Modern Society and the Value of our Values

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:09 am
Now boys! (setanta, I'll be your "second" if you like)

sweetcomplication; the ultimate "simplifier!" (I'll be your "first" if you like)

Meanwhile, back at the forum,
Dux; I would suggest the word "introspection" to replace "loneliness", as, when engaged in pondering the deepest reaches of existence, one is never aware of being lonely.
Mind you the loneliness comes later when, once you have come to some enlightening conclusions, you cannot find anyone to listen!
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:40 am
BoGoWo wrote:
Meanwhile, back at the forum,
Dux; I would suggest the word "introspection" to replace "loneliness", as, when engaged in pondering the deepest reaches of existence, one is never aware of being lonely.
Mind you the loneliness comes later when, once you have come to some enlightening conclusions, you cannot find anyone to listen!

Well, not really. The only way to discover some things is to be alone, of course I do consider that when I've reached my conclusion it'll be hard for people to pay m attention, but I'm optimistic bout it.& instrospection is included in my selfishness. Cool Cool
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
BoGoWo, you wrote, in part:

"sweetcomplication; the ultimate "simplifier!" (I'll be your "first" if you like)"

whaaaaaaa? was that a putdown Crying or Very sad ?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:24 pm
Terry wrote:

Quote:
Nihilism and theism are not our only choices. Atheism, humanism, and agnosticism are meaningful alternatives. A belief in gods or a transcendent self is not necessary for people to have values, value other beings, and find meaning in our own existence here and now.

When we talk about god and transcendence it is about the ultimate truth, what actually is going on.

If the possibilities are either god, (transcendent self) exists or god does not exist, agnosticism is not in the picture, agnosticism cannot be the truth, it's a way station.

Atheism, if true, i.e. god does not exist, is Nihilism, and in this quest humanism is navel gazing.

Although I think it is through so called navel gazing that truth will be found, but it has to reach beyond, or deeper into human interests, and beyond, to attempt to gaze upon the gazer.

Hence two possibilities, god exists or god does not exist, (nihilism)

Quote:
My life is valuable to me (and, I like to think, to those who know me) both because I enjoy the experiencing of it and because I think that my existence contributes to the progress of the human race.

It doesn't matter that I don't know whether we have any purpose or what it may be, or that the human race may have evolved out of recognition or even be extinct in a few million years. It doesn't matter that the earth will be dead in a few billion years and that the known universe will eventually come to an end.

I agree with you, and I would say we create meaning and value, we manufacture it. We find purpose in this life based on the on going production of it.

[And a significant side issue to that is why and how do we create meaning, who in fact creates it? How does it come about? etc.]

But these issues of god, transcendence and universal consciousness etc. are about something beyond and in addition to this apparent existence, something more fundamental and deeper,........ a 'self' that is more then what we appear to be to ourselves, our everyday subject-object 'self'.

We are in a drama/play called life and we find meaning, value and purpose in it, (which is probably a necessity), The question being raised and addressed (attempted) is why, how does it exist at all.

Either someone (god) produced a play in which there appears to be no audience since the producer (god, transcendent 'self') is not observable.

Or the play/drama/life just happened. If it just happened we usually say,...... life as we know it is an accidental phenomenal occurrence.

As such LIFE (the big picture perspective), has no meaning, value or purpose, since it just "happened", and we just ""happen"" to give it meaning, life gives life meaning, etc. etc..

However that does mean that a god does not exist, for many reasons, one being; we are left with the fact that we cannot observe the observer (of life).

Quote:
It doesn't matter that "I" will most likely cease to exist when my brain decays.

What matters is that "I" am a sentient being who has determined that there are two absolute values in life:

I agree, but your " I " doesn't address questions of this nature for it is being taken for granted.

It's not fundamental enough.

As we have discussed many times , this " I " is being observed so it isn't the 'real' self if the real self is the observer. The observer I am cannot be observed as an observable.

It's like looking into a mirror in which you do not see the reflection of your body or face,.....you see the everyday world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:43 pm
I don't think it's even the 'observer' that is relevant. There are too many interpretations of what the observer sees. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:56 pm
twyvel wrote:
Terry wrote:

Quote:
Nihilism and theism are not our only choices. Atheism, humanism, and agnosticism are meaningful alternatives. A belief in gods or a transcendent self is not necessary for people to have values, value other beings, and find meaning in our own existence here and now.

When we talk about god and transcendence it is about the ultimate truth, what actually is going on.

If the possibilities are either god, (transcendent self) exists or god does not exist, agnosticism is not in the picture, agnosticism cannot be the truth, it's a way station.

That is absurd. The "truth" can be that either a God exists or there are no gods -- and the truth can, at the same time, be that we do not know and cannot determine which it is.

I have no idea of why you want to eliminate agnosticism from this equation, but I suspect it is because the agnostic position IS the truth position.

Quote:
Atheism, if true, i.e. god does not exist, is Nihilism, and in this quest humanism is navel gazing.

Although I think it is through so called navel gazing that truth will be found, but it has to reach beyond, or deeper into human interests, and beyond, to attempt to gaze upon the gazer.

That not only is a misrepresentation of what nihilism is -- it does serious injustice to logic . It merely serves the purpose of allowing a segue into your Eastern mysticism belief system.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:08 pm
Hey, Frank, yo! I used to believe in humanism but gave up after finding so many people to be such a disappointment! Would you please be so kind as to explain to me why so many people here have such a hard time accepting agnosticism; is it simply not being able to tolerate the fact that no one really does know, ie inability to tolerate ambiguity? Thanks for any help you are willing and/or able to provide...
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:09 pm
Agnosticism is still a choice, but not the one i would choose. Maybe the reason that agnosticism is so hard to accept is that they are in the crossfire between atheist & theists, trying to forcethem to choose a side.

Btw, I don't believe that atheism is part of the path to nihilsm, maybe it's a part of path to know yourself more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:11 pm
Dux wrote:
Btw, I don't believe that atheism is part of the path to nihilsm, maybe it's a part of path to know yourself more.

Thanks, Boss, i appreciate that, as i am a non-affiliated atheist . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:26 pm
on a strickly intellectual level i am an agnostic, as a day to day practical level i am an atheist. works for me..
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:07 am
Dux, nepotism and cronyism probably have more to do with power than love. You can love your children and still want them to be independent and succeed on their own merits.

PumpkinHead wrote:
The creative bit is evaluating: In particular, are there any values that are essential for health and happiness whcih are sytematically neglected in modern cultures way of life?

No culture that systematically neglects essential values can survive for long. Americans tend to neglect good diet, exercise, sleep, and living in harmony with nature, but these values are offset by better medical care. The value placed on traditional families has diminished to the detriment of many children. That is not to say that non-traditional families are bad as long as the children are loved and cared for.

It is up to each individual to determine what will make them happy and how to achieve it.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:11 am
Dys: on a strictly intellectual level, I too am an agnostic; as a practical day-to-day level, I keep searching, searching. It's just starting to work for me...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:43 am
twyvel wrote:

For those of us who admit that we do not know the ultimate truth about the existence of god(s), agnosticism IS the truth. If there are no gods, or if there are gods but it is fundamentally impossible to communicate with them, agnosticism is as close as we will likely ever get to the ultimate truth.

twyvel wrote:

Atheism is NOT nihilism. Humanism is NOT nihilism, nor is it "navel gazing." Theists believe in a personal god or gods, not just a transcendent self. Please try to understand the distinctions between them:

Quote:
Thus it happens, when the Atheist approaches the problem of finding natural grounds for human morals and establishing a nonsuperstitious basis for behavior, that it appears as though nature has already solved the problem to a great extent. Indeed, it appears as though the problem of establishing a natural, humanistic basis for ethical behavior is not much of a problem at all. It is in our natures to desire love, to seek beauty, and to thrill at the act of creation.
Atheism

Quote:
Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy.
Nihilism

Quote:
Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:
A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.
Secular Humanism

twyvel wrote:
However that does mean that a god does not exist, for many reasons, one being; we are left with the fact that we cannot observe the observer (of life). ... As we have discussed many times , this " I " is being observed so it isn't the 'real' self if the real self is the observer. The observer I am cannot be observed as an observable.

As I have explained many times, "I" am NOT the one being observed, "I" am the one doing the observing. I see no reason to postulate some mystical and imperceptible homunculus inside my head (transcendentally speaking, of course) who watches me as I perceive and think about the world I observe. It is completely pointless and violates Occam's Razor.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:02 am
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
I don't think it's even the 'observer' that is relevant. There are too many interpretations of what the observer sees. c.i.

No it's quite simple. If you can observe it, it's not the observer.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:30 am
Frank wrote:
[quote]

[quote]That is absurd. The "truth" can be that either a God exists or there are no gods -- and the truth can, at the same time, be that we do not know and cannot determine which it is.

I have no idea of why you want to eliminate agnosticism from this equation, but I suspect it is because the agnostic position IS the truth position.[/quote][/quote]

Agnosticism is a relative truth for many; a declaration of ignorance.

That said;

Either god (transcendence) exists or god does not exist. Period.

What we know or do not know is another question.

You are confusing the two.

If this existence is an illusion, it's an illusion. If god exists, god exists.

Whether we know it or not is another issue.

But then I think there is more then one kind of 'knowing'.

[quote]

[quote]That not only is a misrepresentation of what nihilism is -- it does serious injustice to logic . It merely serves the purpose of allowing a segue into your Eastern mysticism belief system.[/quote][/quote]

Saying it doesn't make it so.

But it's typical of you to attempt to counter someone's statements or discredit what they write by merely saying they are incorrect.

Nietzsche's definition; (synopsis)

"That there is no truth; that there is no absolute state of affairs-no 'thing-in-itself.' This alone is Nihilism, and of the most extreme kind."

{I cannot get rid of the large type size for some reason}
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:38 am
Sweet

There are many people who attack agnosticism because they seem to think that people who acknowledge they do not know the stuff they do not know -- and who are unwilling to make guesses that essentially are WILD GUESSES -- somehow are a threat to the wild guesses they are making.

That is not the case, but it appears some of the people making the guesses feel that way -- so they denigrate agnosticism.

I do not know the nature of reality -- I do not know if there is a God or if there are no gods -- there does not appear to be enough unambiguous evidence upon which I can make a reasonable, meaningful guess.

That should not threaten anyone except someone who is intellectually weak.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:24 am
Terry wrote:
Dux, nepotism and cronyism probably have more to do with power than love. You can love your children and still want them to be independent and succeed on their own merits.

False, parents who love their children alot would DO ANYTHING to help them get a brighter future, even if their children are dumb. They favour their children over people who are more capable than them. Many of those people who practice nepotism think of themselves as fair persons.

I know this because is a reality down here, I live it, & I can testify it.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:11 am
Dux, I love my children A LOT, but I would not "DO ANYTHING" to give them a brighter future. I would not lie, cheat, or steal for them. I would not give them a job they did not deserve at the expense of someone else. Of course, my children happen to be pretty smart and do not need much from us (although we are paying their college tuition). My son (21) has a job and pays all of his own expenses. He works full time in the summer and part time during the school year, at a job he found for himself. My daughter will be a sophomore and we are pay for her dorm room, but expect her to pay for her own expenses with the money she earns during the summer.

I can see that it is different in your culture, but your experience is not universal.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:21 am
Terry wrote:
Dux, I love my children A LOT, but I would not "DO ANYTHING" to give them a brighter future. I would not lie, cheat, or steal for them. I would not give them a job they did not deserve at the expense of someone else. Of course, my children happen to be pretty smart and do not need much from us (although we are paying their college tuition). My son (21) has a job and pays all of his own expenses. He works full time in the summer and part time during the school year, at a job he found for himself. My daughter will be a sophomore and we are pay for her dorm room, but expect her to pay for her own expenses with the money she earns during the summer.

I can see that it is different in your culture, but your experience is not universal.

True, my experience is not universal, however it could happen in every part of the world.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:30 am
Dux, In a reply to Terry, you wrote:

Dux wrote:
False, parents who love their children alot would DO ANYTHING to help them get a brighter future...

Don't want to get any more involved in that question than I am -- but I do like to comment on debate/discussion technique when I think I have something worthwhile to share.

Here's a bit of unsolicited advice I hope you consider:

Stay away from phrases like "...would do anything..." if at all possible. In fact, avoid 'em like the plague. One cannot defend them without resorting to aburdities.

Would "parents who love their children a lot" become serial murderers in order to get their kids a brighter future?

Would they rob banks?

Would they start wars?

Well, maybe some people would (but that would be discussed in a political thread here in A2K) -- but most would not.

You wrote:

Quote:
I know this because is a reality down here, I live it, & I can testify it.

I suspect even down in Mexico the "do anything" would not hold.

Part of honing your debating technique is to avoid comments like that one. Hope you see my point.
0 Replies