Canada recognises Quebec as a nation!

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 12:35 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Considering the fact that Harper needs Quebec votes, I don't find this semantic game the least bit surprising. It is appeasement at it's finest.

I think this will come back to bite him in the ass. For whatever notional support this gets him in Québec, he has publicly ridiculed the Bloc--did it three times in under 24 hours, and some of his ministers chimed in. This topic will always be there, simmering on a back burner, and i think Harper just overreacted to the Liberal leadership candidates.

But the Tories need the Bloc to prop up their minority government--the New Democrats and the Liberals sure as hell aren't gonna prop them up. If it comes down to a crucial vote, Harper had better hope there is no residual resentment among members of the Bloc for the scorn he has heaped on them.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:08 pm
True dat.

If he goes out on a limb to support this assinine statement of his, he will further alienate himself from the rest of Canada because the separatists are not viewed very favorably in the remaining provinces.
What he gains in Quebec, he'll lose in Ontario alone.
Appeasing this one province pretty much guarantees a ton of animosity coming your way.
0 Replies