THE ONE RELATIONSHIP

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 03:50 am
THE ONE RELATIONSHIP

I had a simple thought this evening. But, in its simplicity, and possibility because of it, I found a much deeper truth. We often think of ourselves as existing in a world that is built and structured around our relationships with others. We have varied sexual, social business, academic and other sundry relationships and upon these relationships we attempt to gauge our success and fortunes. Many a person has gone to great length to suggest ways in which relationships are to be carried out and go on to postulate that if all relational interactions were of a harmonious nature that war and pestilence would falter and cease to be a scourge among men. We discuss appropriate methods to converse with others, we go to great lengths to enumerate the steps that are necessary to establish and maintain positive and productive relationships with others. We name friends and may well go on to distinctly differentiate between those persons with whom we have mere social contact and others who we hold dear to our hearts. It is a common thought and a common practice. It is neither right nor wrong it is simply the state of our reflections.

I had watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind" again tonight and was consumed with John Nash's struggle to overcome his psychological difficulties. I have a graduate degree in psychology and understood some of the ramifications of being a schizophrenic and the torment that accompanies it. Relationships came to mind for some reason and as I watched I realized that he not only had to stabilize his relationship with his wife, family and past friends, he also had to establish a relationship with his tormenting delusions. A tenuous association between the real and the unreal, which gave me pause to consider a more important issue in the realm of our associations. A focal point that overshadows any other relationship we may have and a relationship that molds and shapes all other relationships. It is that relationship we have with our selves. That friendship and caring we hold for our own spirits. If we fail to have trust in our relationship with our own spirits, how can we ever fully present ourselves honestly in a relationship with others? If we possess a fragile faith in our ability to survive and overcome, because we lack trust in our abilities, how can we ever reach outward to form a substantial bond with others? If we have no love of ourselves, how then can we judge the strength of our love for our fellow man? If we deal with our own emotions on a shallow level and disregard those feelings that may cause us pain, how can we honestly and accurately give to others around us the full measure they deserve? It is one thing to do good works and quite another to come to full understanding and belief that in doing good things that we are a good person. At some moment in our lives we must come to trust in ourselves and have a belief that we are competent and capable people. If not, that lack of trust in ourselves will surely taint our interactions with others. We must strive to establish a loving and supportive relationship with our own spirits in order to free ourselves to reach out beyond our person and provide comfort to those we come in contact with. Before we can talk openly with others, we must first be honest with ourselves. Can we not entertain the thought that fear may well be the outcome of some faulty faith in ourselves and a lack of understanding in our own abilities; A relationship between our minds and our spirits that is lacking in substance.

A simple thought but an understanding that I must first strengthen my relationship with my own spirit and learn to love and respect myself before I can truly offer those emotions to others.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,726 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 05:11 pm
That is a very interesting post morganwood. I have been sorting through the rubble of my latest collapsed relationship and have been thinking along those same lines.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 12:54 am
At last a response!!

Thank you very much!
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:46 am
I read your statement with great interest, Morganwood.

I agree with it... mostly. Yet, I feel that "knowing myself" is exaggerated by most psychologists. As far as being in touch with my own spirit, and loving myself- that seems to have been inborn. (In me, anyway).
Possibly, because we ALL must bear repressed feelings (it is part of life, as you know)- there are times we have recurrance of these feelings on a subconscious level- and I believe they effect our behavior.
All of a sudden, I might ask myself, "Dear God, did I REALLY say that?"
And I realize it is a 'personal belief' I was in denial about, likely repressed in many conversations past, for being unpopular. (Today, they call it 'politically or not politically correct Rolling Eyes )

On the whole, we seem to have GOOD relationships with those around us, as we respect and love ourselves- and become tolerant of human traits- helping us to love and respect others as well. But I don't think we all guage our success on these WIDER relationships. People generally guage success by the amount of wealth and power they amass. Then again, both mine and your statements are probably right- as there are all kinds in this world.

I really enjoyed the movie about John Nash- and I have had no less than THREE close friendships with persons diagnosed eventually with Paranoid Schizophrenia. Their delusions were about the same as Nash's, except one friend... one I had known from young childhood. His delusions almost led to murder. This was so SHOCKING to me, knowing his sweetness, his good upbringing, and gentle mother.

As far as men being "good"?? I think 'good intentions' spells it out better. Very Happy
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, and allowing us to share ours.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:02 am
I sometimes wonder if it can be summed up in one question: "Would you want to be married to yourself?"
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:52 am
I've never thought of it that way, cav, but I understand Morganwood's struggle, and know that what happens inside can be masked and hidden from others so they don't suffer right along with us.

Unfortunately it doesn't leave much energy for the give and take in a marriage when the struggles get overwhelming. I've learned to talk to my husband when the anxiety starts to make me agitated, and I've learned to back off and take care of myself by exercising, taking hot baths and reading to put life into a more positive perspective.

The other day, the subject of living with me came up, and my husband, who is a gentle and honorable person, answered "it's been good" .

So I think living as me is harder than living with me.

Morganwood, you seem to be struggling hard right now. Please come back and talk to us more.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:21 pm
I am sorry not to have responded. Somehow the "Watch this topic" link keeps getting unchecked. I'll check it again. I'll check it again.

Yes, I had a hard period there and I had sort of gotten to thje point that I couldn't muster the energy to look at others or deal with others. I watched the movie and sobed. But, it suddenly struck me that I needed to help myself or just say kind things to myself and realize that I indeed was a reasonable, if not nice, person. I had some bleak thoughts at the moment. For those of you that have read previous posts from Abuzz, I mowed all day sunday. It is my carthartic activity. Hard to imagine a 57 year-old man mowing his 3 acres and crying most of the time. I wrestled with my mind and entertained whatever thought came to mind. I thought of having lived in foster homes most of my childhood and the phrase "What insult did I cause within the womb to be set aside a child of whom?" Well, thoughts come and go. The quiet sedate activity and drone of the motor was what I needed to find something in myself that allowed a smile to form. At mowings end, I had intended to write this dark piece that was to enter and shed light upon my wounded soul. To that end, it was difficult to write with a smile on my face. I simply e-mailed my wife (who is out of town) and told her how much I loved her and how I missed her. Again, I'm not sure any of you are familiar with my mowing pieces. I could re-post them here but too many members have already seen them. If you have any intwerest in my romance with my lawn mower, you'll just have to go to Abuzz.com and check out the posts.
For all of you, thankyou for responding to my post!
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:29 pm
If you do take the time to look at past posts, be warned that there is some dark **** in them. I've grown and a lot of that has passed and I now only occasionally flirt with those demons. It's been a long 3-year sojourn to the light!
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 07:26 am
I am familiar with your writing from Abuzz, Morganwood and I know what happened to you. It's a past that would destroy most people. You must miss your wife a lot, I hope she comes home soon.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:34 pm
I just returned from spending 5 days with her in Virginia (Outside of Washington). She may go to an assignment in New York or remain in the DC area for a couple of months.

Had a great time. (sorry to responmd 4 days late. Priorities, ya know!!!)
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:42 am
cavfancier wrote:
I sometimes wonder if it can be summed up in one question: "Would you want to be married to yourself?"

You are married to yourself, by virtue of the fact, that while you're alive, your body is married to your soul. At death, the soul divorces the body and goes on it's "merry" way!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:52 am
The one relationship thats most helpfull is a positive one with yourself.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:48 pm
The ONE relationship - boy that phrase brings out all kinds of interpretation! I was thinking of one of the meanings, just last night as I drove thru the night in a long road trip, alone. I'm enjoying more the one relationship with myself and have actually spent most of the trip with the radio off so that I could reallly explore the thoughts that came and lingered and cried out for deep thinking. Even wondering if I might be a writer yet one day. Then, who would want to read my story of sitting up at a rest area along I35 North, just out of Austin, and reading my book while the birds overhead flocked and chattered, sang and in symphony I heard Nature wilth a capital N?

On the other hand, if there is a ONE who you are invested in to the exclusion of others, it is a most up and down journey, for growing together, or growing at the same time, or growing at all in similar patterns - what a trick to do and remain the ONE for each other. Long ago I decided that having a ONE was not something to just dream of or cross off as unattainable. DECIDING what your ONE is - now that is a most interesting tangental though to me after reading these posts.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 02:26 pm
Some how, "Watch this topic" keeps getting unchecked. It's happened several times. Do I need to accept all thje cookies to keep it checked?

cobalt, your thoughts while driving are exactly what my "Mowing" is all about!! I love interstate driving for just that reason also. Sometimes I get so lost in thought that I'm startled by a sign, or something, and realize that I wasn't aware thst I was driving.

Like the thought New Haven!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 02:31 pm
morganwood wrote:
Some how, "Watch this topic" keeps getting unchecked. It's happened several times. Do I need to accept all thje cookies to keep it checked?

Known Issues
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 08:51 pm
Thanks Craven!
0 Replies