I Need Help on Pronoucing a Norse Name

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:55 am
Recently I have indulged myself into reading Norse mythology and I have come across a name that I like but I am having problems with pronouncing this name Fjölvar I got the Fjö part like the norwegain Fjords but the rest i get my tongue all messed up.

Thank you

and If anybody knows Norsk could you please translate: Why get somthing with the sweat off my back that I can get with the shedding of my own blood?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 822 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Eirene

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 03:04 am
earch. L is the same as english, A is pronounced like the long A in car. And R you kinda roll at the top of your tongue, don't think there's something similar to that in english though.
Oh wait, it sounds quite like when you're cold and says "Brrr". Hehe.

Your sentence is quite hard, but in swedish it would be, directly translated:

Varför få någonting med svett från min rygg som jag kan få med min egen blodsspillan?

Good luck!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:49 am
Apparently, in Norwegian that translates to: Hvorfor bli et eller annet med det svette av meg rygg det JEG kanne bli med det befri seg for av meg egen blod?

At least according to the Google online translator.
0 Replies

0n1yhuman

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:21 am
Thank you both

but i dont trust online translators, they are horrible in grammar, i prefer human translators
0 Replies

Eirene

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 02:40 pm
Quote:
Hvorfor bli et eller annet med det svette av meg rygg det JEG kanne bli med det befri seg for av meg egen blod?

In english, I would translate it to:

Why become this or that with sweat of my back what I can be with that is set free of my own blood.

Strange, yes...
0 Replies

0n1yhuman

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:39 pm
Yeah that tottaly changes the meaning of the quote, Razz

i think you were stressing the EA in search wrong it makes more of a er int search and i kinda got the hint on how to say it but i figrued i would use speach in my compy to pronounce it. oh and you forgot about the V.

but thank you though for taking your time out and helping me Smile Cheers
0 Replies

Eirene

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:52 pm
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:54 pm
That's a tough one. Why don't we just call him Fred?
0 Replies

0n1yhuman

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:58 pm
no we cannot just call him fred because i want to name my child after that damn name

yeah well i can now pronounce it because of my grandma(she is from norway) teehee Razz
0 Replies