Restaurants near Opera House - Boston

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:25 pm
I am taking my daughter to the Nutcracker this weekend. I want to take her out for an early dinner (about 4:00) before the show. I am having difficulty finding a place that is pretty nice (she will be very dressed up) and still have some food that she will like.

Anyone have any thoughts? She is 8 years old - very well behaved, but would prefer a cheeseburger than some exotic type of food. She does like shrimp and lobster, but on the plain side (and I prefer not to spend $30 - $40 on her meal).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,205 • Replies: 13
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:05 am
Ah, you're near the Common (the Opera House is at 539 Washington St, Boston, 02111), so you want Chinatown. Most places are really inexpensive, lots to choose from.

More info here: http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=24487691
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:47 am
I am very familar with the area as I used to work not too far away on Tremont St. However, most restaurants I can think of that are not fast food - are too trendy in that my daughter would think they are cool, but may not like the food. I do like Chinatown, but as far as I know, most would not be appropriate for when you are very dressed up - as we plan on being very dressed up for the occassion.

I did get Jacob Wirth at 31-37 Stuart St. as a recommendation, but not sure how nice it is - and not sure as to how far a walk. I also got P.F. Chang, however, if I was going that far, I would just bring her to Legal Seafood or Magelll (whatever that Italien place is).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:39 pm
Isn't Jae's near there? How about that German restaurant we all met ebrowne at?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:42 pm
The Combat Zone is right there. You can take her to...on second though never mind.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:47 pm
<grin>

What about Pho, is it still there?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:51 pm
littlek, your memory's slipping. "That German place" is where y'all met PDiddie the night I wasn't able to join you. And that place is Jake Wirth's. I second that recommendation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:52 pm
Merry - you are right! But, wasn't ebrowne there, too?

And just where has pdiddie been?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:54 pm
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's noticed the slippage of littlek's memory.

I didn't want to say anything.

Thanks, Merry.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:42 am
littlek wrote:
Isn't Jae's near there? How about that German restaurant we all met ebrowne at?

Jacob Wirth's is probably what you are referring to - they do have a kids menu and that is a thought. I love Jae's, but it probably won't be to a kids palate.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:42 am
NickFun wrote:
The Combat Zone is right there. You can take her to...on second though never mind.

She isn't old enough to get into any of those. But I bet you could recommend some good ones.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:44 am
littlek wrote:
<grin>

What about Pho, is it still there?

Love Pho too! But again, I don't think there is anything on the menu she would like. That's the problem I am having - lots of great places, but not much that a kid would like to eat. She likes lots of different things, but as most kids - likes things a bit more plain.

I think I might just go in earlier - and maybe park on the street near legal seafood and go there - she would love that. Loves seafood - especially shrimp and lobster, however, I will have to tell her ahead of time no lobster.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:06 am
Hard to go wrong with LSF.

I recall when Hermione and the Lovely Bride were into the
mother-daughter Nutcracker thing. Some really great memories
for both of them. I hope you and your little Sugar Plum Fairy
have a great time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:48 am
George wrote:
Hard to go wrong with LSF.

I recall when Hermione and the Lovely Bride were into the
mother-daughter Nutcracker thing. Some really great memories
for both of them. I hope you and your little Sugar Plum Fairy
have a great time.

Thanks George! My daughter is so excited about it - but I may be more so. I have been to the ballet lots of times, but believe it or not I have never seen the Nutcracker.

She does love Legal Seafood and it is a bit nicer than an average family type place, but not so much so that there is not anything on the menu she won't like. They do have a great kids menu and usually the Park Plaza is very pretty decorated for Christmas - I could walk her through the hotel lobby area.
0 Replies