Canada recognises Quebec as a nation!

Brand X

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:28 pm
Are things so dull in Cananda they need to stir the pot?

This was totally out of the blue for all Canadians apparently. There's really no need to try to isolate their culture - why go beyond equality? It's especially strange an uncalled for considering the huge populations of english-speakers in Quebec (and francophones outside of Quebec). What's going to happen to them? What was wrong with the current situation? There are millions of Asians in Canada, why not them too? There's a good reason: Everyone is Canadian. There's nothing to be gained from secluding culture. Cultures and sub-cultures are already accepted here in full harmony.

Canucks unite!

Canada recognises Quebec as a nation

* Email
* Print
* Normal font
* Large font

November 28, 2006 - 1:39PM
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Canada's parliament has recognised Quebecers as a nation within a united Canada.

It backed a controversial proposal that has already prompted one minister in the minority Conservative government to quit.

The House of Commons voted 266 to 16 in favour of the motion, which the government said it saw as a way to head off pressure from separatists who want to break away from Canada.

But critics said the proposal could actually bolster the separatists, and the pro-independence Bloc Quebecois said it would use the change to demand extra powers, including Quebec's right to speak at international meetings.

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Michael Chong resigned over the vote and said the separatists would use it to sow confusion.

"I believe in this great country of ours, and I believe in one nation, undivided, called Canada," Chong, whose cabinet brief included Ottawa's ties with Quebec and Canadian provinces, told a news conference.

"They (the separatists) will argue that if the Quebecois are a nation within Canada, then they are certainly a nation without Canada."

Chong's resignation does not threaten the government's survival, but it does underline political tensions over the status of Quebec, which has already held two closely contested referendums over whether to break away from Canada.

Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper drafted the motion last week in response to one from the Bloc that recognised Quebecers as a nation, but did not include the words "within a united Canada".

Chong said he remains a Conservative member of Parliament and was loyal to Harper.

He was the first minister to leave the cabinet since Harper defeated the Liberals in January. Chong quit after the government said it would dismiss cabinet ministers if they did not vote for the proposal.

French-speaking Quebec already calls its legislature the Quebec National Assembly and calls Quebec City its national capital.

"It won't change anything in their day-to-day lives," insisted Industry Minister Maxime Bernier, a leading Quebec legislator, during Parliamentary debate.

"It won't give Quebecers more powers."

Many Canadian politicians have welcomed the motion as a way of mollifying Quebecers. But others said it risked opening the door to the break-up of Canada down the road.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,251 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:49 pm
It's kinda goofy.

They didn't define nation or Quebecois on their way to that interesting vote.

Goofs.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:43 pm
Considering the fact that Harper needs Quebec votes, I don't find this semantic game the least bit surprising. It is appeasement at it's finest.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:45 pm
That's the way I see it as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:02 pm
I suspect it's gonna bite Harper in the butt.

He's lost some gimme votes that he might have been able to call on in the future.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:03 pm
You got that right. The separatists probably love Stephen. Canada voted for Harper and now the rest of us have to live with it until the next election. Yup, I predict he will be out then.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:09 pm
now if only they would open some of America, let thinking and caring people with some damn common sense live there and secede from the union.....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:12 pm
I dunno. The resolution itself is so vague as to be legally meaningless. It does, however, give the separatist Quebecois the illusion that they now have more bargaining power.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:16 pm
Smoke and mirrors to be sure.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:20 pm
Well, all the short sighted gun-totin'-hillbilly-rednecks in Alberta are starting to hum the separatist song now.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:43 pm
Now if they could just recognize their own garbage...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:11 pm
i hear what your saying, but your state agreed to take it
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:13 pm
and for the record, the conservative government of stephen harper recognized quebec as a nation

the jury is still out on the rest of canada's feeling about the plan
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:16 pm
And what of newfoundland? When will newfies get the independance they so richly deserve?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:31 pm
Finally I can weigh in with no opinons bolstering whatever comment I make.

Which is to say, I'm listening.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 12:10 am
At least, this attracks less (international) publicity than de Gaulle's visit in 1967 Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 12:10 am
Mon Dieux! Est Canada pleine du merde??? J'espere que non!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 05:58 am
djjd62 wrote:
and for the record, the conservative government of stephen harper recognized quebec as a nation

the jury is still out on the rest of canada's feeling about the plan

Basically, the new Conservative government is making a desperate appeal to a group of people who generally hate them. Unfortunately, it has the potential to polarize Canada and isolate culture. It caught everyone off-guard when they suddenly announced all of this and it somehow became a big issue. Stephen Harper is a vote-hungry asshole it would seem.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:50 am
I heard they had WMD's in Quebec.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:34 am
McGentrix wrote:
I heard they had WMD's in Quebec.

You referrig to the poutine?
0 Replies