Isolationism:A Good Thing?

Baldimo

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 02:12 pm
nimh wrote:
The United States Department of Agriculture website Production, Supply and Distribution Online has tons of data about global and US agricultural production.

Just click on the little +'s to the left of individual products in the list under "Reports (Listed by Category)".

For example:

• The United States in 2006 produced 11,897 thousand metric tons of beef and veal. That was 22.2% of the global production (53,511).
  • The United States in 2006 produced 9,543 thousand metric tons of pork. That was 9.6% of the global production (99,776).
  • The United States in 2005/2006 produced 95.53 million metric tons of oilseeds (mostly soybeans). That was 24.6% of the global production (388.30).
  • The United States in 2006 produced 16,162 thousand metric tons of broiler (poultry). That was 26.9% of the global production (60,090).
  • The United States in 2005/2006 produced 6,713 thousand metric tons of sugar. That was 4.6% of the global production (144,709).

Is this also accounting for all foods, or only those that are grown?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 04:38 pm
What do you mean?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 04:48 pm
nimh wrote:
What do you mean?

Well look at the different types of food that are made here in the US. We export many of those to different places across the world. I'm talking about processed foods as well as unprocessed foods.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 05:00 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
As I said, I read it in a local publication & they quoted USDA.
i don't know for sure what the percentage is, but we're not called the worlds bread basket for nothing. I'm sure if you read all of the links, etc, you did see that, right?

Are you serious?

You do know for sure what a couple of related percentages are, because I just looked up the data for you, straight from the website of your own Government's Department of Agriculture.

They refute the number that you quoted, saying the US produces 63% of the world food supply. If the US only produces between 4% and 27% of a range of the world's staple foodstuffs - including, by the way, the category that includes soybeans, which you had highlighted before as a specific US production strength - then no way it could still produce 63% of the total world food supply.

But you want us to shrug all those specific, detailed data from your own government off along with you, on the basis that you remember a story in a local newspaper saying the total opposite and quoting the USDA? Although you cant yourself actually find that data back either on the USDA site or elsewhere? (No, the first 20 links on Google with the search term you suggested provide no such information.)

Or do you want us to shrug off those comparative government data because, well, over there you colloquially refer to the US as "the world's breadbasket"? We don't. You can call yourself whatever you want, but it doesnt prove much. The Russians used to call their Black earth and Volga regions the world's bread basket. More power to them, but all I care about is what the data say. And they show the US producing 20% or less of the world's total grains, with even the top number within that category(41%) falling far short of your 63%.

Whether one looks at the National Academy of Sciences or the United States Department of Agriculture as a verifiable source, the data seem to directly contradict your claim. But you insist that we believe what you remember a local newspaper saying, instead?

I'm just kind of stunned that someone would believe that the US produces 63% of the world food supply in the first place. That implies a pretty warped perception of the world.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 05:04 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Well look at the different types of food that are made here in the US.

I just did look at a range of most consumed foodstuffs. Grain, rice, meat, sugar - if you look at world production, those are some of the major bulk stuffs. If across those categories the US produce in the range of 4%-27% (2%-41% if you count subcategories), then no matter how much strawberry jam, chocolate bars or peppermint you produce, I dont see how you could still get anywhere near 63% in total.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 06:47 pm
I knew nimh could find the stats! Thanks.

LoneStarMadam wrote:
At any rate, & getting back to the topic....
If we were to become isolationists, we wouldn't starve but the rest of the world might be hungary. We can be self sustaining.

And Hungary might be Turkey. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I suspect that if the USA built a wall around itself, gave up Alaska and Hawaii and all other non-continental dependencies, and it's oil addiction then yes, it could be self-sustaining. Certain US-based multi-national conglomerates may object (IBM, Coca-Cola, Haldimand, Hollywood, etc.) but they would always be welcome to relocate to, say, Russia.

As for the world going hungry -- I doubt it. We Canadians may (with our huge dependency on Florida & California year-round produce), but I doubt that a significant amount of American-produced food gets to the billions in Asia, Africa, South America, or Europe.

But what are Americans going to do without oil, coffee, sugar?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:10 pm
Sugar we got--although the price would go through the roof and it would become very scarce, and the Hawaiians would become filthy rich. Personally, if the coffee runs out, i'm movin' to Columbia.

The Russians are appallingly corrupt, but between Russia, the Ukraine and Canada, they could easily supply the wheat we would no longer export (and Canadian farmers would not have to worry about the Grain Board any longer). Brazil has long competed, successfully, with us on soy bean production, and would love the opportunity to take over the market. Argentina would be more than happy to increase their beef exports. Japan might have a problem--they import a whole hell of a lot of rice from us, but their laws prohibit the import of rice as a grain, and they only import processed rice products from us, such as sushi (which is actually the name of the steamed rice cakes upon which raw fish is served), dry rice cakes, rice floor, rice noodles. I'm sure the Vietnamese, once (long, long ago) one of the largest rice exporters in the world, would be more than happy to have a bigger share of the Japanese market. American food exports are only attractive because of competitive prices, and are not an absolute life-or-death necessity for anyone.

Hunger in the world is a product of economic inequality and political manipulation--the rest of the world could get along quite well without food imports from the United States.

But, as Tico points out, how well would people here do without the products, many of them luxury food stuffs, which we import?

I'm not givin' up Columbian Coffee.

Guess i'll have to move to Canada, so i can still get good Columbian coffee.

No one in the United States--except for some trailer-trash in Tejas, apparently--calls this nation "the breadbasket of the world."
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 09:21 pm
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
As I said, I read it in a local publication & they quoted USDA.
i don't know for sure what the percentage is, but we're not called the worlds bread basket for nothing. I'm sure if you read all of the links, etc, you did see that, right?

Are you serious?

You do know for sure what a couple of related percentages are, because I just looked up the data for you, straight from the website of your own Government's Department of Agriculture.

They refute the number that you quoted, saying the US produces 63% of the world food supply. If the US only produces between 4% and 27% of a range of the world's staple foodstuffs - including, by the way, the category that includes soybeans, which you had highlighted before as a specific US production strength - then no way it could still produce 63% of the total world food supply.

But you want us to shrug all those specific, detailed data from your own government off along with you, on the basis that you remember a story in a local newspaper saying the total opposite and quoting the USDA? Although you cant yourself actually find that data back either on the USDA site or elsewhere? (No, the first 20 links on Google with the search term you suggested provide no such information.)

Or do you want us to shrug off those comparative government data because, well, over there you colloquially refer to the US as "the world's breadbasket"? We don't. You can call yourself whatever you want, but it doesnt prove much. The Russians used to call their Black earth and Volga regions the world's bread basket. More power to them, but all I care about is what the data say. And they show the US producing 20% or less of the world's total grains, with even the top number within that category(41%) falling far short of your 63%.

Whether one looks at the National Academy of Sciences or the United States Department of Agriculture as a verifiable source, the data seem to directly contradict your claim. But you insist that we believe what you remember a local newspaper saying, instead?

I'm just kind of stunned that someone would believe that the US produces 63% of the world food supply in the first place. That implies a pretty warped perception of the world.

Ok, you win, the US has produces no food, we depend on the largess of 3rd world countries. Feel better?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 10:48 pm
You can just admit that you pulled two numbers from your buttt, placed them side by side, accompanied with a % and tried to pass it off as an actual value that represented America's global contribution to food supply rather than continue this charade.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 10:51 pm
candidone1 wrote:
You can just admit that you pulled two numbers from your buttt, placed them side by side, accompanied with a % and tried to pass it off as an actual value that represented America's global contribution to food supply rather than continue this charade.

Nope, that's your stinky fingers you're smellin
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 10:53 pm
How far into the drink are you?
Obnoxiousness and immaturity must flow like the Vodka.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:11 pm
candidone1 wrote:
How far into the drink are you?
Obnoxiousness and immaturity must flow like the Vodka.

LMAO, you just can't bear the thought that someone would dare give back to you what you dish out, get used to it kiddo, every dog has it''s dauy & you're still just a pup.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:14 pm
I think, rather than continue to play your game, I'll give you what will likely bother you the most....and something you'll soon get used to from others on A2K.

Silence.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:41 pm
candidone1 wrote:
I think, rather than continue to play your game, I'll give you what will likely bother you the most....and something you'll soon get used to from others on A2K.

Silence.

So you said before but you're still blathering.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:07 am
Tico wrote:
Well, I looked but could not find stats on proportion of world food supply by nation. I doubt that I have the necessary research skills for this. (Nimh! Where are you?) I did find something that stated:

Quote:
the U.S., Canada, and Australia together contain less than 6% of the world's population, they currently produce about 20% of the global cereal harvest.

National Academy of Sciences of The USA

I believe that it's reasonable to guess that cereal (rice, corn, wheat) is the largest (in quantity volume if not money) category of foodstuffs, and therefore if these 3 countries together are producing only 20% of global production then the USA does not produce 63% of world food. Perhaps in a particular category (eg. soft drinks) that global percentage might be possible.

On a monetary level, I've heard many times that coffee (which would be a food) is the world's second highest commodity after oil. The USA, outside of the relatively small Hawaiian Kona estates, does not produce any coffee, I don't think. So it would appear that the 63% could not be attainable from a cost of goods POV either.

Maybe the 63% is the percentage of food produced within the USA that is exported from the USA.

I dont kow if this helps,but I did find this...

http://dieoff.org/page57.htm

Quote:
First, most of the 183 nations of the world are now, to some extent, dependent on food imports. Most of these imports are cereal surpluses produced only in those countries that have relatively low population densities and practice intensive agriculture. For instance, the United States, Canada, Australia, Oceania, and Argentina provide 81 percent of net cereal exports on the world market.

I found this site...

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sdd10600

and it lists the food export amounts by country,from 2001 - 2005, and the US does top thelist.
The US has a 5 year average of exporting 51.1% of the worlds food supply.
I am, not sure if that is a dollar amount or not though.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
It's the food amount. I know there's someplace that lists it as 63% but I can't find it. At any rate, even at 51% it shows that there's plenty to sustain this country if we quit giving it away.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 08:12 pm
Re: Isolationism:A Good Thing?
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Many Americans want our borders closed, our immigration laws upheld, many want us out of Iraq ( a few neanderthals even want, deserve to losethe US Military to lose in Iraq, according to one thread here) many say we should mind our own business. Between just these two groups, it seems to me that isolationism would work. What do you think? I am for it, we would save a ton of $$, crime would go down, we could be self sustaining, what's not to like about isolationism?
http:''www.schoolhistory.org.uk/america/isolationism.htm

More or less, I agree with this statement. We should stop being the world's policemen and the world's welfare department. America first!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 08:43 pm
Although you are to be commended on doing some research, MM, i think you have misread that chart. That appears to be the value of food exported by Alberta, and it would make sense that Alberta exports more food to the United States than to any other customer.

Even if you are correct that that chart represents total food exports in dollars, if that is from Alberta, then you're talking about Canadian dollars. That would make total food exports in the five year average to have been just over $5 billion CAN, which at current exchange rates would be less than $5 billion US (the Canadian dollar is strong right now against the US dollar, but still only runs about 88 or 89 cents US). Are we to believe that the entire export food market for the world in a five year average ending last year was only $5 billion US, or less?

I think you need to look at that chart again, and get some more information on what it means.

Once again, even if the chart refers to total world food exports, and the US averaged 51.1% of that, that's not only not close to 63%, it is not even remotely close to 63% of all of the food produced in the world in any one of those years. Every nation produces at least some of its own food, and exports are not going to add up to 100% of all food produced in the world.

I find your reliance upon that chart from Alberta to be a questionable basis upon which to assert that the United States produces 51.1% of all export food in the world, never mind 63% of all the food produced in the world.

I have never heard anyone (anyone reasonable, at least) refer to the United States as the world's breadbasket.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:00 pm
According to this page at the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, agricultural exports in the world in 2005 were worth $650,000,000,000 (that's 650 billion) US--so the chart that MM found cannot possibly refer to total world food exports.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:07 pm
We could be self sustaining. Isolationism is a good thing for America & since we're so hated & ridiculed by the rest of the world, or some would have us believe, we don't have anything to lose by taking down the welcome sign & closing up shop for visitors & the down & out.
Please, I would like to get back to the topic.
0 Replies