Naive americans

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:49 pm
Builder wrote:
I'm with Setanta. The current approval rates for the Bush-Cheney admin back the figures she/he presented.

set's a she/he Shocked

do you suppose ehbeth knows Very Happy
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:51 pm
Builder

There's two creatures in set's avatar. Maybe that's what's throwing you off?

Btw, djjj, love that song in your sig line.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 11:55 pm
Cyracuz wrote: (in terms of dissen Americans being productive):

Quote:
Yeah.. I thought so too.

Now that surprises me. You know, in terms of how you're so interested in respecting everyone's different perception of reality and duality, etc., etc.

Laughing

But one thing this discussion has made me think about is productivity. And if the whole world pretty much is in disagreement with American policy, at what point does protest or expressed disagreement need to turn into positive action. Obviously disagreeing and "dissen" aren't having any productive effect. So at what point does a person, or country, or group of countries feel it incumbent to actually take positive and productive action? And if they never do-what right to they have to continue to complain from their removed and superior perches?

I guess I'm asking when (after nearly five years of "dissen" Americans, does the rest of the world say, "Enough whining- now this is what we're going to do about the situation".
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 11:57 pm
Not sure if this is acceptable here, but I'm replying in orange text.

aidan wrote:
Builder wrote:

Quote:
On your former statement, why is criticism of the admin of America not freedom of speech, but slander? The government is for the people, by the people, and if it isn't, then why not? Read some of the following link. It is neither kook-driven agenda-based slander, nor is it based on hearsay. The links within that link are to sites from major periodicals and news sources.

It's not simple criticism of the administration.

I believe it is criticism. It's not like we are calling for an impeachment.

This is an accusation of mass murder.

And that surprises you? A former US admin planned to murder US citizens to forward their march south into Cuba. Remember?

That's slightly different in my book than simple criticism of an administration , which I agree is politics as usual and the right of every citizen in a democracy.

Where there is smoke there is fire. We have dodgy "professionals" handing down dodgy "denials" of fact, in the face of the greatest controversial attack on American soil. The people want answers. They aren't getting anything but old boys patting themselves on the back, and an admin that selects who can attend "public" press meetings with the president. Oh, did I mention that those priveliged souls who get to attend, must sign a waiver stating that they won't heckle the president?

I admit I haven't read the links yet, but I will.

I sincerely hope you take the time to read most of them. You might then not wonder why the doubters are numbering more than the patriots.

Yet, I still say that unless there is some smoking gun or preponderance of evidence, or until charges are brought against George Bush and his administration based on some probable cause to indict them of something- to engage in speculation and to accuse these people of mass murder goes beyond free speech and enters the realm of slander and libel.

Nice words, and admirably patriotic, but when the admin refuses to cede to the will of the people, in creating a proper investigation into the farcical non-investigation into 9-11, the voice of dissent will only grow louder and louder.

Quote:
You might get some insight into why non-Americans are looking at Americans with distrust and thinking of them as either naive, or simply too entrenched in believing their own news sources to the exclusion of other's.

This is almost exactly what I said in my first post on this thread-that Americans have an insular attitude that manifests itself in their ability to take what they need and want, and believe whatever they must believe, so that they will feel justified in doing what they have to do to get what they need or want-no matter what the cost to the rest of the world.

A lot of Australians are insular, but if they get the slightest whiff of a stink in our admin, party loyalty goes out the window, as it rightly should, and the noise and clamour continues until heads roll. That is democracy for the people. What you have at the moment in the US of A is far from what your forebears created for you in the constitution.

It's a very convenient ability to manipulate and deny-and it has very little to do with being stupid or naive-in fact I think it indicates pretty much the opposite of those two characteristics.
(And I'm including myself in this. I have to admit I'm pretty good at seeing things the way I'd like them to be when I need or want something-although so are most people-so maybe it's not only Americans we should be talking about Laughing

Agreed. Australians want to pay off their mortgages, and provide for their children. If something happens to negatively affect that, then Aussies come out fighting. No party preference will get in the way of that.

. Speaking of sheep, lemmings and humans, what is anyone else doing to make any of it change?)

I'm just trying to raise the awareness levels of certain individuals who would prefer to maintain the status quo, and pretend that nothing underhanded is happening. If I help just one other to realise the duping they are experiencing, then I'm happy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:22 am
I believe it is a fundamental error to assume that assumed international distaste for America and Americans is mostly a result of the supposedly inept policies of our current Administration (whether you buy this assessment of it or not).

We are alone at the top of the heap right now. Envy, back-biting, and ingratitude are much more determiners of public attitudes than are memories of past challenges successfully met together and past favors rendered. This is particularly the case with Europeans.

Chancellor Schroeder of Germany wasted very little time and energy over contemplation of the assistance the U.S. provided in achieving German unity, even as the Soviet Empire collapsed. This was but a fairly compact, and perhaps more vivid, encapsulation of a larger phenominon visible across the continent, particularly in Western Europe. Attitudes are a bit different in Central Europe, Australia and South Asia.

Even the contemporary list of supposed blunders by the current Administration is utterly pale compared to the sad, even gruesome history of the European Powers from 1914 right through Suez, the French colonial wars in North Africa and Syria, and their subsequent coasting in the shade of American power during the Cold War.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:43 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe it is a fundamental error to assume that assumed international distaste for America and Americans is mostly a result of the supposedly inept policies of our current Administration (whether you buy this assessment of it or not).

Agreed. It goes back about five admins now. Distrust is growing, and your foreign policies, and your doyens, are dismally inadequite in stemming the flow. I thought Madeline Albright was pathetic in her statement to Iran about US meddling in their political structure, but Condy Rice is laughable.

georgeob1 wrote:
We are alone at the top of the heap right now.

You're in the dumpster right about now. The UK is heading home, and the Aussies won't be there much longer either. So yeah, I guess you guys are at the top of the heap at the local rubbish tip. Everyone is keen to drop your admin flat on its collective face right about now. Oh, but Jordan is still in your pocket. Didn't all the 9-11 pilots come from Jordan? Shocked

georgeob1 wrote:
Envy, back-biting, and ingratitude are much more determiners of public attitudes than are memories of past challenges successfully met together and past favors rendered.

I haven't met a single Aussie soldier who has anything good to say about the US forces. I see that US collateral damage still accounts for more deaths of allies than warfare.

georgeob1 wrote:
This is particularly the case with Europeans.

Memories of "past challenges"? Like what exactly?

georgeob1 wrote:
Chancellor Schroeder of Germany wasted very little time and energy over contemplation of the assistance the U.S. provided in achieving German unity, even as the Soviet Empire collapsed.

What was in it for the US admin at that time?

georgeob1 wrote:
This was but a fairly compact, and perhaps more vivid, encapsulation of a larger phenominon visible across the continent, particularly in Western Europe.

Like in France? Can you expand on that sentence please?

georgeob1 wrote:
Attitudes are a bit different in Central Europe, Australia and South Asia.

So they should be. Not one country that I know of, wants to emulate America.

georgeob1 wrote:
Even the contemporary list of supposed blunders by the current Administration is utterly pale compared to the sad, even gruesome history of the European Powers from 1914 right through Suez, the French colonial wars in North Africa and Syria, and their subsequent coasting in the shade of American power during the Cold War.

Comparisons are odious and obvious. When your admin does something for any other reason than personal profit, the rest of the rational world might sit up and take notice.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:52 am
Quote:
Comparisons are odious and obvious. When your admin does something for any other reason that personal profit, the rest of the rational world might sit up and take notice.

Builder- I'm wondering why so many world governments who disagree with America's stance on this war, which is killing tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis, are not enacting measures like economic sanctions to voice their abhorrence in a way that might actually register (perhaps in a small way, but in a way never the less that would hit home more concretely).
And if people/world governments really believe this government is responsible for the death of 3,000 of it's own innocent citizens, how can they with any self-respect at all, continue to profit from business and protection or any kind of a relationship- unless they're as naive or stupid or selfish as America and Americans?

I think it's because they can't afford to. And I think it's exactly for the reasons Georgeob1 stated.
But that just highlights the way in which governments ( and people) all over the world are not so very different from each other- economics is usually the bottom line of any issue.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:06 am
I'll use the orange pencil again.

aidan wrote:
Quote:
Comparisons are odious and obvious. When your admin does something for any other reason that personal profit, the rest of the rational world might sit up and take notice.

Builder- I'm wondering why so many world governments who disagree with America's stance on this war, which is killing tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis, are not enacting measures like economic sanctions to voice their abhorrence in a way that might actually register (perhaps in a small way, but in a way never the less that would hit home more concretely).

I'm wondering what sanctions would be effective. The AWB (Australian Wheat Board) just got their collective arse kicked over bribes to Saddam for wheat sales.

And if people/world governments really believe this government is responsible for the death of 3,000 of it's own innocent citizens, how can they with any self-respect at all, continue to profit from business and protection or any kind of a relationship- unless they're as naive or stupid or selfish as America and Americans?

I'm guessing when I say that pride is a big part of this ruse. When a nation is lead to believe that they are at the top of the pile, it's very difficult, even for those lower down the food chain, to relent and fess up that they are no more or less evil than the rest of the plebs.

I think it's because they can't afford to.

Or, the admins of the other countries accept the ruse as being part of business as usual.

And I think it's exactly for the reasons Georgeob1 stated.
But that just highlights the way in which governments ( and people) all over the world are not so very different from each other- economics is usually the bottom line of any issue.

So, do you have a conceptual fantasy about economics being holistic and pure?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:05 am
Quote:

I have to admit that economics isn't a subject I've ever fantasized much about- so no- no conceptually pure and holistic concepts there-unless you're talking about economists like Muhammad Yunus -and then yes, I guess you could call his approach to economics "holistic" if not pure-certainly more inspiring than most.

Did I really sound as if I have fantasies about world leaders (especially GB) as being holistic and pure? Shocked If so, that's not even close to what I believe- I just find it hard to believe that he could be a mass murderer. In my mind there's a pretty big disconnect between someone being into politics and power as usual and indulging in megalomania and murder. I try to give credit where credit is due- and as much as I disagree with much that's he done-GB just doesn't strike me as a mass murdering type of personality.
I'm the first to admit though, that I could always be rationalizing or in denial and dead wrong-mainly because I truly don't want to believe someone who's running our country could be so evil.

*I find that orange hard to read against the white background by the way- so if you respond to this, and want to use color - how about using the red or blue pencil? Laughing
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:14 am
Builder wrote:
I'm with Setanta. The current approval rates for the Bush-Cheney admin back the figures she/he presented.

Like many thinking people in Australia, Americans are under the pump to simply make ends meet in their own households. The widening gap between the wealthy and the middle-class is part of the equation.

Politics takes a back seat to personal/family survival.

Is there any hard facts to back the statement that there is a growing gap between middle and upper class? I always hear it said, but no one ever provides the facts to back the statement.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
aidan wrote:
Now that surprises me. You know, in terms of how you're so interested in respecting everyone's different perception of reality and duality, etc., etc.

Well, I wasn't entirely serious when I made the remark you replied to. I guess there are naive and dumb americans, but there are many americans who are not as well. Some great stuff comes out of that country too once in a while. Blues, for instance...
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:41 pm
aidan wrote:
Quote:

I have to admit that economics isn't a subject I've ever fantasized much about- so no- no conceptually pure and holistic concepts there-unless you're talking about economists like Muhammad Yunus -and then yes, I guess you could call his approach to economics "holistic" if not pure-certainly more inspiring than most.

Did I really sound as if I have fantasies about world leaders (especially GB) as being holistic and pure? Shocked If so, that's not even close to what I believe- I just find it hard to believe that he could be a mass murderer. In my mind there's a pretty big disconnect between someone being into politics and power as usual and indulging in megalomania and murder. I try to give credit where credit is due- and as much as I disagree with much that's he done-GB just doesn't strike me as a mass murdering type of personality.
I'm the first to admit though, that I could always be rationalizing or in denial and dead wrong-mainly because I truly don't want to believe someone who's running our country could be so evil.

*I find that orange hard to read against the white background by the way- so if you respond to this, and want to use color - how about using the red or blue pencil? Laughing

I should just use the usual pencil, but I get lazy at times. It backfired on me because I have to manually insert the tags. :wink:

In all honesty, I don't know what to believe about the current US admin.

I saw your VP visit our humble country recently. Cops from all over the shop were recruited to shadow his convoy from the airport to his destination. It looked for all the world like a funeral procession, except for the flashing lights and guns. I don't think the Queen or the Pope gets such attention here.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:44 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Builder wrote:

Like many thinking people in Australia, Americans are under the pump to simply make ends meet in their own households. The widening gap between the wealthy and the middle-class is part of the equation.

Politics takes a back seat to personal/family survival.

Is there any hard facts to back the statement that there is a growing gap between middle and upper class? I always hear it said, but no one ever provides the facts to back the statement.

This knucker site is a start, but the concept is not new.

http://www.growinggap.ca/
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 02:57 am
Quote:
I saw your VP visit our humble country recently. Cops from all over the shop were recruited to shadow his convoy from the airport to his destination. It looked for all the world like a funeral procession, except for the flashing lights and guns. I don't think the Queen or the Pope gets such attention here.

This is exactly the kind of treatment that results in the heads of governments (especially in the US) getting the message that there is at least tacit approval from the rest of the world for their administration, or if not that (if there were vocal protestors along the route for example- were there?) the mistaken idea that they are somehow more deserving or worthy than other human beings- which feeds into all the megalomania and results in the belief maybe that they are not answerable for their decisions and stances as most normal people are- which allows them to conceptualize actions such as the war in Iraq or arms and training to budding Al Quaedas (sp?), or God forbid, complicity in the 9/11 attack which would serve their purposes in moving things along in the direction in which they wanted them to be moved.

As you said, if someone like Dick Cheney gets more attention than the Pope and the Queen, how's he supposed to ever get the message that he's nothing more than a public servant who is perceived by the world to be the second man in an administration that is seen as being corrupt, evil and/or bumbling?

Do you see how there are some mixed messages being given here? You can't really blame Americans (government and/or people) for choosing the more flattering message as the one they'd like to adopt or believe.

And an economic sanction, while having no real economic effect, would at least be a formal and concrete notification by the rest of the world that they were united in their censorious attitude at what was continuing to take place under the supposed "auspices" of the American government.
If there's complaint about someone or something, but the complainers are still willing to lick the boots of those about whom they are complaining-how is that object of complaint supposed to take any of the complainers or complaints seriously?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:55 pm
aidan wrote:

As you said, if someone like Dick Cheney gets more attention than the Pope and the Queen, how's he supposed to ever get the message that he's nothing more than a public servant who is perceived by the world to be the second man in an administration that is seen as being corrupt, evil and/or bumbling?

Do you see how there are some mixed messages being given here? You can't really blame Americans (government and/or people) for choosing the more flattering message as the one they'd like to adopt or believe.

Cheney was not even visible in the dozen or so unmarked cars in that police convoy, so he more likely travelled incognito. Such is his fear and the public backlash he has created for himself.

I like your analogy that he's nothing more than a public servant. Politicians of all persuasions and nationalities need to be told this. They aren't royalty, and they aren't all-powerful, as our current Australian leader once claimed to be.

I found this quote on another board, and I think it's apt for this thread.

The President is merely the most important among a large number of
public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the
degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his
efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested
service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary
that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts,
and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does
wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an
American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must
be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the
President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth
should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more
important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than
about any one else."

"Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star", 149
May 7, 1918

http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/quotes.htm
Quote:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:36 am
On the subject of "smarts" of the American People, it's obvious from the fact that over 50 percent of Americans still think al Qaida had something to do with 9-11. Whether it was 20 or 25 percent who voted for Bush, the topic of this thread is still germane.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:54 am
Re: Naive americans
jnkie wrote:
I wanted to make the subject line : Stupid Americans. But decided against it, because I don't want this thread to be seen as petty or spiteful.

Before I go further I should make it clear that I am well aware of the fact that 49% of Americans did not vote for George W. Bush. But that still leaves 51% who have some serious explaining to do. This post is not going to focus on just how dumb your leader is (enough has been said on that topic). Instead I want to focus on some of the lies that America is holding up as the truth.

The first one is propably one of the most controversial lies ever. The story goes that your government attacked itself on 9/11. Now initially I also thought that this was as absurd a notion as you could ever get. But then I watched TerrorStorm and my opinion changed immediately. If this is true (and I believe it is), then it would not be the first time something like this has happened. They call it False Flagging in the documentary (which you can watch on YouTube). The reason the government is getting away with it is because it so wholly unbelievable and also because your government is slowly taking away your right to free speech. Did you realize this? You are not allowed to speak your mind anymore. If someone dares question what happened they are immediately marked as crazy (Charlie Sheen?).

Has it occurred to you that perhaps you are? If not crazy, perhaps at least not too bright?
0 Replies