What Does This Mean?

shark

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:39 am
Marts are twice as long as Mops. Mops are three times as long as Worbs. That means that:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:55 am
Re: What Does This Mean?
shark wrote:
Marts are twice as long as Mops. Mops are three times as long as Worbs. That means that:

I think the idea is that the nouns in the sentence are made up words.

I have no idea what "Marts", "Mops" or "Worbs" mean in this sentence since they make no sense. I can only assume that either the person is talking about a situation I am completely unfamiliar with, or she is just making up random words.

In either case it doesn't matter. The writer is making comparisons between three types of unknown things. I think the point is that you could drop any three concrete nouns into this sentence.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 08:21 am
I have seen these sorts of questions on aptitude tests. As Andrew said, the marts, mops and worbs are made up names. The idea is for the person to understand the relationships amongst the concepts. There is usually a third choice where you have to figure out the relationship between worbs and marts.

It might be something like:

"Worbs are __________the size of marts. The test taker has to fill in the answer.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 08:40 am
Perhaps you are supposed to arrive at the mathematic conclusion that "Marts are six times as long as worbs."
0 Replies