Cassandra Chronicles: stupidity of the anti-war doomsayers

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 11:18 am
Quote:
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
The Cassandra Chronicles
The stupidity of the antiwar doomsayers.
04/21/2003, Volume 008, Issue 31

AREN'T YOU PROUD of us? For most of this past week, as an overwhelmingly successful, lightning-quick Anglo-American military assault liberated Iraq's capital city, and ordinary Baghdadis poured into the streets to kiss our GIs and stomp on pictures of Saddam Hussein, THE SCRAPBOOK has remained the soul of magnanimity and restraint.

Here in our office there's this giant archive of newsclips, transcripts, and Internet postings we collected in the months preceding the war, wherein a world community of jackasses confidently predicted that the events lately unfolding on our television screens could not and would not ever take place. And you can imagine the temptation, we're sure: A lesser SCRAPBOOK would throw open the file boxes and run through the streets with treasures like these, laughing hysterically.

"This invasion of Iraq, if it goes off, will join the Bay of Pigs, Vietnam, Desert One, Beirut, and Somalia in the history of military catastrophe. What will set it apart, distinguishing it for all time, is the immense--and transparent--political stupidity."

--Chris Matthews, San Francisco Chronicle, August 25, 2002

"Iraqis hate the United States government even more than they hate Saddam, and they are even more distrustful of America's intentions than Saddam's. . . . f President Bush thinks our invasion and occupation will go smoothly because Iraqis will welcome us, then [he] is deluding himself."

--New York Times columnist Nicholas D. Kristof, October 4, 2002

But being the soul of magnanimity and restraint, we're not going to do any such thing. Instead, THE SCRAPBOOK is going to run through the streets, laughing hysterically at all the people who were so blinded by hatred of President Bush--or general anti-Americanism, or their own sheer foolishness--that they continued to prophesy doom even after the war had begun and was already being won. People like a certain former U.N. weapons inspector turned Baath party apologist turned peace-movement celebrity:

"The United States is going to leave Iraq with its tail between its legs, defeated....We do not have the military means to take over Baghdad and for this reason I believe the defeat of the United States in this war is inevitable. . . . [W]e will not be able to win this war, which in my opinion is already lost."

--Scott Ritter, on a South African radio station, March 25, 2003

It takes all kinds, of course. You've got your late-career journalist gasbag, phoning it in from the dinner-party front lines:

"With every passing day, it is more evident that the allies made . . . gross military misjudgments. . . . The very term 'shock and awe' has a swagger to it, no doubt because it was intended to discourage Mr. Hussein and his circle. But it rings hollow now."

--New York Times "news analyst" R.W. Apple Jr., March 30, 2003

You've got your war novelist, phoning it in from his experiences in Vietnam, 30 years ago:

"Visions of cheering throngs welcoming them as liberators have vanished in the wake of a bloody engagement whose full casualties are still unknown. . . . Welcome to hell. Many of us lived it in another era. And don't expect it to get any better for a while."

--James Webb, in the New York Times, March 30, 2003

And you've got your usefully idiotic, broadcast-media war correspondent, phoning it in from wherever his Baath party minders want him to:

"The first war plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. . . . Clearly the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces. And I personally do not understand how that happened, because I've been here many times and in my commentaries on television I would tell the Americans about the determination of the Iraqi forces. . . . But me, and others who felt the same way, were not listened to by the Bush administration."

--Peter Arnett on Iraqi state television, March 30, 2003

Then there are our "allies" in Old Europe, the governments of Germany and France. Mustn't forget them:

"Gruesome days for the German foreign minister: Every morning at nine, [Joschka Fischer's] staff briefs him on the situation in Iraq in the ministry's underground situation room. His worst fears are coming true: The U.S. military appears to be stuck in its tracks in the desert, and civilian casualties are multiplying. It has never been so painful to have been in the right, murmurs the foreign minister, with a worried look on his face. . . . President Chirac accuses the Americans of having made both a strategic and a political mistake: 'They thought they would be greeted as liberators and that the regime would collapse like a house of cards. But they underestimated Iraqi patriotism. They would have been better off listening to us.'"

--Der Spiegel, March 31, 2003

This man directs the "University of Texas Inequality Project," where "our work so far has emphasized the use of Thiel's T statistic to compute inequality indexes from industrial data." In his spare time, he foretells the near-term deaths of millions:

"If history is a guide, you cannot subdue a large and hostile city except by destroying it completely. Short of massacre, we will not inherit a pacified Iraq. . . . To support 'the groundwork' for this effort is to support a holocaust, quite soon, against Iraqi civilians and also against the troops on both sides. That is what victory means."

--James K. Galbraith on the American Prospect website, April 1, 2003

Did you know that your average Iraqi fellow would much rather watch his relatives be raped or eaten by dogs than have to shake hands with an American Marine on the sidewalk?

"Regardless of their political affiliations, patriotic Iraqis prefer to bear the yoke of Saddam's brutal and corrupt dictatorship than to suffer the humiliation of living in a conquered nation. . . . The thought of infidel troops marching through their cities, past their mosques, patting them down, ordering them around, disgusts them even more than Saddam's torture chambers."

--Cartoonist and conspiracy-theory book author Ted Rall, April 2, 2003

They don't call it "conventional wisdom" for nothing. Mere days before the fall of Baghdad, one of America's newsweeklies, the "hip" one, makes a fatuous blunder for the ages:

"Cheney [down arrow] Tells 'Meet the Press' just before war, 'We will be greeted as liberators.' An arrogant blunder for the ages."

--Newsweek, April 7, 2003 edition

Mere hours before the fall of Baghdad, an English fifth columnist in the grand old tradition files an "eyewitness" report:

"Vast areas of Baghdad--astonishing when you consider the American claim to be 'in the heart' of the city--remain under Saddam Hussein's control."

--Robert Fisk in London's Independent, April 9, 2003

And finally, there are these two spectacular embarrassments, both of which are still on the newsstands, even today:

"Al-Jazeera has had reporters inside Mosul, Baghdad and Nasiriya...and they have presented a much more detailed, more realistic account of what has befallen Baghdad and Basra, as well as showing the resistance and anger of the Iraqi population, dismissed by Western propaganda as a sullen bunch waiting to throw flowers at Clint Eastwood lookalikes. . . . The idea that Iraq's population would have welcomed American forces entering the country after a terrifying aerial bombardment was always utterly implausible."

--Edward Said in the April 17, 2003, London Review of Books

"Is Wolfowitz really so ignorant of history as to believe the Iraqis would welcome us as 'their hoped-for liberators'?"

--Eric Alterman in the April 21, 2003, issue of the Nation

Here, indeed, we are witnessing some of the worst wartime (self-)destruction ever recorded in human history.

© Copyright 2006, News Corporation, Weekly Standard, All Rights Reserved.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/002/521fdfgf.asp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 613 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:07 pm
Good packet of quotes.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:16 pm
blatham, your negativity is only emboldening the terrorists. In fact, they have just become stronger as a result of this thread.
You, of all people, should know that victory is just around the corner.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:17 pm
" Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." Bushie.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:18 pm
Greenwald has been going on about this for a while -

http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/2006/12/what-rational-person-would-listen-to.html

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 01:29 pm
cyclo

One can't help but smile at the divine justice of Baker having to come in and help clean up the mess he contributed to in his role of post 2002 election Bush family consigliere. I didn't recall his support (quoted by Greenwald) for the war, but that only adds to my pleasure now. I hadn't realized he had been in quite a different camp from Scrowcroft pre-war.

Yet, this is a pretty impressive crowd of individuals and they are not the sort to set aside their integrity. They are quite correct, I think, to advise that the divisive tenor of the times can work a serious impediment on proceeding in a rational way forward from this horrid mess particularly, not even to mention everything else the government ought to be getting up to.

You all have likely been noticing how a component of the modern conservative movement is going absolutely ape-**** over this group's report. Given who makes up this component, we can pretty much guarantee that if something gets them upset, it will be good. The Fox crowd, Rush, Coulter, NY Sun, Townhall, Newsmax, Bill Bennett, AIPAC, Kristol and everyone associated with him are all into serious mouth-frothing. "Surrender" is the theme and keyword spit out.

It's an interesting thing to watch. Of course, the neoconservative folks' response here is predictable...this war was their newborn and it has now displayed its deformities and is giving rabies to everyone it bites.

But people like Rush or Coulter or Hannity or Bennett aren't neoconservatives. So what's eating them up? My thought is that they are all invested in something rather different than a concentration on the middle east...I think they see their grand hope of a continuing conservative revolution, with Bush as the new and even more extreme version of Reagan, crumbling.

The whole movement has put so much work into projecting Bush in a particular manner and what his own mouth and Iraq hasn't done to destroy that hoped-for image, the last election and now, the intercession of grownup friends of daddy has just eviscerated. What these people are now saying about James Baker (and Ed Meese, for phuck sakes!) they would also be saying about Bush Sr if he had been in this ISG or if he spoke publicly in support of it.

These folks' heads are imploding (as Alter put it last night). And that is because their ideology and their movement and their power is imploding. This is a very good turn of events in part because the whole national viewpoint is shifting and as a consequence, their extremism and the destructiveness of that extremism is becoming far more visible than previously to the population at large.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 01:33 pm
Quote:
NY Post columnist: Baker "would wash his hands in the blood of our troops"
In the December 7 New York Post, columnist Ralph Peters responded to the recommendations of the bipartisan Iraq Study Group (ISG) by comparing ISG co-chair and former Secretary of State James Baker (R) to the biblical figure Pontius Pilate, who ordered the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Peters wrote, "The difference is that Pilate just wanted to wash his hands of an annoyance, while Baker would wash his hands in the blood of our troops." Peters claimed: "Baker resembles Pontius Pilate in wanting those bedeviling local problems to go away and in imagining that, by caving in to unjust local powerbrokers, he can safeguard the empire's interests."
http://mediamatters.org/items/200612070005

The more of this, the better.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 01:53 pm
Quote:

These folks' heads are imploding (as Alter put it last night). And that is because their ideology and their movement and their power is imploding. This is a very good turn of events in part because the whole national viewpoint is shifting and as a consequence, their extremism and the destructiveness of that extremism is becoming far more visible than previously to the population at large.

Head over to RedState or The Corner for some deliciously juicy angst from Republicans - RedState in particular is spitting mad over the report.

This next year is going to be absolutely awesome. Just awesome. The entire house of cards for the Republicans is going to crumble, and I can't wait to be there to watch.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 03:50 pm
Is there a scrapbook of similar quotes by authors of less fame, like some A2K members?

(I'm not going to run through the threads, but would love to see some memorable quotes)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 04:24 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Is there a scrapbook of similar quotes by authors of less fame, like some A2K members?

(I'm not going to run through the threads, but would love to see some memorable quotes)

Damn! We miss you around here, big fella. Or, at least, I do.

There is no such compilation yet. I've thought of it - and it sure would be fun - but toooo much work for a lazy chap like myself. Hell, just Asherman alone would be pages and pages.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 04:25 pm
I'm young and strapping - let me put my nose to the grindstone.

From what I can see, it all depends on how well one knows how to use the 'search' function....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 04:29 pm
You can also dig into the first of the US/UN/Iraq threads. Or you can take the usual suspects by name and follow their posts up from the relevant point in time.
0 Replies