http://www.discovery.org/csc/fellows.php
Anomie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:14 pm
@wandeljw,
Yes, what are you suggesting?
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:15 pm
@Anomie,
Try asking why some educated ladies fainted when Darwin revealed his theory in an address to a university gathering. Famously.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:21 pm
@Anomie,
The Discovery Institute is the leading proponent of intelligent design. Intelligent design was defined as a religious viewpoint in Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District (U.S. District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania, 2005).
Anomie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:29 pm
@wandeljw,
My knowledge on intelligent design is limited, however Craig is a Christian thiest, and has argued that such beliefs are consistent with science.

Science existed before the concept of naturalism.

What is dark matter and dark energy?

http://cdn3.chartsbin.com/chartimages/l_yuc_61cc03da413eb04e07e25aa3a5cd31f2

The universe appears to be 'supernatural', be it an unmoved mover or infinite regress, such refutes naturalistic assumptions.

I personally find the simulated arguement convincing:

Quote:
Ten years after Hans Moravec first published the simulation argument (and three years after its update in Moravec's second full pop science book),[1] the philosopher Nick Bostrom investigated the possibility that we may be living in a simulation.[2] A simplified version of his argument proceeds as such:

i. It is possible that an advanced civilization could create a computer simulation which contains individuals with artificial intelligence (AI).
ii. Such a civilization would likely run many, billions for example, of these simulations (just for fun, for research or any other permutation of possible reasons).
iii. A simulated individual inside the simulation wouldn’t necessarily know that it is inside a simulation — it is just going about its daily business in what it considers to be the "real world."

Then the ultimate question is — if one accepts that the above premises are at least possible — which of the following is more likely?

a. We are the one civilization which develops AI simulations and happens not to be in one itself?
b. We are one of the many (billions) of simulations that has run? (Remember point iii.)

In greater detail, his argument attempts to prove the trichotomy, either that:

1. intelligent races will never reach a level of technology where they can run simulations of reality so detailed they can be mistaken for reality (assuming that this is possible in principle); or
2. races who do reach such a sophisticated level do not tend to run such simulations; or
3. we are almost certainly living in such a simulation
parados

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:04 pm
@Anomie,
If you throw enough ****, some if may stick.

Seems that is your case since you aren't making rational arguments.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:05 pm
@Anomie,
*sigh* Ugg. You're being awfully selective in what rules you argue by.
Anomie wrote:

To clarify my first quote (it did not entirely post, which is in bold):

Quote:
Observing the attraction of mass is direct. The force of gravity is the theory for why we believe mass behaves this way. We have never observed a particle candidate for a graviton. Perhaps someday we will. Even then, gravity will still be a theory, not a law.

By definition, direct observation of attracting bodies of mass is gravitation, and it may also be interpreted theoretically, hence a fundamental force.

"Gravitation" as a verb and describes the attraction independent of what theory is present. It's use as a term does not make the existence of gravity a law. If further investigation into sub-atomics found that gravity was the product of many things, and the theory of gravity was overtook by another one, we'd still use the term "gravitation." Words like "graviton" would become like "ether" (in the alchemical context). That's probably not the case, but what I'm trying to convey to you is that your use of language is playing fast and loose with terms that have very distinct defnitions.

Anomie wrote:

It is an empirical fact to humans, however it is exclusive to empiricalism, therefore it cannot be a priori, such a logic.

How do you know it is exclusive to human observation? I'm not assuming it isn't, but you're asserting it is.

Anomie wrote:

Logic is general to specific inference, the circle deduces.[/b]

Again, anything you can draw a circle around cannot explain itself without referring to something outside the circle – something you have to assume but cannot prove.

Empiricalism induces the circle.

I'll leave parados to sort through your philosophical navel gazing. I'll stick to your misunderstandings on science.

Anomie wrote:

Furthermore, you must assume consistency, hence naturalism, however are you certain that backround independent entities, such as the physical constants are consistent, do you not believe in inflation?

You brought up William of Ockham earlier, but now you don't seem to get why naturalism is not a mere assumption, it's simply the absence of added clauses. We have no reason to add extra complexity. Your objection to naturalism is that it doesn't fit your aesthetic model of nature.

Naturalism is the logical product when you subtract ego.

Anomie wrote:

If so, what of the consequent conditions, such as the suggested chaotic inflation concepts, the universe may end.

I'm not bothered by the universe ending. Should I be?

Anomie wrote:

If there is no space, how are intervals operated?

Seriously, what are you talking about? It's torture trying to read what you're posting here. It seems you're exploring some ideas, and that's great, but you read as if you just took some freshmen college course on epistemology and think you've got the world cornered. Your style of rhetoric is what I call "arguing with the ref." It's a form of intellectual bureaucracy where one party creates meta-arguments on the argument. In this way, the weaker argument can appear to be at par with a superior one because discussion can never approach the topic. Victory is defined as the ability to prevent the other party from presenting their case or letting it be tested.

Your posts are filibusters. Enough. We're here to talk about evolution. Parados nailed you to the wall when you both tried to define micro/macro evolution using speciation but also refused a definition of species. A common error in evolutionary discussion is to thin that evolution is about organisms and lifeforms. It's about genes. As Dawkins famously put it we're "gene machines"--simple vessels for genes. Resistance to evolution is in my opinion often rooted in an anthropomorphic vanity that anything could be greater than a human.

A
R
T
parados

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:18 pm
@Anomie,
Quote:
Science existed before the concept of naturalism.

Why even bring that up unless you are merely promoting a red herring?

Naturalism has no more to do with evolution existing than the existence of the tooth fairy does. There can be 40 other planes of existence but evolution would still exist on this plane and still operate in the same fashion.
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:26 pm
There you go Anomie. Score draw is the best you can hope for.

I can wipe the fuckers out and they know it.
parados

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:28 pm
@spendius,
You and Tristam Shandy and what army?
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:53 pm
@parados,
The army of estimable and refined ladies of quality and good taste of course. Such as Mrs Shandy, Eliza and Widow Wadman.
Anomie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 07:04 pm
@failures art,
That is my objective, to destinguish definitions.

Quote:
How do you know it is exclusive to human observation? I'm not assuming it isn't, but you're asserting it is.

I never stated that it is, it is an empirical fact from a human interpretation, I am not certain how generalisable it is, yet gravitation does not only stimulate observation, it stimulates every sense organ.

Quote:
You brought up William of Ockham earlier, but now you don't seem to get why naturalism is not a mere assumption, it's simply the absence of added clauses. We have no reason to add extra complexity. Your objection to naturalism is that it doesn't fit your aesthetic model of nature.

Occhams razor is not logical, however it may be interpreted 'rational'.

I never stated it is "mere assumption", it is an assumption suggested by empirical facts, science is conditionally naturalistic to our empirical reality.

Deductive systems are certain, being that it pressuposes necessaryily true beliefs.

Quote:

This is a misconception.

Empirical facts are assumed to be consistent in space and time, yet it has been suggested that the universe will end.

If this is the case, how are empirical facts consistent?

Quote:
Seriously, what are you talking about? It's torture trying to read what you're posting here. It seems you're exploring some ideas, and that's great, but you read as if you just took some freshmen college course on epistemology and think you've got the world cornered. Your style of rhetoric is what I call "arguing with the ref." It's a form of intellectual bureaucracy where one party creates meta-arguments on the argument. In this way, the weaker argument can appear to be at par with a superior one because discussion can never approach the topic. Victory is defined as the ability to prevent the other party from presenting their case or letting it be tested.

I will not refute your arguement on the basis of language aquisition.

Quote:
Your posts are filibusters. Enough. We're here to talk about evolution. Parados nailed you to the wall when you both tried to define micro/macro evolution using speciation but also refused a definition of species. A common error in evolutionary discussion is to thin that evolution is about organisms and lifeforms. It's about genes. As Dawkins famously put it we're "gene machines"--simple vessels for genes. Resistance to evolution is in my opinion often rooted in an anthropomorphic vanity that anything could be greater than a human.

Does this also apply to morphology, physiology or biochemistry?

parados has been subjected to a division fallacy, speciation is cognitively synonymous to macro evolution.

I already stated that species may be defined, however not universally, being that it is subjected to scientific fields, such as a geneticist or anthropologist, it is open to interpretation.

The same concept applies to abortion or puberty, how do we measure the spectrum of sentient fetus or a puberscent human?

Did the concept of genetics exist when Darwin constructed the theory of evolution?

Micro evolution exists from reducing the macro evolutionary concept, yet it has also been holistically redefined by such.

Also, acknowledge that evolution is subject to time (micro evolutionary process) environmental factors (stimuli), humans growth, hayflick limit ends, senescence occurs, humuns die, generations pass.

Speciation may never occur, I already stated that there is no longer macro selection pressure, therefore anatomical variation may no longer occur, there is no 'extreme' environmental stimulation.
Anomie

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 07:07 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Why even bring that up unless you are merely promoting a red herring?

Naturalism has no more to do with evolution existing than the existence of the tooth fairy does. There can be 40 other planes of existence but evolution would still exist on this plane and still operate in the same fashion.

Empiricalism entails naturalistic assumption.
parados

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 08:36 pm
@Anomie,
Quote:
Also, acknowledge that evolution is subject to time (micro evolutionary process) environmental factors (stimuli), humans growth, hayflick limit ends, senescence occurs, humuns die, generations pass.

Speciation may never occur, I already stated that there is no longer macro selection pressure, therefore anatomical variation may no longer occur, there is no 'extreme' environmental stimulation.

Are you really arguing that humans are the only species subject to evolution?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 08:38 pm
@Anomie,
Anomie wrote:

Empiricalism entails naturalistic assumption.

So? What is your argument? That we should assume a unnatural assumption? How is that a logical assumption?

You blather on about circles and how we can or can't pick outside the circle and now you want to argue what?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 08:47 pm
@spendius,
Perhaps the problem is the clock.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 09:01 pm
@Anomie,
Quote:
parados has been subjected to a division fallacy, speciation is cognitively synonymous to macro evolution.

Are you saying I was subjected to your fallacy here?
Quote:

Observations of micro evolution is direct, I am not certain if it is macro evolution may be direct, specifically speciation.

I respond to your statement where you imply that macroevolution is speciation and then you accuse me of being subjected to a fallacy? You seem incapable of expressing yourself clearly or consistently.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 11:51 pm
@Anomie,
Anomie wrote:

That is my objective, to destinguish definitions.

Anomie wrote:

Quote:

I never stated that it is, it is an empirical fact from a human interpretation, I am not certain how generalisable it is, yet gravitation does not only stimulate observation, it stimulates every sense organ.

You specifically named one species--humans--in your statement. Why?

Also, I'll forgive the sloppy language here. Gravity does not stimulate every sense organ.

Anomie wrote:

Quote:

Occhams razor is not logical, however it may be interpreted 'rational'.

What did I say about it being logical? You introduced him earlier, it's fair game.

Anomie wrote:

I never stated it is "mere assumption", it is an assumption suggested by empirical facts, science is conditionally naturalistic to our empirical reality.

Nature is indifferent to us. It was doing just fine prior to humans, and I'm sure it will be fine after we're gone. It's not doing anything special for us.

Anomie wrote:

Quote:

This is a misconception.

Empirical facts are assumed to be consistent in space and time, yet it has been suggested that the universe will end.

If this is the case, how are empirical facts consistent?

I disagree. I think empirical facts are very transient. This is the inevitable product of gaining more information. Drawing an example from celestial mechanics:

First, the sun and moon rose from one horizon and set on the other of a flat earth. Then the sun and moon orbited the round earth. Then the earth was on an orbit around the sun, and the moon around the earth. Then orbits were elliptical, not circular. Then the orbits were oscillating on an elliptical mean orbit. We still don't have an explicit solution. We know much about orbits, but we are learning more. We even know that what we accept as fact right now is not fully true. Despite this, we aren't troubled by our "empirical facts" constantly changing on this matter. The fact that new models involving greater amounts of data and complexity will be better but ultimately wrong (in the sense that they will not be 100% accurate) does not mean that we are on the wrong track, nor does it mean that we are no better off than when we thought the sun went around the earth.

You waxing poetic about if empiricism proves empiricism doesn't provide a challenge to what empiricism does provide.

More data, and better tooling, that's how we discover. Stop navel gazing.

Anomie wrote:

Quote:

I will not refute your arguement on the basis of language aquisition.

Ganz Falsch.

Anomie wrote:

Quote:

Does this also apply to morphology, physiology or biochemistry?

Does what apply? Evolution?

Anomie wrote:

Because you say so.

Anomie wrote:

I already stated that species may be defined, however not universally, being that it is subjected to scientific fields, such as a geneticist or anthropologist, it is open to interpretation.

Still doesn't matter. Even if speciation was universally defined, evolution would be a topic that occurs on the genetic level, not at the species level. Mind you, an organism has it's genes, but it also has it's recessive genes. So if you're only limiting yourself to speciation, you'll leave out a huge component of evolution that happens at a level more fundamental than a full organism.

Anomie wrote:

The same concept applies to abortion or puberty, how do we measure the spectrum of sentient fetus or a puberscent human?

How would this apply to abortion? Are you saying that sentience is the fulcrum on such a topic? Perhaps on a political/social level, but from a scientific one, you're begging.

Anomie wrote:

Did the concept of genetics exist when Darwin constructed the theory of evolution?

Not as it exists today, no. Genetics was a very new field in Darwin's time. He and Mendel were most noteworthy. Other people thought of blending and that traits were created by parent's experience. Lots of versions of genetics existed at the beginning.

As more data and better tooling (better microscopes, etc) became available, we learned more and more.

Anomie wrote:

Micro evolution exists from reducing the macro evolutionary concept, yet it has also been holistically redefined by such.

Because you say so.

Anomie wrote:

You're incorrect. Fitness is how well a species genetics are adapted to their environment. We've become a powerful species in that we can effect our environment to fit our individual genetic needs. This does not mean that there is no selection pressure, it simply means that our fit is unlike most other species.

Consider that with the invention of automated factories we do less physical labor, and labor has a real effect on our environment. This means that many of the genetic traits that once made for a stable environment may not provide the greatest fit in the new paradigm.

A
R
T
Anomie

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 05:27 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
You specifically named one species--humans--in your statement. Why?

Humans appear to be the only introspective organism on Earth, I am not arguing speciesm.

Scientifically, sentience may be operated by expressing logarithms as a physical quantity and scaling the quotient, however the spectrum must be defined, such as the operationalisation of sentience.

Quote:
Gravity does not stimulate every sense organ.

Sense organs have mass, furthermore humans that have been subjected to spaceflight have reported this, is this direct evidence anecdotal?

Example:
Seeing the attraction between bodies of mass is relative.
Taste is 'bland'.
Smell is 'bland'.
Hearing, more specifically, the inner ears are required to acknowledge direction, such as the concept of 'downwards'.

Furthermore, the implications of being subjected to low gravitation declines physiology, which may also indirectly entail sensory stimulation, being touch (illness) or declined vision (insulin sensitivity).

Quote:
I disagree. I think empirical facts are very transient. This is the inevitable product of gaining more information. Drawing an example from celestial mechanics:

First, the sun and moon rose from one horizon and set on the other of a flat earth. Then the sun and moon orbited the round earth. Then the earth was on an orbit around the sun, and the moon around the earth. Then orbits were elliptical, not circular. Then the orbits were oscillating on an elliptical mean orbit. We still don't have an explicit solution. We know much about orbits, but we are learning more. We even know that what we accept as fact right now is not fully true. Despite this, we aren't troubled by our "empirical facts" constantly changing on this matter. The fact that new models involving greater amounts of data and complexity will be better but ultimately wrong (in the sense that they will not be 100% accurate) does not mean that we are on the wrong track, nor does it mean that we are no better off than when we thought the sun went around the earth.

You waxing poetic about if empiricism proves empiricism doesn't provide a challenge to what empiricism does provide.

More data, and better tooling, that's how we discover. Stop navel gazing.

I am not arguing that empiricalism is 'unreliable', I am arguing that it cannot be proven, therefore evolution cannot be proven, it is fallible epistemology.

However, yes, I do believe that scientific methodology is most empirically valid.
Quote:
Does what apply? Evolution?

Without macro interpretations, there is no binary nomenclature.

Without micro interpretations, there is no quantum mechanics.

It is open to interpretations, personally training in track and field, there is even meso cycles to modify performance.

Quote:
Because you say so.

I am not appealing to emotion, I am arguing by definition.

Speciation is cognitively synonymous to macro evolution.

Quote:
Still doesn't matter. Even if speciation was universally defined, evolution would be a topic that occurs on the genetic level, not at the species level. Mind you, an organism has it's genes, but it also has it's recessive genes. So if you're only limiting yourself to speciation, you'll leave out a huge component of evolution that happens at a level more fundamental than a full organism.

No, it occurs on the quantum scale, we are probabilities of particles at given point calculated by wave function.

Why do you not deconstruct further than biology?
Is it because the concept of evolution no longer exists?
Who defines this empirical spectrum, you, the scientific consensus, or the original interpreter?

Also, the theory of how evolution occurs is open to interpretation, unless you are attempting to measure evidence 'rationally'.

Quote:
How would this apply to abortion? Are you saying that sentience is the fulcrum on such a topic? Perhaps on a political/social level, but from a scientific one, you're begging.

It is entirely normative, and it is an anology, furthermore I do not believe in objective moral values, there does not appear to be semantical truth to prescriptions, such as 'right' or 'wrong'.

Quote:
Because you say so.

Would you deny phenotype on the basis of genotype?

Genotype alone does not necessarily entail phenotype.

Quote:
You're incorrect. Fitness is how well a species genetics are adapted to their environment. We've become a powerful species in that we can effect our environment to fit our individual genetic needs. This does not mean that there is no selection pressure, it simply means that our fit is unlike most other species.

Consider that with the invention of automated factories we do less physical labor, and labor has a real effect on our environment. This means that many of the genetic traits that once made for a stable environment may not provide the greatest fit in the new paradigm.

Yes, that being a natural environment, not 'artificial' or "new paradigm", humans are organic matter, however genetic engineering may destroy this concept.

I would argue that adaptation is not a "stable environment", it is suggested that most humans of the paleolithic era died at 15 years of age, yet if a human survived pass this age, the average life span is of 54 years of age, hence 'extreme' stimuli, such as starvation (common death) satisfies self preservation, yet this may also be circumstantial evidence of today, why do humans store lipids efficiently, unlike protein or carbohydrates?

Perhaps natural selection, meaning that humans survived starvation and reproduced, this variant increased in allele frequency for perhaps 150,000 plus thousand years.

Also, I did not state that there is no selection pressure, I stated that there is no macro selection pressure.

Do you believe that anatomy is contemporarilly subject to variation?
How is this possible?

Clarification: genotype and stimuli necessarily entails phenotype, phenotype necessarily entails allele frequency.

Therefore if humans no longer starve, navigate in 'extreme' environments, whilst evade predators, how is 'dominant' fitness isolated from 'recessive' fitness?

All humans survive with the exception of 'defects'.

Humans may continue to be taxonomically defined in the homo sapien sapiens spectrum, unless genetic engineering advances, or perhaps if a mass extinction resets culture.