Isolationism:A Good Thing?

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:47 pm
Many Americans want our borders closed, our immigration laws upheld, many want us out of Iraq ( a few neanderthals even want, deserve to losethe US Military to lose in Iraq, according to one thread here) many say we should mind our own business. Between just these two groups, it seems to me that isolationism would work. What do you think? I am for it, we would save a ton of $$, crime would go down, we could be self sustaining, what's not to like about isolationism?
http:''www.schoolhistory.org.uk/america/isolationism.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,729 • Replies: 78
No top replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
It has to start somewhere...some brave, far-seeing individual who takes up the cause and demonstrates how isolation could work to everyone's benefit.

You are that very individual, I'm sure of it. I salute you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:56 pm
If my kids can't get a Playstation to occupy their time, there is no way I would ever be for isolationism.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:58 pm
blatham wrote:
It has to start somewhere...some brave, far-seeing individual who takes up the cause and demonstrates how isolation could work to everyone's benefit.

Laughing
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:02 pm
blatham wrote:

No thoughts of your own? No ideas of how this could work or not?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:04 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
blatham wrote:

Laughing

Thank you for your input, very intellectual.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If my kids can't get a Playstation to occupy their time, there is no way I would ever be for isolationism.

Ok, there's one thoughtful answer. At least you gave an answer & a reason, good on you.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:07 pm
Would this new isolationism entail withdrawing all American corporate interests in other countries, an abandonment of international military bases, and a disbanding of agencies like the CIA?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:09 pm
Hey, it seems to be working for China.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:10 pm
And North Korea.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:25 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Would this new isolationism entail withdrawing all American corporate interests in other countries, an abandonment of international military bases, and a disbanding of agencies like the CIA?

As far as I'm concerned, yes, (to all) it would. The CIA was hatched as an overseas operation, we wouldn't need it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:26 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, yes, it would. The CIA was hatched as an overseas operation, we wouldn't need it.

The CIA would still be needed. They are there to keep a watch on forgein govt's and to make sure the US is safe from outside sources.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:27 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hey, it seems to be working for China.

It wouldn't work too well for them when we stopped trading with them, but as I said, we could be self sufficient
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 02:00 pm
% in North Korea
They're starving, the US supplies 63% of the worlds food supply.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 02:12 pm
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, yes, it would. The CIA was hatched as an overseas operation, we wouldn't need it.

The CIA would still be needed. They are there to keep a watch on forgein govt's and to make sure the US is safe from outside sources.

They have done a pretty pi$$ poor job of it, & I say this as the sister-in-law of a former CIA employee. The concept of the CIA was good, but they got too PC, couldn't use people on the ground.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 02:30 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

They have done a pretty pi$$ poor job of it, & I say this as the sister-in-law of a former CIA employee. The concept of the CIA was good, but they got too PC, couldn't use people on the ground.

I won't point fingers but we had a president that didn't like the idea of our country dealing with dirty people to obtain information. It should be put like this, when dealing with bad people you aren't going to find Howdy Doody.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 02:34 pm
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

I won't point fingers but we had a president that didn't like the idea of our country dealing with dirty people to obtain information. It should be put like this, when dealing with bad people you aren't going to find Howdy Doody.

I know what you're saying & I agree.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 02:55 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
the US supplies 63% of the worlds food supply.

Do you have a source for this?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 03:17 pm
Tico wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
the US supplies 63% of the worlds food supply.

Do you have a source for this?

USDA
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
A link means providing something active that we can all click on to read the same information you have read.
The USDA site is rather large.
Narrow it for us.
0 Replies