When will Americans say "enough is enough!"

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:03 am
Any observer can see that this administration has created more problems than they have solved, beginning with the justification to go to war with Iraq. The so-called end of the war is no end at all. More of our children are getting killed almost every day. This administration has failed to solve our domestic problems, and his tax cuts will only increase our national debt while doing very little to improve our economy - "to create jobs for the American People." Afghanistan is still not resolved. Iraq is still not resolved. Osama and Saddam are still on the "want" list. Now, president Bush wants to solve the Israel crisis. It seems to me, the problems have become worse, not better in Israel since he initiated his Road Map. This Administration is now talking about Iran and Syria. Why is it that the American People cannot see how this administration is trashing our country in less than three years? c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,948 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:14 am
Re: When will Americans say "enough is enough!"
cicerone imposter wrote:
Why is it that the American People cannot see how this administration is trashing our country in less than three years? c.i.

What makes you so sure they can't?

I can see it. You obviously can see it.

I know more people who can see it than I know people who are blind to it.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:24 am
As an aged Lee Hays wisely said during the Weavers reunion concert at Carnegie Hall, "All things must eventually pass. I've had kidney stones and I know."

We just have to hope we'll survive it long enough to change it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:25 am
Frank, Simply because the latest polls still show GWBush enjoy a high rating by the majority of Americans. It's a complete mystery to me; therefore this forum. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:30 am
C.I.
Your question will be answered in o4. I am afraid you will just have to wait. I should caution you however, it may not be the answer you are looking for.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:42 am
ci

The Ameican public allowed George Bush the elder to enjoy very, very high ratings just prior to dumping him.

George Bush the elder, in fact, enjoyed higher ratings than Dubya.

The fact that he has high ratings does not mean that most Americans do not see what this administration is doing to our country -- it means that Americans tend to give their presidents high ratings in polls -- whether they intend to vote for them again or not.

I think au's comments are right on the mark. We'll know next year -- and I think you will be surprised.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:23 am
I figure they will have had enough about 5:30 eastern time.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:28 am
I would rather their collective anger reach critical mass about 1-5 days prior to Election Day, November 2004.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:48 am
We have to factor in our experience of the 2000 election, the serious doubts about the reliability of voting machines, and the amount of money we know is being raised for the election on the Republican side.

And that's not counting the amount of money we don't know about which will go not to fund the campaign but to vote buying.

There will have to be (and there has begun) an enormous effort from Bush's opponents to win in spite of these obstacles. I don't believe any of us should expect the 2004 election to be an accurate gauge of the electorate's wishes, certainly not after witnessing 2000.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:09 am
Tartarin
You seem to forget that despite all the problems with our voting systems, which by the way were nothing new. Gore had a plurality of 500,000. The election came down to one state and the ruling by the supreme court. If the people vote for the democratic candidate we will have democratic president.
I would also point out that the democrats are as capable of dirty tricks as the republicans.
To many times I have seen the same rhetoric as yours, almost expressing the view that the democrats can't win because of the anticipated fraud by the republicans. I believe that to be pure nonsense or the preparation for an excuse for the possible loss. If the public does not want Bush to get re-elected he will not be.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:13 am
I don't think we necessarily disagree, Au. What I'm saying is that elections aren't like to be indicators of voters' wishes, not entirely.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:44 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Why is it that the American People cannot see how this administration is trashing our country in less than three years? c.i.

Maybe he's scared, like I am, that the 60+ approval rating that Bush receives week in and week out bespeak a willing blindness on the part of far too many.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:48 am
My wife's co-workers agree with her that life was much better during Clinton's administration. But they all support Bush so far.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:17 am
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Maybe he's scared, like I am, that the 60+ approval rating that Bush receives week in and week out bespeak a willing blindness on the part of far too many.

Could be!

But I also wrote:

Quote:

The Ameican public allowed George Bush the elder to enjoy very, very high ratings just prior to dumping him.

George Bush the elder, in fact, enjoyed higher ratings than Dubya.

The fact that he has high ratings does not mean that most Americans do not see what this administration is doing to our country -- it means that Americans tend to give their presidents high ratings in polls -- whether they intend to vote for them again or not.

I think au's comments are right on the mark. We'll know next year -- and I think you will be surprised.

I suggest we all keep that in mind.

Bush is no shoo-in! I will also readily acknowledge that the Republicans are doing a bang-up job of courting normally Democratic constitutencies. But I think this administrations faults are too obvious -- and I think Bush will be thrown out just like his father.

We'll see.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:32 am
Frank, Help this old man out; how many plusses did Bush senior have that gave him such a high approval rating before the country dumped him in the elections? All I can remember now is Gulf War I. Bush junior has so many negatives on his plate, I don't understand why he should enjoy over fifty percent approval rating. That's the mystery I'm confronted with. c.i.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:12 am
Bush the Elder always sported an impressive resume', c.i.; Congressman, Senatorial candidate, ambassador to China, CIA director, Vice President.

He was seen as a heavyweight in terms of foreign policy experience going all the way back to his primary contests against Reagan in the late '70s. He was never as shrill and harsh as the hardliners in his party (and they never forgave him for it, either).

He was real fighter pilot in a real War, which always looked good on his resume' as well, especially compared with those he ran against.

He was mocked repeatedly for his mangled syntax and he was undone, as we all know, by his inability to emphasize with those who suffered in the economy which resulted from the gaping budget deficits his supervisor created.

Sound familiar?

Dubya is going to die the same political death of a thousand cuts, at the very least, between now and Election Day.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:10 pm
PDid, Thanks for reminding me about Bush senior's accomplishments. Your mention of them did bring back the memories. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:11 pm
BTW, I think Bush senior made another big mistake; his "read my lips" speech. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:12 pm
Unfortunately, we're not dealing with a campaign of beliefs and values but rather one in which money buys persuasion -- sometimes "hidden persuasion." It's insane (I think) to amble along believing that polls or even the votes themselves will tell us what kind of real support Bush has. Bush in not only an incumbent and a "wartime president" (ha!), but he's literally in a position to buy the 2004 election, no question about it (and they say he's running a bit scared which is why they've set the funding needed so high). Nor can we dismiss the possibility of an "event" which would draw votes away from the opposition.

What the opposition finally has is a fire in its belly, and the power of that fire is what will be tested in 2004.

What were Clinton's favorable ratings during the Starr attack? Am I right in thinking than they continue quite high, higher even than either Bush in the third year in office? Anyone remember? Think I posted something about that a ways back and have forgotten!!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:17 pm
Clinton's popularity poll numbers were higher--70%--the day after impeachment than Dubya's have been at any time during the Iraq war (67%).
0 Replies