Just what is toboggan?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:29 pm
I've lived in Canada nearly 50 years.

Never heard any kind of hat referred to as a toboggan.

Set musta been listening to some Muricans talking. They're all over the place .

Confused
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 10:42 pm
Setanta: I'm not a laddie. There can be no greater height of arrogance than to tell me that i'm ill-informed when i simply note that i have heard the usage in Canada.

No, I don't think that you've reached that august level. You're acting like a petulant two year old.

Now if you want to claim that "toque" is the only Canadian usage, you're going to have to be able to dismiss "tuque" as a common usage,

Do you ever read anything, Set, anything at all? I stated clearly;

"Of course there are different spellings. There are almost certainly different pronunciations as French is a different language than English."

Setanta: ... and you're still left with proving your claim that "toboggan" is never used in Canada to describe a hat.

I said, from the get go;

" ... but I'd be mighty surprised if you have ever heard a 'toque' referred to as a toboggan in Canada",

clearly allowing that I could be wrong. Canada's a big country and there could be some such use somewhere.

EhBeth has never heard of such a use and neither have I and with a combined total of something very near a century of Canadian life, I think it's quite likely that we would have heard of such a departure from the norm.

Setanta:
EDIT: You can keep running your mouth--but you aren't going to get me to play your stupid game. If you want to run out and find proof for your claim, help yourself--but you're an idiot if you think you can force me to run around and find references for you just because you take yet another opportunity to atttack me because of your puerile obsession. Have fun, Bubba.

Set, you can sure get yourself all twisted up right quick.

Setanta, chiding someone in the thread,

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87126&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=160

Setanta wrote:
It is actually quite a simple matter to go online and do some "quote mining" for [whatever you want]...

So instead of acting civil and allowing that you might have been mistaken, or actually doing a bit of research, as you strenuously advise others to do, you pull the same old same old cantankerous Setanta tricks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:56 pm
I don't know the history behind this antagonism and don't want to check it out.

This is about hats, init?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:03 am
Naw, suicide sleds.

http://gallery.rei.com/media/705253_9996Prd.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:12 am
Actually, it is about hats. JTT would like to make it about himself, and his puerile ego--but it ain't.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:23 am
Hats are boring. If ya ain't got a thick, woolly covering of yer own, you don't deserve a warm head.

It should be about sleds.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:26 am
I agree with you point about a thick, wooly covering--that i have, and i never, ever wear hats.

Of course, i'm not likely to be found on a toboggan these days, either, but that's another story.
0 Replies