetic research n improvements,
but he cannot prevent it.

" Onward n Upward "
David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 887 • Replies: 10
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:38 am
Re: SUPPORT GENETIC RESEARCH ? SUPPORT HUMAN CLONING ?
OmSigDAVID wrote:
To my mind, the most offensive aspect of W 's filosofy
is his opposition to such genetic research
as stem cell research.

Aside from that he has no regard for human life at all!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:42 am
I support limited genetic research. I think we should pursue the ability to clone body parts and vital organs but to clone a full human isn't a good idea yet. Once the technology has improved to make cloning more stable then it should be looked at.

Should we also look toward improving the human body and mind? Super humans in the future?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:00 am
I support unlimited genetic research.

What it means to be 'human' will be fundamentally different in just a few short years. It's gotten to the point where things which once seemed crazy, now don't seem so crazy (with the advent of bio and nano and genetic therapies).

I expect to have one grandson with four arms, another with gills and a granddaughter who is adapted to zero-G.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:07 am
The only way for civilization to go forward, is with unfettered scientific inquiry. I heartily approve of genetic research.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:34 am
What do we do with the research that goes wrong? A human clone that isn't normal or sane?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:39 am
Baldimo wrote:
What do we do with the research that goes wrong? A human clone that isn't normal or sane?

First off, we should establish that 'cloning' is merely a method for making a genetic copy of a person. It uses scientific methods to bypass the traditional mother-father mixing of genes to produce a creature with the same genotype as the parent.

This doesn't change the rate of growth; so, if you cloned yourself, Baldimo, you would have a kid with the same DNA as you, but it would still take 18 years to grow up.

You sound as if you are mixing fears of genetic manipulation, nano manipulation, and biological or genetic therapy in with cloning, and they are seperate things.

Besides, we have normal and sane people now? The situation doesn't seem too different than nature to me.

CYcloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

First off, we should establish that 'cloning' is merely a method for making a genetic copy of a person. It uses scientific methods to bypass the traditional mother-father mixing of genes to produce a creature with the same genotype as the parent.

This doesn't change the rate of growth; so, if you cloned yourself, Baldimo, you would have a kid with the same DNA as you, but it would still take 18 years to grow up.

You sound as if you are mixing fears of genetic manipulation, nano manipulation, and biological or genetic therapy in with cloning, and they are seperate things.

Besides, we have normal and sane people now? The situation doesn't seem too different than nature to me.

CYcloptichorn

I know what cloning is, I'm quite the science guy beleive it or not. What I was refering to was the ability to clone someone without screwing it up. Just because they clone you doesn't mean the clone is going to come out looking like you and have the same abilities as you. For instance: you get cloned but your clone has a mental defect from the cloning process. What do you do with this retarted clone? Do you keep him and raise him or do you have it put to death because that would be the more humane thing to do.

For me it has to do with the ethics of it all. Cloning isn't perfect as of yet.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:21 pm
Bush has more concern with fertilized eggs than he does living, breathing human beings. His actions are reprehensible.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:26 pm
Embryonic stem cell research is what Bush is against, not stem cell.
There has been some successes with stem cells, nothing, zilch, nada with embryonic stem cells.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:29 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Embryonic stem cell research is what Bush is against, not stem cell.
There has been some successes with stem cells, nothing, zilch, nada with embryonic stem cells.

You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about; just parroting what you've read on right-wing sites.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies