the word "asinine" - little help please

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:19 pm
I wrote a paper in my English class and when I got it back for revision (it was edited by fellow students) they told me to use "maybe another, more literate term" instead of 'asinine'.

This was the sentence: "For those of us with an asinine amount of music...."

I was under the imperssion that asinine meant something along the lines of 'ridiculous.'

And when I asked my professor, she said "Are you sure you spelled it right?" "Maybe use something like 'wicked' instead."

Am I wrong here!?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:21 pm
Main Entry: as·i·nine
Pronunciation: 'a-s&-"nIn
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin asininus, from asinus ass
1 : extremely or utterly foolish <an>
2 : of, relating to, or resembling an ass

I supose you could use that word, although it doesn't seem to fit really IMO. But if you meant a "ridiculous amount of music" according to M-W, technically you're right.
0 Replies

mycdplayerisbroke

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:22 pm
What other word should I use instead then?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:23 pm
Wrong word for that sentence.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:25 pm
mycdplayerisbroke wrote:
What other word should I use instead then?

How about ridiculous? or "for those of us with a vast music collection...." or something like that.

Asinine has a negative conotation. Like, "That is the most asinine thing you've ever said..."
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:26 pm
Ungodly might work well.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:26 pm
No, wrong word to use in a submission to that asinine teacher. The word is perfectly fine in context as employed, the teacherr's attritude - and perhaps the teacher's erudition - could stand broadening.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:29 pm
I believe it was the students who made that verdict, timber.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:35 pm
Now, if I'd written that sentence, it prolly wouldagone something like " ... for those of us with an absolutely asinine amount of downloaded digital ditties ... " Mr. Green
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:07 pm
To my mind "asinine" is once-trendy bit of slang usually modifying a person or an action.

I'm not sure that any amount of music can be compared to a beast of burden.

"Asinine amount of music" doesn't automatically advance my notion of how much music you have in or out of that sentence.

I believe your intention is to poke fun at yourself, but by dragging your acquisitive nature, hooves first, into the discussion you weaken the thrust of your narrative.

Consider: "A jack-assy amount of music". A hooved animal of any derivation doesn't fly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:48 pm
Then there was the person whose sister was attacked by insects. To save money on the telegraph, she wrote her parents; "Adamant bitter asinine places."

Sorry for the digression.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:54 pm
There is a word that conveys the idea of an absurd amount as well as having the word ass in it.

Assload.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:05 pm
I don't think mycdplayerisbroke's use of the word 'asinine' is wrong... but then I'm famous to myself and others for playing with words from time to time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:48 pm
I don't say "wrong". I say "ungraceful".
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 10:44 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
There is a word that conveys the idea of an absurd amount as well as having the word ass in it.

Assload.

Great word.
0 Replies