Robert Gates, Iran, Syria, and what we said about Iraq

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 06:27 pm
The following is from an exchange between Rumsfeld's successor Robert Gates and Democratic Senator Robert Byrd, during Gates' Senate Armed Services Committee confirmation hearing.

Note the wisdom of Gates' words. (Such a welcome relief after the flippant insanity of Rumsfeld's arrogance.)

But also note that the things Gates says about attacking Iran or Syria are pretty much exactly the things we were saying about attacking Iraq, back in 2003.

With 10,000s dead in Iraq, I'm feeling a little too bitter to be saying "better late than never".

Quote:
SEN. ROBERT BYRD (D-WV): Do you support--now we hear all these rumors about the potential for an attack on Iran, due to its nuclear weapons program, or on Syria, due to its support of terrorism. Do you support an attack on Iran?

MR. GATES: Senator Byrd, I think that military action against Iran would be an absolute last resort; that any problems that we have with Iran, our first option should be diplomacy and working with our allies to try and deal with the problems that Iran is posing to us. I think that we have seen in Iraq that once war is unleashed, it becomes unpredictable. And I think that the consequences of a conflict--a military conflict with Iran could be quite dramatic. And therefore, I would counsel against military action, except as a last resort [..].

SEN. BYRD: Do you support an attack on Syria?

MR. GATES: No, sir, I do not. [..]

SEN. BYRD: [..] Could you briefly describe your view of the likely consequences of a U.S. attack on Syria.

MR. GATES: I think the Syrian capacity to do harm to us is far more limited than that in--of Iran, but I believe that a military attack by the United States on Syria would have dramatic consequences for us throughout the Middle East in terms of our relationships with a wide range of countries in that area. I think that it would give rise to significantly greater anti-Americanism than we have seen to date. I think it would immensely complicate our relationships with virtually every country in the region. [..]

SEN. BYRD: With respect to Osama bin Laden, within eight months of taking Baghdad, our troops captured Saddam Hussein. However, five years after 9/11 and the invasion of Afghanistan, Osama bin Laden is still on the loose. Who is responsible, Dr. Gates, in your judgment, for the 9/11 attacks; Saddam Hussein or Osama bin Laden?

MR. GATES: Osama bin Laden, Senator.

SEN. BYRD: Over the past five years, who has represented the greater threat to the United States; Saddam Hussein or Osama bin Laden?

MR. GATES: Osama bin Laden.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 275 • Replies: 0
No top replies